Do you have a winch on your tractor?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm considering a winch for my Grand L3010. So much mud and gunk out there I think a winch would sure come in handy.

What type of winch mount do you have. Pics please if you don't mind. I'm not sure of what all options there are for a tractor winch.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm betting this isn't the answer you're looking for but my tractor winch is a Farmi logging winch.

i50404.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I also keep a couple marine winches at the ready. Something like this.

POW-77315_lg__86288.1469113023.500.750.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You'd be right Brian. Wow. Never seen a logging winch before. :eek:

Tell me more about the marine winch. What does it hook onto? What powers it?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Logging winches are awesome but can be a PITA if you need to swap 3PH implements all the time to use it. I normally put it on in the fall (after summer chores and before snow blade) for pulling down trees and such.

For the marine winch, the picture below better shows its components. Mine has a corded remote control (no wireless on mine), snatch block and the hook/plate pictured in the bottom left of the picture. For that loop/plate, the 3 pins sticking up slide into the bottom of the winch and the loop fits over the ball on your drawbar or I just run a chain through that loop if I'm not using a ball. I keep a deep-cycle marine battery on the shelf next to the winch as my power supply or you can use your tractor's battery for power. There's a hand crank if your battery is dead. I also keep a 1000w inverter with the battery as it's a quick source of AC power if you have a power outage at home or for when my son goes camping so he has power for lights, stereo and cell phone charging.

The winch and it's components fit in a milk crate and the battery is in a marine box. Both easily fit on the back rack of the ATV so I just haul it to where needed using the ATV if I need to go far.

I don't use it much on the tractor since I make it a point not to get stuck but it's recently been used to pull a dead tractor onto a trailer using the winch cable attached to the a-frame at the tongue and then just winch it onto the trailer using the remote from the tractor seat.

s-l300.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Browsing the internet more for these winches, I see the pricing is all over the board, from under $100 to over $400. Consider your usage to see what's right for you. For me, it's not a critical application or something I use frequently so if I were to buy another, it would be on the cheap end. If mine were to crap out, I have other winches sitting on a shelf or just call a friend and have their equipment take care of my issue.

For your RTV, do you have a winch that's a quick connect? That could be used as well.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info Brian. Thanks.
I have permanently mounted winches on the ATV and on the Honda Pioneer. I doubt either of them could pull the tractor out of the muck. A friend got stuck this week an used portable winch and it worked with his 3/4 ton F250. So ...got me thinking of a winch for the tractor. Portable seems the best option, and yeah I'd go cheap on this if / when I get one.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL. Yea, been there on the side slope. Was just thinking about it yesterday when getting some seat time. In my tractor's 24 years, it was the only night it was ever left outside. Got a little too close to an uphill bank over a pond. Every time I tried to move, it just kept sliding sideways over the slope towards the pond. I left it there for the night.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL. Yea, been there on the side slope. Was just thinking about it yesterday when getting some seat time. In my tractor's 24 years, it was the only night it was ever left outside. Got a little too close to an uphill bank over a pond. Every time I tried to move, it just kept sliding sideways over the slope towards the pond. I left it there for the night.

Smart move Brian. I hope I get that smart one day. I try this and that and usually bury it, then I give up. Dumb.

Do you have a winch on your tractor?

Nah. you just need more tractors.

I filled a hole where deer got in and backed over my too-loose fill ....

:)

LOL Good point Chris. I was brush hoggin today and thought along those same lines. Why am I thinking winch when I now have an excavator in the barn. Duh. Better than any winch. LOL

You never have enough tractors :)

So true. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Yep, I have a winch on mine. I picked up a nice little remote control 4500lb winch a couple of years ago and only got around to mounting it last year. Handy to have. Especially when pulling logs out of the woods. I've only had to pull the tractor out of the mud once, and it did fine. I probably have it mounted a bit high for self-extracting, but I guess I could get creative with a pulley to lower the pull angle if needed. I have it so I can drop the winch into a vertical 2" receiver tube on top of the front-weight and connect to 12v power with a 50a Anderson connector. That way I can use it on my boat trailer too. The winch has Dyneema rope, but if I was doing it again, I'd probably use wire cable as I tend to snag on rocks from time to time and I'm thinking the rope will wear a lot faster than wire. The rope is nice to handle though.
The winch can fit into a 2" vertical receiver on the rear of the tractor if needed (on the engine hoist/towing/dragging implement in the photo below) but I haven't used it from the back yet. Now all I need is to upgrade the charging system on my little Kubota! The Winch can be hard on the battery and the little dynamo charger has a hard time keeping up with the winch if I'm using it a lot.

Attachments

• 20201205_120922.jpg
    20201205_120922.jpg
    939.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201205_210220.jpg
    20201205_210220.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 8
  • receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

quincy

Hey Doc. Thanks. :tiphat:
It's good to be back and checking up on what y'all have been up to since my last visit!

Reactions: Doc