radiator ???

tlk

new 1100 - driving through high grass and seeds, etc covering the screen over my radiator is there a way to block off the opening underneath where the grass is sucked onto the screen?

Brothfeder

I have the same problem. Looking at the radiator I can see call this junk between the coils. The screen doesn't seem to be doing its job. How do we clean the debris out? I was thinking compressed air, but would that blow it out or deeper in?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I blow it out with my long nozzle air compressor tip, then I squirt it with water and... while the crud left is still damp, blow it out again. I get a lot of crud out that way. I have put a piece of screen a bit from the radiator -all under the seat and the bottom of the intake there - and it caught all sorts of fine grass and dusty stuff. I had a picture but had a gremlin get into my picture file and lost many of my recent ones from the past 6 months that I didn't have backed up.. :( .

Brothfeder

Alright so blowing it out is okay. I was thinking of putting some sort of filter either between the screen and radiator or in front of the screen. There's a post that gave me that idea...

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15445&highlight=filter+radiator

How does the radiator take in air on these vehicles? Is it via a fan or passive? I always figured that little 'fan belt' was to power a power steering pump. But maybe there is a fan I'm unaware of?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Alright so blowing it out is okay. I was thinking of putting some sort of filter either between the screen and radiator or in front of the screen. There's a post that gave me that idea...

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15445&highlight=filter+radiator

How does the radiator take in air on these vehicles? Is it via a fan or passive? I always figured that little 'fan belt' was to power a power steering pump. But maybe there is a fan I'm unaware of?
Are you talking about a 900? It sucks air from the front and that is why the 900's have the metal screen there,but the fine particles get past it. The transmission cooler under the passenger side ( on the 2011 and up) has no screen and it gets grass sucked up by the engine fan. also from the Dashboard side. I had a picture of that rat nest looking thing after a run through the pasture, but lost most of them on my computer. I have plan for it though. If you put water through the fan, don't get the electrical things wet such as the alternator or fuse box. I always blow all the water away as a precaution . bordercollie

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I like the idea of the furnace filter used to pre-screen the dust and particles, but it needs to be checked often because once it gets filled it will cause over heating as well.

Great idea though.

Just one other note. Radiator fins are easily deformed and bent, go carefully when cleaning.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Spudhauler is right , the fins are like egg shells or even thinner...more like it seems paper so just don't drag the blower nozzle across them nor use a pressure washer. just my thumb is all I use on the waterhose when washing out the radiator . bordercollie.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
All rads are that fragile!

Very thin fins and lots of them transfer heat the best but makes them easily deformed.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You bet. :) My cousin once had a kid that about cut a radiator into with a strong pressure washer using it on his dozer$$$$. I learn from my mistakes but it is better if I learn from others so I don't mess up. (as much as normal) bordercollie