Struts and Springs

G

<font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #efefef">There are a heaver set of struts and springs available for use when you have the front windshield and or cab kits. We have had several units where we never bothered to put these on because we didn't see the need. Has anyone else had experience messing with these? Does the replacment set make a difference great enough to justify the cost and time?
</font></p>

G

<font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #efefef">There are a heaver set of struts and springs available for use when you have the front windshield and or cab kits. We have had several units where we never bothered to put these on because we didn't see the need. Has anyone else had experience messing with these? Does the replacment set make a difference great enough to justify the cost and time?
</font></p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How much does the cab weigh? I have the plastic top and windshield and combined, the probably only weigh 20#. Never even considered the new struts and springs for it.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How much does the cab weigh? I have the plastic top and windshield and combined, the probably only weigh 20#. Never even considered the new struts and springs for it.</p>

Ricochet

[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]

</font></p>[/quote]

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I think it wise to use the heavier duty springs with a cab due to all the added weight. You can either replace the McPherson strut assemblies with the HD strut assembly kit or just replace the springs with HD springson the standard/factory struts...the struts in the replacement HDstrut assemblies are the same as the standard/factory struts. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"></span>It’s just easier to replace the strut assemblies over replacing just the springs.</span></p>

Ricochet

[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]

</font></p>[/quote]

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I think it wise to use the heavier duty springs with a cab due to all the added weight. You can either replace the McPherson strut assemblies with the HD strut assembly kit or just replace the springs with HD springson the standard/factory struts...the struts in the replacement HDstrut assemblies are the same as the standard/factory struts. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"></span>It’s just easier to replace the strut assemblies over replacing just the springs.</span></p>

G

The question still remains, is the windshield and/or cab enough weight to justify needing those springs. It seems to be that adding justover 200lbsfrom botha windshield and roof should be a rather minor shift in weight. Especialy considering that you can see a much bigger swing than that just by putting a few passangers on the seats. I know Kubota always strives to do things right, but is skipping the cost and headache of the struts a reasonable thing to do.

G

The question still remains, is the windshield and/or cab enough weight to justify needing those springs. It seems to be that adding justover 200lbsfrom botha windshield and roof should be a rather minor shift in weight. Especialy considering that you can see a much bigger swing than that just by putting a few passangers on the seats. I know Kubota always strives to do things right, but is skipping the cost and headache of the struts a reasonable thing to do.

Ricochet

[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]The question still remains, is the windshield and/or cab enough weight to justify needing those springs. It seems to be that adding justover 200lbsfrom botha windshield and roof should be a rather minor shift in weight. Especialy considering that you can see a much bigger swing than that just by putting a few passangers on the seats. I know Kubota always strives to do things right, but is skipping the cost and headache of the struts a reasonable thing to do. [/quote]

Well, according to Kubota I guess the answer is Yes. [:)]

Ricochet

[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]The question still remains, is the windshield and/or cab enough weight to justify needing those springs. It seems to be that adding justover 200lbsfrom botha windshield and roof should be a rather minor shift in weight. Especialy considering that you can see a much bigger swing than that just by putting a few passangers on the seats. I know Kubota always strives to do things right, but is skipping the cost and headache of the struts a reasonable thing to do. [/quote]

Well, according to Kubota I guess the answer is Yes. [:)]

FL_Cracker

Although Kubota planned for two people in the front seat, if you add 200lbs of accessories and two people you've increased your front load by 50%. I hear a lot of talk about front winches, another 50lbs. Front storage baskets, snow plows and things like this would also require HD front struts.

FL_Cracker

Although Kubota planned for two people in the front seat, if you add 200lbs of accessories and two people you've increased your front load by 50%. I hear a lot of talk about front winches, another 50lbs. Front storage baskets, snow plows and things like this would also require HD front struts.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
FL_Cracker

Welcome to the forum. Glad you came on over here. Keep us posted on your new RTV (and any accessories you make).

On occasion, I've had a little tire rub but it was under pretty heavy load (probably 1000# in the box), on a corner where the steering is at its limit andone (opposite) side of the machine about 4-6" higher than the other. With all that happening, I've gotten a little rub but then again, my tires also stand 1 1/2" taller than OEM.

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
FL_Cracker

Welcome to the forum. Glad you came on over here. Keep us posted on your new RTV (and any accessories you make).

On occasion, I've had a little tire rub but it was under pretty heavy load (probably 1000# in the box), on a corner where the steering is at its limit andone (opposite) side of the machine about 4-6" higher than the other. With all that happening, I've gotten a little rub but then again, my tires also stand 1 1/2" taller than OEM.

Brian

FL_Cracker

<font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #efefef">bczoom

The option thoughts are running. I have found a aluminum extruded track that can be installed on both top edges of the bed that will give an RTV or Mule two (one on top and one on inside edge) T-Tracks that accessories can be slid onto and held in place with a hand tightened knob. Some of the options are good for work and some for play. Heres a few that can be attached to the rails.

* Rear Overhead support bar. Same "H" as cab. (Ladder, Lumber, Pole Pruner)
* Bed Devider
* Tie down loop
* Tool Box, Slides front to rear
* Side Extenders, High Sides
* Rear Seat & Foot Rest
* Side Step to enter bed at front of p/u box
* Bed Extender,with tailgate down gain 12",with tailgate up box out 12" rear space

Other items could be designed like chain saw holder, water keg, hand tool rack, gas can holder, gun racks, all to attached to existing rail system.

A matching cross bar can be added to back & front of cab and can be used for lights, ladder rack, drink holders (hunting rig), accessory tray over cab (hunting rig) all fully adjustable.

It's a very neat system. will show more later when I get some items made. Right now I need my RTV before I can do anything. Tracks will take about two weeks to get the first time.

Any suggestions of other accessories needed let me know.

Charles
</font></p>

FL_Cracker

<font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #efefef">bczoom

The option thoughts are running. I have found a aluminum extruded track that can be installed on both top edges of the bed that will give an RTV or Mule two (one on top and one on inside edge) T-Tracks that accessories can be slid onto and held in place with a hand tightened knob. Some of the options are good for work and some for play. Heres a few that can be attached to the rails.

* Rear Overhead support bar. Same "H" as cab. (Ladder, Lumber, Pole Pruner)
* Bed Devider
* Tie down loop
* Tool Box, Slides front to rear
* Side Extenders, High Sides
* Rear Seat & Foot Rest
* Side Step to enter bed at front of p/u box
* Bed Extender,with tailgate down gain 12",with tailgate up box out 12" rear space

Other items could be designed like chain saw holder, water keg, hand tool rack, gas can holder, gun racks, all to attached to existing rail system.

A matching cross bar can be added to back & front of cab and can be used for lights, ladder rack, drink holders (hunting rig), accessory tray over cab (hunting rig) all fully adjustable.

It's a very neat system. will show more later when I get some items made. Right now I need my RTV before I can do anything. Tracks will take about two weeks to get the first time.

Any suggestions of other accessories needed let me know.

Charles
</font></p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Charles,

Sounds like a very cool system/setup.
Make sure to take pictures of what you're making.

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Charles,

Sounds like a very cool system/setup.
Make sure to take pictures of what you're making.

Brian