2014 x900 transmission issues

Chris249

So I bought a 2014 x900 the other day. 1400 hours. Good shape. It didn't run at the time and I replaced the lift pump and all is well. The previous owner took the driveshaft out and stated it had a leak on the transmission side and needed a seal. He didn't want to mess with this x900 and had purchased a new one. I didn't have a lift to really inspect the driveshaft before I bought it, but I think it may have a transmission issue larger than the seal. The output shaft is pretty loose and moves back and forth, up and down. Perhaps some bad bearings or broken gears? Not sure, but he told me he drove it a bit with the minor seal leak. Can anyone confirm that this shaft should be rigid without much movement? I'm getting ready to pull the transmission out but just wanted to verify that before I did. Also having issues finding a replacement tranny, I guess these are different from the previous ones. Any ideas, leads, guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm tempted to put the driveshaft back in and see what happens. Thanks

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i suppose you mean the driveshaft that drives the front differential???? does the leak come from the front diff or the hydrostat? you need to get on Messicks and look at the exploded view to familiarize yourself.

Chris249

It's removed. Splined shaft feels really wobbly. Pretty sure these bearings and gears are toast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200506-173240.jpg
    Screenshot_20200506-173240.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 41

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
do you have to split the case to change the outer bearing? looks like a remove and replace job. i think you have to remove the engine and transaxle as a unit??

Chris249

Im not sure. Looking for someone who has done it. Not sure what else is damaged either. You definitely have to split it from the engine. You can't get anything out otherwise.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
problem is that the engine drives through the gearcase to the HST and then the HST drives the gears,so the gearcase sets between the HST and the engine. do you have a workshop manual ??

Chris249

Not yet, trying to find one currently. I probably will just pull engine, tranny, and hst. Break the motor and transmission apart and go from there. I thought I would be able to locate a used transmission but can't find anything currently. The dealership wasn't much help with anything here locally unfortunately. They wouldn't even price a complete transmission.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They wouldn't even price a complete transmission.
Wow, it does sound like a dealership not wanting to help. For parts and such, most of us go to Messick's.
Have you tried Craigslist? 2014 is pretty new to find a parts machine but it may be worth a glance.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Zoom. Messicks has one of the politest parts desk that I've ever spoken with. Best of luck to you ... collie

Chris249

Thanks for the input, I will give it a shot and keep my eyes open for a donor unit. I will let you know how it goes. Found a service manual. In the process of reading it. Please let me know if you guys run across a transmission.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
pretty sure the transmission is the same in the X1140 and the X1120 also so you can broaden your search. but confirm i am correct before purchase

Chris249

I was looking at that. I have found some diagrams. Looks the same, however the assembly does have different part numbers.K7731-10032 for the X1140 . K7591-10222 for the X900. Both cost $7500 from Kubota... Looks the same though. Not sure if gearing is slightly different since the 1140 has more hp and a higher topend speed.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
oh i'm sorry. i forgot yours was an X900 not an x1100. i don't know if the x900 has the same gears. probably not.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Possible parts source. I am not sure if you are in Ohio or not but Taylor and Sons in Canal Winchester have quite a few parts RTVs outside their facility. It may be a shot in the dark but their number is 614-837-5516. From the highway, it looks like at least one wrecked x900 to me. Going by at 60+mph, I can't tell how picked over it is. I hope it helps.