J.D. 4040 A.C. Compressor problems.

jd4040

My compressors have been lasting from 14-18 months. They start leaking freon at the front seal, throwing freon on the tool box. Condensor looks clean and just about everything else has been changed. I'm told that this has been an ongoing problem with the old Delco A-6 compressors. Any ideas? Has anyone got any feedback on the Denso conversion kit? I see them on ebay and learned recently that John Dealers stock them.
Thanks.

Oldjohn

I have two 2755 tractors one with the Delco and one later model with the Nippondenso compressor. The Denso is somewhat better but not much. I believe the problem is poor design. The compressor is mounted too close to the muffler. Further the compressor is mounted high under the hood out of the engine fan airflow. I made a baffle from 14 ga. metal and mounted it between the muffler and compressor on the older unit with the Delco. I'm into the third season with no problem so far.

jd110

Just curious. Are you geting your compresssors from deere? New or remanufactured? Deere has recently quit selling the reman units due to reliability issues. They now sell only new compressors. By the way, the Denso conversions have had good resullts.

Oldjohn

Sorry for delayed reply. Can't send a pic of the baffle I sold both tractors this week. My baffle was a flat piece of metal about 4X6 inches with tabs I welded on to fit extra holes in the compressor. I don't recall the 4040 series but didn't they have external mufflers? If so it may be moot. The 2755's have the muffler under the hood very close to the compressor. I agree the Denso is more reliable, but I was lucky to get three seasons out of them. O'Reilly's has a part number for a rebuilt A6 for Deere applications. About $185.00 I think I might could find the PN if you need it. Rebuilt A6 compressors are easy to find, the size of the clutch pulley that Deere used makes them scarce.

Good Luck