RTV shifting issues fixed!

Meyerske

After four shoulder surgeries, not having to force my RTV into gear is a very good thing. This may be old news to some, since I found the fix on another forum. What fixed my difficult shifting was crazy-simple. There is a rubber grommet that the shift cable runs through. It can be seen under the hood, just off the firewall. All I did was take a zip tie (or several if needed) and tightly wrap it around the grommet and shift cable sheath to make the cable more secure. This minor fix has made an incredible improvement in my ease of shifting. This worked on my X1120D (I think the pic is from an 1100). I haven't missed a gear since this fix was made. Again, not my idea or pic, but I hope it helps someone.
5b4ac0f509e63f8de1567cc1b4ebf441.jpg

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
When I bought mine (2020 X1100) my local dealer told me it would take about 1 year for the shifting to be smooth between H, L, and R. Do the zip ties simply remove the slop/ play as it passes through the grommet or secures it to the grommet to keep it from moving? Mine now has just over 100 miles and could be difficult at times to change gears. For me sometimes just giving it a little bump on the gas pedal helps smooth out the shift but not always, I just hate forcing it. I'll have to take a look and see whats going on in mine and see if the zip tie trick will work. Thanks!