Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
another parable is the wedding feast. in order to understand it though you should first get to know how a traditional Jewish wedding works.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Exactly Aurthuritis !!!! The parables are fascinating.!!!!! I love this one too !!!!!!!! also, keep you lamps full of oil ( parable of the 10 virgins) To those that don't understand.. ( not talking about real oil but much deeper ). Curious yet? :)

Frankenkubota

Like the fed? The one thing I’m positive of, you can not trust our govt., you can not trust any govt. I’d rather deal with the mafia, at least there you know the rules.

I don’t own any crypto but, after 40 years in the stock market, I’m out.

Probably missed 10% gain, part of me says momentum will keeps us rolling, common sense says, crash and burn. Momentum rules!

Frankenkubota

Guinea hens?

First, I do not interface well with technology, I get the tractor and rtv forums confused so I screw up with photos, starting new threads, etc. pardon me!

Again, I’ve got 50 acres of pine trees and jungle and I’m dead in the middle, lots of buffer! Ive cleared maybe 3. My building pad is about 1 acre, flat, right now orange mud but someday, end of year., there will be a house and grass.

I’ve researched guinea hens. I love animals, hate ticks. I do not want a horse or anything like that, land not suited for that and I have enough hobbies. My country buddies tell me I’m crazy, (sure but...) they don’t like guinea hens for all the reasons you probably heard before. Noise I guess is #1?

In my case, I’m almost deaf, my neighbor goes thru hundreds of rounds a day! No problem.

Doing research, you can find someone online to tell you exactly what you want to hear, pro or con.

I am not interested in a high maintenance critter. If they become too much I’m stuck with them cause that’s just the way it is. I don’t mind a little.

Any comments re guinea hens? They say get 6

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I want some guinas too. I hear they are good guard birds too. I don't know if they need protection from varmints but coyotes , coons also possums will catch chickens here. So I converted an old cotton trailer to a secure safe house . We don't have many ticks around the house but have had some in the past. Do you have many predators ? would be my main worry. Otherwise I say go for it. ( I have 2 peacocks in my converted cotton trailer now ) 1/3 of it is with a wall and rainproof and the other is open with a hard wire top. . The pea hen is sitting right now but I think the eggs are a dud because it's been too long . ..I have them confined right now so coons won't get the eggs but when she's done, I will let them roam and hopefully lock them up at night- if they return.

EDIT: No way do I like the fedy.. The book I mentioned tells the tale of it's beginning and the evil folks behind it. It's a depressing book....
edit 2 there is a shortened copy of the book missing much detail.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have had raised guinea all my life. well since i was old enough to carry water anyway. the birds were already on the farm before me. if you want them to reproduce stay away from the french guinea and the large body ones. yes they can and will sleep in the trees but nest on the ground and this is where you loose most of the adults. they pair off in the spring and start to set on eggs both taking their turn. a successful hatch will be aprox 60 chicks but only about 10 survive. they will eliminate ticks,grasshoppers etc. they are good to eat but all dark meat and their eggs are good but smaller than chicken egg. they can be trained to roost in a hen house but will lay their eggs in the bush. an excellent strategy is to look for nests in the spring and rob the eggs a few at a time and put them under a banny hen. let her raise the chicks so they will be easy to handle as adults. they will fly up on your house and run back and forth making a racket and alert for strangers or anything different.

Frankenkubota

Thx for the advice. A local guy sells them pretty much as a hobby so he’s pretty straight about the care and feeding requirements.

So far, here are my conclusions.

They make noise, No problem for me

They need a coop. The local guy said, don’t fall in love because you lose some to predators regularly. Owls are bad?

If you want them to stay in the coop at night for their safety, I’m told you must spend the first couple weeks working with them, train them to go to the coop.

They are related to buzzards

I read they eat 4000 ticks a day, who’s gonna eat the other 400 million?

I’m 6 months away. No house or shop yet to build the coop from.

Good luck

Attachments

• 8C38B163-E845-4280-AD5A-7E6D5E58A021.jpeg
    8C38B163-E845-4280-AD5A-7E6D5E58A021.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 54

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
never heard the buzzard part. yes owls can be hard on them but will get a chicken first. for first 20 or so years i never had a coupe for chickens or guinea but i had a good dog. a trap placed on top of a tall pole in the open will control the owl. i heard the rumor of how many ticks one eats. but i wonder who the fella was that followed that guinea around and counted? if you live close to the neighbor up to 1 mile and you buy guinea from him they will go home. if you purchase from a hatchery or someone else the will stay away from each other.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
About anything? I just bought a driveway sensor from amazon, $80, solar power sensor, 1/2 mile range ( over Lake Michigan!), easy as pie, no downloads, no reconfigs etc.

My drive is 2600 ft through a jungle of rolling hills and it’s good for 1/3 of a mile. I was impressed..

Comes with 1 sensor but you can add up to 3 more. $$

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L3TFM2G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. :tiphat: A very timely post for me. I have a driveway sensor that worked for over a year and now throws more false alarms than anything else.

I'll have to give this one a try.

Frankenkubota

Funny.....I’m single and while not a hermit, I do not leave my property much and have few visitors.

We used to play bluegrass music 3-4 nites a week but, those days are gone.

Point being, I couldn’t test my new driveway sensor. If I drove the car, there was no one at home to hear sensor.. (dogs home)

I called my buddy, a real phone call, laid my phone on the receiver/alarm and asked him to listen. I drove up to the sensor and back and then grabbed the phone to ask him if it worked.

It did, 2nd try

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Point being, I couldn’t test my new driveway sensor. If I drove the car, there was no one at home to hear sensor.. (dogs home)

I called my buddy, a real phone call, laid my phone on the receiver/alarm and asked him to listen. I drove up to the sensor and back and then grabbed the phone to ask him if it worked.

It did, 2nd try

For me, I have 6 Dakota Alerts covering 2 entrances and more than 1/2 mile of driveway/road. Some are close to ten years old and still working.

My test, after moving or renewing batteries is: Using my cell phone, call the house land line or wife's cell.....I put them on speaker, place one near the recievers in the house, and then head out. On MY speaker on the cell I carry, I am able to hear what is going on which allows me to repair the alarm I am checking out, aim it, or fix it.....Has worked for me and keeps them working well.

In addition, I use at least 2 units together to eliminate false alarms. Yes, no matter how good the unit you get them. If only one goes off it's the tree moving, leaves falling, a critter, or for real....If 2 go off, it's real.....If the chain go off, 3 or 4 in line over a distance you can tell where they are, stopped, or was it real.........

At 2 am, it's nice to know that the dogs can go back to sleep downstairs or I need to join them as I let them out on the front porch, waiting with anticipation for some target practice.........God bless these United States..........Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have boerboels. they bark even at the mailman and he is 1/2 mile away. and oh how they treat a stranger if they happen to get to close. i sleep well.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
At 2 am, it's nice to know that the dogs can go back to sleep downstairs or I need to join them as I let them out on the front porch, waiting with anticipation for some target practice.........God bless these United States..........Dennis

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12366&stc=1&d=1594835480

Sorry for the sideways.....maybe Doc can fix it........Anyway....the watch puppies....Daddy and Daughter Anatolian Shepherds, and good ol Aus Shepherd

Attachments

• puppies.jpg
    puppies.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 34
Status
Not open for further replies.