Front PTO

dieseldrew

Hi, newbie here.
Was looking for a little help if possible.
I have a Yanmar 187D and have been looking for an electric PTO for a belly mower for this machine. I believe a 186 is the same and not sure if there are others. I also wondered if any J.D. PTO's might work ?
I thought maybe someone on here had run into this before or maybe knows of a 187 parts tractor somewhere ? I've already talked to Hoye, but have not investigated others yet. Any information or leads would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Yanmar Bretherin.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The kits were so rare that I would be surprised if one turns up. I've never seen one offered in 15 years owning Yanmars.

Here's an old thread elsewhere 10 years ago, discussing it.

Below: a diagram of the kit, from the Optional Parts chapter in the YM240 Parts manual. It might give you some ideas for fabricating one.

65332d1164997307-pto-front-crankshaft-frontpto-gif

dieseldrew

Sorry my response didn't post but I said I may have mis-spoke in my headline using the term "front PTO" when in fact it's a "mid PTO" for a belly mower.

Thank you for the response and diagram tho, interesting.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you searched for the John Deere equivalent? I'd guess the JD 650 or 670 would have been the similar version. (These Deere models were made by Yanmar).

Can you tell us your mowing needs and what kind of tires you have? I had a slightly larger tractor with AG tires and finish mower. It was terrible on the lawn as its weight and AG tires tore up the lawn unless it was very dry.

dieseldrew

bczoom, while the first part of your question is somewhat valid, in my original post "I also wondered if any J.D. PTO's might work ?" was mentioned.
The information in the last part of your question does not pertain to any aspect of my query.
I'm looking for an electric PTO or information on where I can possibly find one, a rebuildable one, one from a parts tractor, or a substitute for one in a mid-mount application for my Yanmar 187D.
I appreciate your response and enjoy reading and learning on this forum when I have the chance. Thank you kindly. Andy

P.S. if someone know's of a 186 or 187 somewhere for parts I would be greatly appreciative of information about that.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
if someone know's of a 186 or 187 somewhere for parts I would be greatly appreciative of information about that.
What part of the country are you in? I've read that there are salvage yards in the South, and there is some guy near Portland OR who shows his scrapyard of small Yanmars and Kubotas on Craigslist occasionally.

I've seen photos of a mid mower on the small Yanmars driven from the rear pto, also lifted by the 3-point. There's a mess of levers and pulleys. I don't know any more than just glancing at photos long ago.