X1100C tire shopping

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i will probably need a set of tires for my 2014 X1100C sometime this summer. i think now that i have adjusted the HVT and seem to be getting full power to the wheels that maybe i can get away with slightly larger in circumference tires. i am thinking radial. may i ask your opinions and experiences with tire brands/prices and effects on performance when you changed your tires ?:wave:

ovrszd

Went from 25" POS worksite tires to 27" ITP Blackwater tires. No negative.

As I always say, pay particular attention to load capacity.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I like my Blackwaters too. Here on the farm they are just what I need and have great pulling power although there are still some boggy places I won't take this one ton machine. The thick sidewalls with the rim protection lips are good too. Air pressure is high rated as is load rating . I have nothing bad to say about this tire ....Be it known that they are sorta heavy compared to the basic UTV tires. Robin at All terrain on line can answer your questions and may have other recommendations. (I've never looked at another tire since I've had these) ;) bordercollie

edit: I have 26" 9 in front 11" in rear on my 2011 900 xt. and mounted on the original 2011 rims which originally had 25" atv tires - when bought new.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i just want to Thank You all. i need schooled on tire size that works. i went back in the archives and read quite a bit and it seems that a 26 inch tire is about as tall as i need if i read correctly? what actual sizes work without pulling to much power from the engine and rubbing on the frame?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have any rubbing Arthuritis. :) The tires-when I bought them were 8 ply if I remember right (but would confirm) are more puncture resistant too. On a flat paved road I can get up to 27mph but going up our little hills, it does reduce to the neighborhood of 20-or 22. collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
been looking at the ITP tire selection guides. i really like the Blackwater tires but ITP recommends the Bajacross for my application. my soil is semi arid no clay and mud isn't sticky and slippery. i do need to be puncture resistant and don't want to tear up the pasture with over aggressive tread. looks like best tire size for my application would be the 26x11x12. what ya'll think about that logic?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I added four 26x11x12 ITP Blackwater Evolution tires on a stock X-1120D. It gave me a half inch of lift and the 8 ply tires are very tough and puncture resistant. There are no clearance issues even when the suspension is fully articulated under a load. The ride is good and I didn't have to change rims.

If you go with 27 inch tires, be real careful and do your homework cause most places won't let you return the tires. Several folks have had good success with them but I wanted to leave room for plenty of suspension travel. Also based on recommendations from our most senior members.

And do you load range homework. Make sure you total up the weight of the RTV and the max load it should carry and divide it by 4....each tire should be rated at that weight or preferably better.

I can't think of any soil conditions where these tires would not do really well.

When the ground is saturated in our orchard, the tires do leave a slight indentation but they don't tear up the ground nor do they hold gravel.

Hope this helps

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
well i think it is narrowed to the 26-11-12 ITP either the bajacross or blackwater tires. the stock factory tires are going to go at least 4000 miles and the traction they provide has been fine for my application. the puncture resistance on the stock tires has been fair at best.

hillbillybob

I mounted a set of 26x12x12, ITP Mud Lite XL's, on my factory, 8.5" rims without a problem. For my type of riding, anticipated loads, and terrain, I wanted something a bit wider as well as a bit taller. Machine only had 15 miles on it, so I have a basically new set, of original 25x10x12 tires in reserve.

I don't understand why tires aren't labeled more accurately. Inflated width of the above mentioned Mud Lite XL tire is 11.5", and it stands 27.2" tall. Believe you'll find the Blackwater 26x11x12 is only 9.7" wide when inflated. You really have to study the tire charts closely, to avoid getting something other than what you want.

The Mud Lite XL is really great in the snow, or in mud, but not the best on a really wet lawn.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I mounted a set of 26x12x12, ITP Mud Lite XL's, on my factory, 8.5" rims without a problem. For my type of riding, anticipated loads, and terrain, I wanted something a bit wider as well as a bit taller. Machine only had 15 miles on it, so I have a basically new set, of original 25x10x12 tires in reserve.

I don't understand why tires aren't labeled more accurately. Inflated width of the above mentioned Mud Lite XL tire is 11.5", and it stands 27.2" tall. Believe you'll find the Blackwater 26x11x12 is only 9.7" wide when inflated. You really have to study the tire charts closely, to avoid getting something other than what you want.

The Mud Lite XL is really great in the snow, or in mud, but not the best on a really wet lawn.

Thanks Hillbillybob! perfect example of some very useful information. what tire tables are you referring to ? those mud lite tires look good also,what i like about the ITP line is they are USA made and they have a tire that fits just about every style and condition. i need to examine the width of my choice again and compare to my existing tires. Thanks Again:wave:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i used Hillbillybob's advice and went to the charts. the blackwater evolution tire has a little over 300 lbs per tire more load rating than the bajacrossXD. how much load and what pressure do you folks run?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I run 20 lbs per tire on the Blackwaters. That's under the max too.
I had to over inflate my 2005 RTV's previous tires , the mudlites - several different varieties of them- and they all failed before being worn out. They developed bulges etc..I use my RTV strictly for farm work , so there were heavy loads at times but not everyday. This is documented on the really old forum threads here...from 2006- to when I bought the 2011. No problems since the BEs. collie

edit to say the thick rubber is more puncture resistant- in my opinion.

Last edited:

ovrszd

I also run 20lbs in the rear and 15lbs front.

I think each individual's use varies so much that you should do your own math in regards to what load capacity you need.

I think bordercollie described her uses very well. She might rarely haul the full capacity of the machine. But every day she is using her tires in unfriendly terrain.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks OVRSZD that is good advice and now i am leaning heavy toward the Blackwater evolution. i hold Bordercollie's advice and experience highly. i think the advice and the higher load rating tip the scales.

hillbillybob

I think each individual's use varies so much that you should do your own math in regards to what load capacity you need.

I couldn't agree more. Different strokes, for different folks. I started at 16 psi with the Mud Lites, then lowered to 14....then to 12....and finally to the present 10 psi. There is still no bulging / bellying out, of the sidewalls. Of course, I'm not loading to the max, and the wider a tire is, the less pressure it requires, to support a given weight. With a 1070 pound max load, the 26x12x12, has more capacity than I'll ever need.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Collie
the Blackwater evolution in 26-11-12 max load is now 1430 lbs at 34 psi
the bajacross xd in same size is 1140 at 18 psi interesting huh?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for the updated information Aurthuritis . That is good news.I assume the lugs are the same depth - mine are starting to wear on the front - still deep enough to get me where I need to go but I imagine by this time next year (add 600 hours and then I'll be at 4200 hrs)) and I'll probably look at the fronts I have in storage from running over the stob .That's when I ruined a rear tire on that set( a couple of years ago). I know the 3 did have wear- that's why I didn't buy just one tire as a replacement. I thought it would drive catawampased that way. :tiphat: collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes Collie it is important that the outside diameter be the same on each side of the axle or you will damage the differential gears..especially on a limited slip diff.