Can't get into low range

OkeeDon

My TC18 with Hydrostatic tranny has been almost flawless for over 1500 hours, but a problem reared it's head today. It started by being a bit difficult to engage the low range, and within minutes I couldn't get it into low range at all.

It was late when it happened, so I put it away for the evening. I checked the tranny fluid level and it's low; I'm hoping that when I add some fluid in the morning it will fix itself. If not, does anyone have any ideas about what to check next?

It goes into high range just fine, and operates normally in high, but it refuses to go into low. Is there a linkage adjustment? I used to have a service manual saved on the computer, but lost it when changing computers.

I'll be lost without it -- it is my "almost everything" tool.

jwstewar

Staff member
I can't help you on specifics, other than to say good luck. I would definitely start with looking at the linkages. Maybe a little bit of PB Blaster or oil. Maybe it is binding up on something. I've also had a stick get wedged up in the linkages and not allow the tractor to go into gear. I'm pretty sure you know of the trick of, if it won't go into gear, leave it in neutral and bump the hydro pedal, and try it again. If it isn't simple like that, it sounds like it could get expensive.

OkeeDon

Fixed it. The plastic seat belt housing broke, probably from exposure (the poor tractor has been sitting outside for over 5 years). The seat belt uncoiled itself one turn.

The metal buckle got caught in the linkage. I pulled it free and tied it up (never use the thing in totally flat Florida; the one time I upset the tractor by backing into a hole, if I had been wearing the belt I would be dead).

Linkage fixed, but it wouldn't start. turns out when I pulled the belt out of the way, two of the safety interlock wires were pulled loose. Plugged them back in, and the tractor runs as good as new.

If only the poor thing looked 1/10th as good as it runs...

PBinWA

I had to replace the rubber boot on my shifter this year. I think it's cheaper to replace the occasional part than to build a special place for the tractor. Besides, if I stored my tractor in a building then I'd feel like I have to clean it.

jwstewar

Staff member
Glad to see it was an easy fix. Forgot about that, once in awhile even with my self retracting seatbelt, it will get down and get caught in the linkage. Forgot about that.:sorry:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Some of the TC18's don't have a retractable seat belt, like mine. So I would have been little help if it was still a problem.

But I was going to suggest, just bump the hydro pedal real easy and mine goes into low if had been a little hesitant to do so.

OkeeDon

My belt is self-retracting, er --it was, at one time, and still is, sorta, except the last few inches are permanently exposed.

And, yes, it did get upside down in a 10' wide x 20' long x 10' deep hole we dug to bury some landscape debris. I forgot the hole was there (it hadn't been there the day before), backed one rear wheel into it, and tumbled in. It ended up with the loader arms on the bank and the roll bar on the bottom.

The problem was, there was 3' of water in the bottom, and if I had been belted in, my head would have been underwater. Glug. Instead, I fell off the seat and ended up sitting in the water. I reached up and turned the key off.

The reference to the camera was that my beloved Sony Mavica went into the water, along with a cell phone. There is also still a 10' chain buried somewhere down there, next to the slow-moving triangle thingie.

I had a large track hoe (excavator to you Northerners) on site to dig my pond, so I climbed out of the hole, went over to the track hoe operator and asked him to slide on over and pull my tractor out of the hole. He pulled it up and flipped it over like it was a toy, I hopped on and fired it up and drove away, no worse except for losing some diesel fuel and hydraulic fluid in the hole. Don't tell the EPA...:rolleyes: