Adding additional hydrulics to a John Deere 455

trrjohn

am looking for help in adding one or two additional hydraulic circuits on my JD 455. It has 2 included circuits which are used for the FEL near the center of the left side , which is 2 sets of quick connect ports, one of which is also used for the rear three point and center lift. The 3 point port is locked out when using the FEL by a 1/4 turn valve.

I would like to add a grapple to the FEL bucket and perhaps a hydraulic 3 pt center link for the box blade. I have included a PDF of the hydraulic schematic. It would also be nice to use the 3 point with the loader.

It appears that the power steering has a Power Beyond which currently feed the 2 spool control valve for the other functions. I guess I could hook a new valve with PB on that line and hook the PB from the new valve to the existing valve. And then hook all of the returns together.

Do I install a new valve (joy stick 2 spool) on the loader and re-pipe the loader line to the new valve using hoses and quick couplers OR ? ? ?.

JD455 hydraulic schematic attached...

I need ideas and HELP.
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• 425_455 hydraulic schematic.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 47

Mith

I would split the line from the PB on the steering valve and add the loader valve in there as you say.

That means that the steering would have 1st priority, then the loader, and then the current 2 valves on the tractor.

Does the 455 have the appropriate flow for a loader?
Personally, I would prefer to add an additional pump and reserviour to the tractor, and run the loader and accessories off that. That would mean that the loader operation would not be affected by the steering. Any valves you plumb after the steering will slow or stop when you are steering, you might consider that a problem, you might not.

Also, although I expect you will be using double acting rams for your loader, if you use the standard system and splice into it like you would like to do then the rams will change the fluid level in the trans depending on if they are extended or retracted. I'm not sure if the trans has sufficient capacity to cope with the varying fluid levels.

trrjohn

I have attached 2 simplified PDF's of a before and after. It requires mounting a new loader valve on the removeable loader and using three sets of 1/4" quick couplers when you remove the loader. The new loader valve would be joystick with a PB port.

When you remove the loader, you recouple the power steering PB port to the original implemnet valve supply line to the exact same design as before modification, but with hoses instead of a steel tube..

Will this work??
John

Attachments

• After new Valve Addition.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Before Modification.pdf
    15.7 KB · Views: 37

Mith

Yes, that'll work.
Ideally you should use QDs that are 1 size larger than the hose, so if you have 1/4" hose use 3/8" QDs.

Mith

You'd probably get away with 1/4" no worries, but if you can, get the 3/8".
Any restrictions to the flow that you can avoid the better.
TBH, I'd probably use 3/8" hose too, the hoses on a loader can get quite long.

Presumably you are satisfied with the speed you will be getting out of the loader and are happy that the fluid level change wont affect the hydro operation. If I recall there is a factor loader available, if so then I suppose that would show it was sufficient in both departments.
I only say this as I have 7gpm going into my loader with 1.6" rams and the speed is about right.