i feel the need for speed

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
did a bit of testing today using the gps.

2014 Kubota X1100C bone stock except for tansmission adjustment to factory spec and ITP Baja Cross 26 x11 x12 tires. tires aired up to 20 psi rear and 12 psi front. payload aprox 600 lbs. weather was 28 mph wind temp 56 degrees F. road trip was 4 mile with three stops and turns some wind to my back and some direct in my face. some rolling hills about 3 percent grade for 1/2 mile roads were dirt and gravel,soft sand. average speed was 27.5 mph on the gps. the tires add almost 3mph over the speedometer. :harley:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
27.5 MPH?!?!? That's screaming fast. Could almost keep up with my Suzuki 80cc ATV.
Hope you were wearing your helmet, seat belt and nomex outfit. ;)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that is the average speed. on long grades the lowest it would go was 22 mph but i must have been screaming down the downslope. Ha! i picked the ITP tires because of the radius was a little larger than some so i could get a little more advantage to the gearing ratio and they had a low rolling resistance. i mentioned the tire pressure because that seems to be the sweet spot for my set up. sometimes i lower the tire pressure for boggy ground and can really tell the difference in speed loss.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't get out on the road much to check mine but I don't get that high. I bought Maxxis Bighorn tires for their more aggressive tread but also found they stand 1.5" taller than what they're supposed to be (at 19 PSI). Going down a pretty decent grade, I can get up to 28 (with the sail up and the wind behind me) but according to the RTV's speedo (as opposed to GPS), I struggle to get up to 25.
Not at all complaining as I rarely do any road travel. 95% of my travels are done in M or L range.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought new tires this past week. I changed the recommended size from 225/45/18 to 225/50/18. Gives me about 3/4" more sidewall / taller tire. Not as sporty looking but I had read it helps the ride, and that is true it did help the ride.

But it also changed the speedo. With the standard tires the speed ohmmeter read 2mph low. One web site I read said changing height from 45 to 50 would change speedo by 2mph. I installed a gps app on my smartphone and was able to verify that. Now my speedo reads about the same as GPS. :thumb:

Long winded way of letting you know you can GPS your RTV very easy if you have a smartphone.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I bought new tires this past week. I changed the recommended size from 225/45/18 to 225/50/18. Gives me about 3/4" more sidewall / taller tire. Not as sporty looking but I had read it helps the ride, and that is true it did help the ride.

But it also changed the speedo. With the standard tires the speed ohmmeter read 2mph low. One web site I read said changing height from 45 to 50 would change speedo by 2mph. I installed a gps app on my smartphone and was able to verify that. Now my speedo reads about the same as GPS. :thumb:

Long winded way of letting you know you can GPS your RTV very easy if you have a smartphone.

yes when i was shopping for new tires i looked at the radius on all of the tires i was interested in. i was very surprised that even though the tire sizes were all the same 26x11x12 that the radius varied a lot. i was a little concerned that the x1100c would not have enough power to turn the larger radius tires and actually be bad for performance in all ranges but was glad to see that there wasn't an issue.:a1:

ItBmine

I sent an email to Kubota and asked if there is ever a chance they can
at least give the RTV-X1100C at least a 35 MPH top speed.

Well, ignore all the internet talk because I got the real answer.

"The diesel's are work vehicles and since they do not exceed 40 KPH
they function as a tractor with a slow moving vehicle sign. So they
will not be offered as a sportier machine in the future."

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I sent an email to Kubota and asked if there is ever a chance they can
at least give the RTV-X1100C at least a 35 MPH top speed.

Well, ignore all the internet talk because I got the real answer.

"The diesel's are work vehicles and since they do not exceed 40 KPH
they function as a tractor with a slow moving vehicle sign. So they
will not be offered as a sportier machine in the future."

Yep! most states have a speed limited to 25 MPH to be considered farm or utility. that is why in my state and county i can drive my RTV on the roads without a tag. also why i think KTC derates them a little. mine will run pretty much 29 mph now on the flat.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
I got her up to 27 the other day .. I think going any faster they would feel squirely .
Saw the constable on the way back he didnt seem interested in me.

Texas it one of those states that you can (If your brave enough) drive your tractor on the street.
As farmer and ranchers do all the time . Field to field .. Do I need a orange placard to be legal?
I was gonna tell the law I was running ,,well.. (crawling) to the feed store down the road.

ItBmine

I talked to some law officers here in Ontario Canada about that. The way they see it, is yes technically we can drive an RTV down the road without insurance and only an SMV triangle same as a tractor. But they all said that if something were to happen, again same with a tractor, I would would be open to law suits and getting sued.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Fair enough.
I always hate it when on Texas back roads . Speed limit 55 to 60 top a hill and :pat: damn near run up a Big Tractors
rear end.. Hay forks looking right at ya.. We do call the Farm to Market roads.