1100 with no 2WD, only 4WD

ShortFatBaldGuy

Hi Folks, I'm brand new to the forum. I just bought a 2008 RTV 1100 knowing that it only moved in 4WD. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and the price was reasonable so I took a shot. After googling the problem, I quickly learned it is common for the splines in the rear hubs to be destroyed because of the abrupt (face plant) stopping of the hydrostatic drive. I jacked up the unit and sure enough, the hubs are worn smooth on the inside. However, there appears to be minimal damage to the spline on the drive shafts. I have two questions: 1) Do you think I can get away with just replacing the hub and not the shafts as well. It would be great to save the time and $$ to not replace the shafts. 2) I hear there is a coast valve that can be added to reduce the abrupt stopping and prevent this from happening again. Does anybody have experience with these and can you recommend one. Otherwise, it's my first time owning a Kubota and I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. It's obviously built like a tank! Thanks in advance for your help!

aarkie

They have increased the torque value on the castle nut for the hub because of wear. I think it was around 115 and is now 150 but you need to verify the correct value. I had the cable from the 2/4 WD shift lever to the transmission go bad on mine and you could not get it out of 4WD very easy, it would go into 4WD easy. It connects on the driver side of the transmission. Check and see if it is moving the transmission lever all the way, use a pair of pliers and make sure it is all the way. If I remember right the cable was under $50 and not too hard to change.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes i think you would be fine to replace the new hub on the old shaft. i used to do this on jeeps all the time. i think the hub is softer than the spline on purpose. i put a coast valve on my 1100 and love it. highly recommend it to save your u joints to. i purchased my coast valve on ebay,the seller remarked that he was the original manufacturer,sorry i don't remember his name. takes about 10 min to change.

ShortFatBaldGuy

Thanks aurthuritis! I got the new hubs and they were nice and tight on the shafts so I think they will be fine. I'll get the coast valve next so I don't ruin the new hubs.

ShortFatBaldGuy

Now I have a new problem. The starter won't turn over. I've got power up to the safety switch and the switch opens and closes when it's supposed to. I've changed the starter so I think it's the starter relay. Can anybody tell me where the starter relay is on a 2008 RTV 1100?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
does the starter go"CLICK"when you turn the key? or just nothing? in the stickey section is a link to Kubota owners manuals PDF

ShortFatBaldGuy

If you mean do I hear the starter solenoid or bendix gear click into position, the answer is no. I hear a slight click when I move the key switch from Glow to Start which I think is the Glow solenoid disengaging. I hear nothing at the starter. I've taken the battery to a battery shop and it tested ok. I have a PDF of the service manual which shows the starter circuit. Power goes from the key switch to a fuse then to the safety/neutral switch then to the starter relay. I have verified that I have power all the way to the neutral switch which rules out a blown fuse and that the neutral switch opens and closes when it's supposed to (I have also jumpered out the neutral switch just in case) which leads me to believe the starter relay is bad. I can't find any documentation that shows where/which relay is the starter relay. I have also put a new starter on it. It may or may not have been bad but after 10 years of use, I don't really mind the investment in a new one even if it wasn't the problem. Anybody know where the starter relay is?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
If you mean do I hear the starter solenoid or bendix gear click into position, the answer is no. I hear a slight click when I move the key switch from Glow to Start which I think is the Glow solenoid disengaging. I hear nothing at the starter. I've taken the battery to a battery shop and it tested ok. I have a PDF of the service manual which shows the starter circuit. Power goes from the key switch to a fuse then to the safety/neutral switch then to the starter relay. I have verified that I have power all the way to the neutral switch which rules out a blown fuse and that the neutral switch opens and closes when it's supposed to (I have also jumpered out the neutral switch just in case) which leads me to believe the starter relay is bad. I can't find any documentation that shows where/which relay is the starter relay. I have also put a new starter on it. It may or may not have been bad but after 10 years of use, I don't really mind the investment in a new one even if it wasn't the problem. Anybody know where the starter relay is?

yes that is what i meant. Thanks. i have an 1100 that is having some starter problems too but i think my problem is the solenoid because i hear the Click. sorry i don't know where the relay is. can you switch the relays around and see if the problem follows the relay?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What about the stop solenoid ? It should attempt to crank though so probably not that.... I've replaced 2 of them- one on the "05 and now the '11. If it works, you should hear a "tink" noise a few seconds after the key is turned off of a running engine. If it won't start but tries to, look at that. on my 900 , it is near the fuel tank near the engine edge. I could manually disengage mine by moving the lever then it would start fine. I got an aftermarket from a mazon and it works great. bordercollie

ShortFatBaldGuy

Problem solved. The starter relay was not the problem. It was the starter and the starter relay fuse. The starter solenoid was shorted and it must have blown the fuse. I thought I had power up to the safety switch but I must have misdiagnosed it. Anyway, for reference, the starter relay is in with the glow relay and some others. They are located below the main fuse box behind the plastic moldings near the bed lift lever. You have to take about six screws out and the the door strike and then you can get at it. Also, the starter relay and glow relay fuses are under the dash not with the others behind the seat. Learned a lot trouble-shooting over the past week.