Pto Speed Adapter ??

Lesco_2_OH

I'm looking for a slide on adapter that will jump my 540 pto up to 1000 rpm. I run a pto generator off my tractor & need 2800 tractor engine rpm to get 540 pto speed.

My tractor has double the HP I need to run the generator, & I'd like to cut the engine speed down to save fuel.

Hubcity still makes one new, but the cost is such that I could buy alot of fuel before I'd recover the cost of a "new' one.

Please let me know if you know of one.

Thanks.........Tom

w4jle

pto speed adapter

The real deal is if the engine has extra power that is not being used, it does not use as much fuel. Changing the RPM with a mechanical device would only add additional mechanical friction with out solving the problem you outlined.

Fuel use is determined by load, not RPM, the regulation would suffer as well as the ratio between the engine RPM and generator speed would be less.

Lesco_2_OH

The real deal is if the engine has extra power that is not being used, it does not use as much fuel. Changing the RPM with a mechanical device would only add additional mechanical friction with out solving the problem you outlined.

Fuel use is determined by load, not RPM, the regulation would suffer as well as the ratio between the engine RPM and generator speed would be less.

If that is the case........why does nearly every vehicle built today have an overdrive transmission to lower engine rpm at highway operating speeds ??

They're obviously not needed to conserve fuel ???????????

I'm gonna go put the 5:14's in my pick up now............:bangin:

w4jle

Apples and oranges. You car uses overdrive because the load decreases. You need only watch what happens when the load increases such as going up a steep grade as it drops out of overdrive.

Your generator is a constant load situation with a direct relationship of horsepower to Watts. On top of that the rotational rate determines the frequency. RPM regulation is critical to avoid damage to items plugged into the generator. The governor is much more sensitive at the higher RPM.

It was not my intention to become argumentative, but to pass on some hard earned experience. Good luck in your endeavor and I would sincerely be interested in your results.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Could you add a PTO off the front of the crankshaft?

I learned there was an optional front PTO kit for my Yanmar. It raised the battery, and included the shaft and bearings. I think it also included an electric clutch. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to adapt something from a different application to serve this function.

From there you could choose pulley ratios to tone down that roar a little.

Lesco_2_OH

Apples and oranges. You car uses overdrive because the load decreases. You need only watch what happens when the load increases such as going up a steep grade as it drops out of overdrive.

Your generator is a constant load situation with a direct relationship of horsepower to Watts. On top of that the rotational rate determines the frequency. RPM regulation is critical to avoid damage to items plugged into the generator. The governor is much more sensitive at the higher RPM.

It was not my intention to become argumentative, but to pass on some hard earned experience. Good luck in your endeavor and I would sincerely be interested in your results.

Your original comments would be correct if the generator was at a 100% load condition all the time, but the tractor never pulls down after the initial surge of throwing the breaker to energize the system.
I have way more tractor pto hp than the load requires for the job.

Mark777

Could you add a PTO off the front of the crankshaft?

I learned there was an optional front PTO kit for my Yanmar. It raised the battery, and included the shaft and bearings. I think it also included an electric clutch. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to adapt something from a different application to serve this function.

From there you could choose pulley ratios to tone down that roar a little.

California,

My thoughts exactly.

We installed a hydraulic pump powered via the crankshaft pulley. It was done on a large Ford diesel tractor (10 wheeler truck). The truck was built to accommodate two lift rams on the rear gate and a six inch telescoping ram for the internal compactor. The front drive-line clutch was electronic and wouldn't engage below 1000 RPM.

Mith

Can you run the PTO shaft to a jackshaft mounted next to the generator, and then belt drive from the jackshaft to the generator, then you can just change the ratios of the pulleys for the belt drive to change the gearing.
You can get triple pulleys, which should handle the HP.

Most the big old tractor gens are run this way.

Lesco_2_OH

Can you run the PTO shaft to a jackshaft mounted next to the generator, and then belt drive from the jackshaft to the generator, then you can just change the ratios of the pulleys for the belt drive to change the gearing.
You can get triple pulleys, which should handle the HP.

Most the big old tractor gens are run this way.

Mith........I thought of exactly that very setup, but was hoping to come across a premade gearbox to do it for me a bit easier. I also thought about reverse feeding a 3 speed auto transmission into the tail & out the input shaft to do the same thing, but would have to find a way to support the input (now output) shaft since the transmission would have used a pilot bearing in the rear of the engine flywheel as its other shaft bearing.

Tom

shinnlinger

t_03052.jpg

Lesco,

coud you take a 3 pt carry all like the one above, throw some boards down and mount your gen unit either aligned with a tranny or pully system like Mith suggested or whatever and make it a compact 3pt unit?

I think a tranny would work fine, especially if it was mounted so the gen set could take some of the load, because they are designed for 100's of horspower and while I don't know what you are planning to hook it to, I am betting your PTO is somewhat less

shinnlinger

Another thought on this, Surplus Center may very well have the gearbox you want but if you have axcess to old farm machinery like hay bailers they have 7-1 reducers and the like.