Soil Mover

alltoys

Hi somewhat new to this site. I seen last year someone from this site had made a mini Soil Mover, I tried to find this fellow maybe you can help me.

I may try to build one of these for my tractor as I have a good deal of earth to move this unit would be excellent. I have a 28hp Montana just itching to give it a try.

Attachments

• soilmover04.JPG
    soilmover04.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 469

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The soil mover sure looks interesting. I remember some posts on it but a quick search did not find them.
While we are looking, I'm also wondering if you've considered a box blade? I've been amazed at how a box blade can dress terrain. I've never used a soil mover like you pictured above though.

alltoys

My problem is I have to move some sod/earth to another location on my property about 800 feet away. Although a box blade would work by ripping up the earth, dumping it then picking it up with the loader. I thought this unit would work better for me. It would be able to move earth and level land as well. I may have to build a land planer that would use a box blade type of back end to hold the earth.

As has been said necessity is the mother of invention.

alltoys

I like the Hoel Scherinc DB-5 I may try to build a similar unit. I have most of the steel just need time to put it together.

shinnlinger

Hi,

I wonder if a 28 horse machine can pull such a contraption??? A dump trailer (Or old dump truck) might be a better bet for your situation

alltoys

The picture above in the first thread is of a half yard home made scraper the fellow has an 18 hp lawn tractor pulling it.

Looking on the web I can handle 1.5 yard bucket with my tractor at least so they say. I would think the major hp draw will be from the bucket cutting into the ground. From videos of the Hoel Sherinc scraper it shows a stepped cutter on the cutting edge that might be the way to make it scrape easier than a straight across cutter. Another deciding factor will be how much the 3pt will lift not sure how much 1.5 yards of earth weighs plus weight of the scraper.

Erik

if you figure on 1 ton per yard of soil, you should have some cushion for weight of implement. (16 tons of gravel fills a 12 yard truck, soil should weigh less than gravel) Also, your 3 point weill not be lifting the entire weight - the back tires will be taking half of it as well.

Brutus

Black dirt will weigh about 1.25 Ton per yard. Clay and gravel weigh in pretty close.........1.4 ton per yard is a close enough figure to work with accurately.