Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Other Equipment Forums > Outdoor & Lawn equipment. Chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, baggers, mowers... Forum

Outdoor & Lawn equipment. Chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, baggers, mowers... Forum Lawn and Garden equipment, Push mowers, weed wackers & misc lawn equipment.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM

fred1951 is on a distinguished road
Angry 2 cycle engines

I have a couple of chainsaws the moisture got into and the pistons won't turn over very well. Ran fine when I quit using them. Any body use PB Blaster to clean walls and rings to keep from taking them apart? Figure I would need to take the plug out andput it in there instead of taking the carb off. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

I'd recommend Kroil instead of PB Blaster.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM

trackhorse is on a distinguished road

If you take off the muffler(easier than carb) you will get a good view of the side of the piston. any damage to the piston or rings and the saw is probably junk. The chrome lined cylinder is pretty tough and is usually resistant to moisture. Most likey the problem is with the main bearings, they can be easily damaged from moisture and will make it tough to turn over.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 AM

ENTS is on a distinguished road

Did these saws go swiming? How long have they been sitting? What brand and model? I've got some project saws that have been sitting for years and still turn over just fine. As far as using BPB, I wouldn't. BPB is some strong stuff. You may not want to use it since if it gets into the crank it could (I'm just speculating here) do harm to the seals.

I would do as previously mentioned, pull the muff. and check what it looks like inside. Pulling the jug is no big deal and makes cleaning up piston and jug walls easier. If piston and walls o.k. then you're gonna have to tear it down since bottom end and crank bearings may be at fault.

Curious as to what you find.

Later,

OVERWORKED, UNDER PAID
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Just thought of something.

Have you confirmed it's the piston? I've encountered similar symptoms (hard to crank) and in my case, it was a clogged muffler. Bees/wasps like to move in. I cracked the bolts where it attached to the block to give it a bypass and gave it a pull. It spun easily. I then removed the muffler and cleaned it out. All is well.