One of my hobbies!!

Guess I can show off one of my hobbies. I make knives, when I have time. I make em from pieces of scrounged steel, sometimes I use blanks. Depends on my mood and the time available. Left hand photo is a skinning knife with a striped ebony wood handle. Right hand photo is damascus hunting blade with an elkhorn handle and brass guard.

Attachments

• knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 316
  • elkhandle.JPG
    elkhandle.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 311

Mith

Thats some beautiful work! Too nice to use for sure.

How do you go about hardening the blade?

Thats some beautiful work! Too nice to use for sure.

How do you go about hardening the blade?

Thanks for the compliment!

I usually try to use something like used lawnmower blades or auto leaf springs or I buy a knife blank. These are usually hardened already. However, if I do need to harden a blade I do have a gas forge that I use for heating the steel before the hardening quench. Tempering can be done easily in an oven. For a long time now I have been learning to make my own damascus steel. Not very good at it yet. It takes alot of practice. Most of my damascus blades I make from either blanks or premade damascus slabs. Making damascus steel itself is a talent that I am still working on. :respect:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
You should be proud, those are nice!

We do have a classified section ........... ;)

mla2ofus

Those are really nice!! A fellow I worked w/ yrs ago made knives from old,rusty wire rope. He mixed up his own flux to weld the wires together. He claimed old wire rope made the best knife blades because it is so hard yet resilient.
Mike

Mark777

Those are Stunning !!

I don't know what I was expecting to see....but what a surprise - your knifes are absolutely beautiful.

You should be proud, those are nice!

We do have a classified section ........... ;)

Thanks!!!

You know...I have never sold one of my knives. Most I have either given away to family and friends or used in a trade. Hmmmm..let me rephrase that.:whistle: I sometimes trade one of my knives for something else. :respect:I have had folks that had a knife also that they wanted a custom handle put on and I will do that sometimes.

The right hand photo is another one of my knives. Not a good photo at all because I hadnt cleaned the knife before I took the photo. Plus its a little fuzzy. The photo on the left is something I do for the ladies. Its a standard 3 buck nail file from Walmart. I remove the plastic handle and put on a small deerhorn for a handle. I then use the case and wrap it in deerskin to make a sheath for it.

Attachments

• Knives 005.JPG
    Knives 005.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 295
  • Knife 002.JPG
    Knife 002.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 295
Those are really nice!! A fellow I worked w/ yrs ago made knives from old,rusty wire rope. He mixed up his own flux to weld the wires together. He claimed old wire rope made the best knife blades because it is so hard yet resilient.
Mike

Wire damascus is a popular medium for making knives from. In some ways it is easier to forge a billet from but also has its drawbacks. I have forged some wire damascus, but as far as I am concerned...its still a work in progress.;) Its a skill I dont know if I will ever be good at, but who know.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask, what is the goldchaser member ID about? Do you also hunt for gold in the hills of Colorado?

So, I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask, what is the goldchaser member ID about? Do you also hunt for gold in the hills of Colorado?

Yep...though rarely anymore. I got a domain of the name years ago with a thought of doing a commercial site. When I had my accident things kinda went by the wayside and I went a different direction. Now it just have it parked and use it as an ID. I still have all kinds of equipment for prospecting, a small backpack dredge, drywasher, a few other items, some goldpans and odds and ends. And I still have my metal detectors as well. Just dont get out much with any of it anymore.
:whistle:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm curious about the equipment used. Post pics of the more unusual stuff when you have time.
What is the biggest one time find? Did you support yourself with your finds?

I'm curious about the equipment used. Post pics of the more unusual stuff when you have time.
What is the biggest one time find? Did you support yourself with your finds?

Will try to post some pics of some of the equip soon.
My biggest find? Wasnt that much, but up in Montana I found about 3 ounces of gold dust in one day running a small sluice box and just working the cracks in the stream and up in the bank. Mostly small dust but there were a few real small pickers. A couple of pockets.

Hardly make a living.:forgetit: Some folks get lucky because there is still alot of gold out there, but most will just break even or lose money. For most folks it is pretty much a fun hobby, though it is hard work. And it does have its rewards. Finding some gold. :D