help Lack of power

kobota dan

I have just bought a bx 22 and it seems to lack in power it want even get its self out of a rut with out rocking back and forth or push dirt with out straing

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When was the last time the hyd fluid and filters were changed? Were OEM fluids and filters used? There's been issues like this that were the fault of clogged filters or cheap fluids.

Art454

If fluids in hyd. are ok and the engine does not pull down......I have a 23 and there is a steel screen filter located towards the bottom after you take the left rear tire off facing the back of the tractor....there is a screw that holds it in and its about 6 inches long.......you need to drain the tranny before first tho....try and keep it clean and use a clean drain pan and run it threw a funnel with a screen if you want to use it again cause we do not no the problem yet so why waste good stuff incase this does not work.
It may be in a different place than my bx 23 but I don't think so....maybe someone else can chime in on were is is but I think they keeped it there......its about 1 inch in dia. before you pull it out.
If there is a lot of shavings on it clean it then re install it and don't froget the o ring.....if there is shaveing in it change the hyd. filter while your at it.
If hyd. fliuds looks bad or smells burnt the pump may be going out.
There is also a pressure spring but we can get into that if this does not work....could be broke but I doubt it.
I had one in the shop for a winter project a few years back with same problem as yours.
I tried all the simple stuff which did not work.....took the hyd. pump off took it apart really did not find anything....clean it up cause it was dirty inside.....new o ring put it back together and it pulled perfect....the guy got lucky as I think the pump he said was like 2,000 dollars and said he junk it before he put that much in it.
Don't take much to junk things these days a parts are just getting outa site. They want you to just by new.
The pump looks just like the one I did on a mtd lawn mower and all I did was just take it apart clean it good and that one worked also.
They have test guages you can test the pressure by...but I dont have one....dealer should but you would have to let them fix it or become buddy with mechanic....some mechanics will really go outa there way to help you even if you pay them to come to your house to check it out for a small fee as its free money for them.
If the pump is tore up though expect to buy a new one or try and find a used one or junk it out if you do not have much in it.
I bet if they never cleaned that screen it is mostly pluged and the pump cant get enough fluid to work as it should.
I cleaned mine at the 50 hour changed and I bet on both my bx23 I have half that screen was plug with shavings.......done it at 400 hours the next time and it was as clean as it could be.
The first 50 or 60 hours is were all the parts break in and were the shavings come from....unless you grind the gears a lot after the first 50 or 60 hours.
I have grind the gears myself as sometimes I forget and press on the peddle a little bit going from high to low...or vice versa....After the first time i did it at half throttle now i idle it before make high to low or visa versa.
I thing there was a screen inside the pump also which had some crap on it but to me did not look like it was the cause of the problem.....more dirty then anythiong else.
GL with it and hope its one of the simple thing I said.
The gear box on the deck if you break a gear...you have to buy all the gears and like for another 200 dollars you can buy a whole new gear box.
And if you have to buy a shaft with the gears and a bearing its more than a new gear box.
For the hyd pump all you can buy is the gear on the end of the shaft and the o ring.

Art

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did not see it mentioned previously ...but I'm guessing you already know with hydro you don't want to floor the pedal for more power. You actually let off the pedal. It is weird but you do get used to it. That is probably not your issue but I figured it worth mentioning just in case.

Art454

Doc on the rtv it works that way....had a 900 now have the 1100....but on the bx 22,23,25 they don't work that way as I own both the tlb23 and the 2350 lawn tractor.
My tlb in low with WOT will pull a lot till you over power the relief valve then it will pull the motor down a little.....backing off the gas does nothing but makes it worse. To get maximum back hoe pressure you have to run WOT or very close to it.....3,000 to 3400 rpm. At idle wont even raise the front end loader unless you give it 1/4 throttle....same with the lawn mower....deck won't raise unless you give it 1/4 throttle.....normal with the this kubota series.

I plow down trees and brush with the front end loader with no problems up to about 3 inches in dia.....he has a problem if he can't even get outs a rut or a steep grade as I have no problem with these at 1/2 throttle in high.
If he has a manual he can take out the relief valve without losing any hyd fluid and see if its broken.
They use shims to adj. the pressure....on mine the back hoe was sorta weak so I bought some from kubota and used the thinest one first and that did the trick...they run in a certain pressure range....but since I don't have all the stuff u need to check it just go slow with shims till you are happy and don't over due it or you will wreck the pump....its a fine line but a .005 shim makes a big diffrence there.
With the back hoe I have dug out 4 foot tree stumps and with the bucket full of dirt if you get a tree root with the boom just right the front wheels come off the ground about 2 feet and when you try to let it down slow you can't and boom there goes your back from the front end hitting the ground. I try not to do that gets old on a 60 old year old back....but once in awhile you hope just little more will break the root.....not always.....lol
Am glad I got the 23 rather than the 25 as they have really down sized the cyl. and pins on the new ones.
A 4 feet tree stump may take 16 hours to dig out so you can bury it under ground tho.....if you have time I just work on it a couple hours a day when I feel like it.
Its a hobby tractor not a money maker thats for sure...but great it tight places were if you need to dig for a 4 or 6 inch line then it might make you a few bucks.
I only use it hard for about 2 or 3 hours at a time as the hyd. temps do start to get hot so I never over due it.....there is always another day.

Sorry I see I rambled on here.....lol

Art

kobota dan

power

Thanks guys yesterday i changed the fluid and filter and cleaned the 2nd filter it did help but i think it can do better