Rain rain ...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We are finally getting a decent amount of rain. It's rained the past 3 days. Hard at times. :thumb:
We need it bad or else we'd soon be in a drought like they are having in the southern US.
Have the rains slacked off over in jolly ole England MIth?

Mith

Yes, finally, we have had over a week with no rain. On the downside its been hovering around freezing until the sun comes up.
Guess whats forecast for tomorrow though :D Yup, rain.....

Oddly, despite all the rain this summer, it doesn't seem as wet and boggy as it usually is. Maybe its soaking in better or something.

jwstewar

Staff member
Yeah, Doc we finally got the rain. But I sure do wish it could've held off for a few more days. We brought the house trailer in this week that we are going to live in until our house is rebuilt. Because of how wet the ground was they ended up having to pull it in. That has made hooking it up a bigger challenge (not that I did it), but because of it getting pulled it in, they now had to run a trench acress my driveway, trench the sewer line through the back yard, and while trying to back the trailer in it sank beside my culvert and they ran through the side of it. I now have to dig that up and fix it. Since I had 2 sections in, it was 40 ft. wide, I'll probably just dig out to the bad part and cut it out. Sure wish I had that backhoe on the back of my little New Holland.

HeyBob

Rain here in Michigan............now all of our dirt roads are mud, and we have plenty of them.

Grrrr

The rain is meant to be coming back to the UK today and tomorrow :angry:

We have had a good month or so recently, made up for the abysmal summer a bit.

HeyBob

We have had a good month or so recently, made up for the abysmal summer a bit.

What is summer like over there anyway? How hot does it get, do you guys have air conditioning?

Do you still drink warm beer or has Lucas learned how to build a refrigerator yet? :poke: :D

Grrrr

What is summer like over there anyway? How hot does it get, do you guys have air conditioning?

Do you still drink warm beer or has Lucas learned how to build a refrigerator yet? :poke: :D

This summer was rubbish. Rain rain rain. Then more rain. Then some more :D

Harvest was pretty drastic. Very hard to get it cut.

Summer top temperatures are meant to be high 20's (centigrade)

Not many have AC I don't think :D Just heating ;)

Mith

Summer top temperatures are meant to be high 20's
Often gets above 30s though, for you old fashined guys thats about 90's :D

As to warm beer, its a crime to put a fine ale in the fridge. Infact, I place mine near to the fire to allow it to warm before consumption. ;)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Infact, I place mine near to the fire to allow it to warm before consumption. ;)

I have not aquired the taste for warm beer. After a long day hot day in the fields or shop their is nothing as refreshing as an ice cold beer. ummmm
:beer:
I wouldn't mind leaving your beers out of the cooler Mith. That leaves more room for MINE!!!!! :D :yum:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got to thinking about beer and forgot to comment to Jim (jestwar) about his trailer woes.
I can't relate. When we moved and had a big ole 18 wheeler brining our stuff it had rained a lot. It was February and the one month we would have thought we didn't have to worry about mud was February. Wrong. I rained a whole lot. The ground was saturated. The truck got stuck 200 ft from our house. We had to shuttle everything out of the truck with my little S10 pickup. What a day that was. We tried our best to keep mud out of our new house .... but it was impossible. Once the truck was unloaded we still could not move it. A neighbor saw the problem and came over with his big articulated tractor. He pulled the truck out easily. A good way to meet a new neighbor and we got to see his tractor in action. :thumb:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm surprised he could find enough traction to pull the moving van out.

When I worked construction I saw a readymix truck back as fast as he could (not very fast) to get up a front yard with a gentle slope, in wet weather. The moment he left the pavement it looked like he backed off the end of a pier. Nose in the sky, truck buried halfway over the differentials. We had to wheelbarrow the concrete the rest of the way. The second truck came and couldn't pull him out. Finally the third truck, loaded, plus the now empty second truck pulling in series got enough traction on the wet asphalt to pull him up and out. Looked like an elephant dance or something.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm surprised he could find enough traction to pull the moving van out.

It is a L shaped drive. The truck was backing the trailer down the drive. In swinging for the L the rear wheels of the tractor went off the gravel drive. The articulated tractor (big ole logging type of tractor) was able to stay on the gravel to get traction. It came out much easier than any of us expected. Of course that was after we had shuttled every piece of furniture from the truck to the house. :pat: