X1140 Tie Rod replacement

2015EcoD

Hi All,
It's been a while since I've posted but I still browse for knowledge and experience almost daily. The wet weather and mud and ruts around the farm, probably magnified by the fact I haul 1000lbs of water daily and have moved a 2500lb trailer a couple of times, finally caught up with me yesterday.

The RTV got sucked into a deep rut coming down a hill as i was wrapping up my barn chores. I was having trouble steering but was able to limp back to the garage. I took a look at the tires and they weren't pointed the same direction. Today I was able to pressure wash all the caked on mud off and finally take a look. My driver side tierod is bent at an almost 90° sweeping angle.

My question is: is it suggested that both tie rods be replaced at the same time? And is the job of removing/replacing something a fairly mechanically inclined person is capable of? I know I'll have to take measurements off the wheel to adjust the toe, and the manual says to set it about 1/4" in at the front. I just don't want to take everything apart and not be able to get it back together in a day. I need to move water and will have to move the water tank on/off my daily driver truck until I get this worked out.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions, or helpful tools you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
NT

Looks like there are quite a few videos on Youtube. not cut and dried for sure but doable...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upowYZgKekw[/ame]

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just replace the bent one or straighten it. just remember if you decide to straighten the bent one that the tie rod is a critical link keeping you going down the road instead of down the gully? "wink"

2015EcoD

Just wanted to circle back. Watched the youtube video woodlandfarms posted and ordered a tool from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066PI154/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tackled the project this morning and had it wrapped up in about an hour and half. To do it again would probably take a 30-45min. Used Amazon tool on opposite side tie rod so it would keep pinion from spinning, 1.25" wrench on side I needed to replace. Without the right size wrench, it would have been nice have two of the amazon tools. Ended up replacing the whole assembly since I wasn't sure if I had damaged the ball joints for $25 more than just the inner tie rod. Local dealer had to order tie rod and expected arrival this coming Tuesday. Messicks had all parts in stock and shipped to me in a day. I'll have an extra inner tie rod, and the old outer tie rod laying around for the next time this happens.

Spaced a string line tied to jack stands along the face of wheels once the wheels were back on the front to gauge an alignment, measuring off the rims at the hubs. Confirmed alignment by measuring centerline mold marks on the tires when finished. 1/4" toe in on the front. Drives fine so I guess that's good enough.

Cleaned some more mud off the machine while I was under there, changed the fuel filter and did a proper wash, in the rain, while I was already dirty, about 5 hours total tlc for the workhorse today. Between the pressure washing and scraping I probably pulled 100lbs(wet) of dirt out of the undercarriage. Kubota should have designed less nooks and crannies to hold all this mud. Kind of glad this problem forced me to clean it up and realize I need to take better care to prevent the machine from rusting out on me.

310hours, 515 miles, and machine hasn't traveled more thank 2500' radius from the garage since I bought it 18 months ago. Regular scheduled maintenance and greasing has been done but a $60 tie rod and a couple hours of time isn't so bad.

hillbillybob

Thanks for taking the time it took, to post the conclusion of your repair. I know there are a lot of us who dislike a thread that's missing the final chapter.

Glad it all worked out so well.....and $60 in parts isn't too bad.....believe I have nearly that invested in oil filters, for my upcoming 50 hour service.