tracked dozer

fixit10101

Has anyone fabricated a dozer (like a Struck) from the running gear from a zero-turn mower. I can get a zero-turn mower from a scrap yard for scrap metal price and am wondering if it's worth doing. Would love a Struck but can't afford it.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
The hydraulic drives on a zero turn were not made for that kind of work. I doubt they would last very long.

BTW welcome to the forum!!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Keep looking on Craigslist and Ebay for a Cletrac. About $3,000. Tiny, simple, competent.

Here's my neighbor pulling a sprayer when the ground is to soggy for a wheel tractor.

attachment.php

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Has anyone fabricated a dozer (like a Struck) from the running gear from a zero-turn mower. I can get a zero-turn mower from a scrap yard for scrap metal price and am wondering if it's worth doing. Would love a Struck but can't afford it.
Welcome to the forum!

What kind of ZTR is it? (Make/model and engine size if you have it)

What do you plan on moving with it as it relates do dozing?

Although I agree with others that it's better to find a small dozer, if it's a relatively beefy ZTR and you have very little invested, it may be worth giving it a shot. Some ZTR's come with snow blades to give you an idea of their capabilities. I'd look at internet images to get close-ups on mounting and such.

Examples
path_pro_zero_turn_mower.png

NAP-ZR3_12122_feature2.jpg

Putting tracks on a tractor is not hard. I had a problem with hawthorns. I was mowing a large acreage and those things go through tires with ease. Wound up making tracks for it and no more issues.

What I did was take 8in channel, cut it a bit wider than the tire, an inch or so, lie them tight together and weld chain to them. Used 3links per each joint. Welding one piece to the other with a link between let them fold around the tire. Used ready bolt at the ends to tie the ends. Used 3inch about 6inches long on the sides to keep them on.

To put them on, I backed up on one, tied a rope through the spokes of the wheel, and then backed up until it was wrapped. I put a block of wood under the second cleat at the end. Let some air out of the tire, bolted the ends together and reinflated.

Did this for all four tires. The difference on soft ground was amazing. No more flats. I was able to finish mowing with impunity. Saved me a bundle in labor. Was going to have to cut them down and put through a chipper. The mower did the job.