What about the Fuel Caps ?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
For a few years. Many of the older owners had trouble with the fuel caps.

Leaking caps, VERY hard to remove . On the new RTV's, did Kubota ever fix the problems ??????????????

Attachments

• Pull Pants Up.jpg
    Pull Pants Up.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 105

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wonder if it was the cap that was the problem? do you think one of the newer fuel caps would work any better on an older RTV?

Heatwave

Getting the cap on/off has never been a problem for me. My objection is that the fuel tank opening is recessed too deeply inside the cab ... its position makes it unnecessarily problematic to pour in fuel from a can. I don't have the luxury of a diesel tank with hose and nozzle. My refuelings come from my pouring in diesel from 5-gal. cans. Fortunately, I found a long-neck gizmo that attaches to the fuel cans and makes refueling less messy. My Kubota ZD21 mower, by comparison, has the fuel tank filler opening situated atop the left fender. Remove the cap ... there are no obstructions in the way of the tank ... fuel pours right in. Sure wish the RTV900's tank was constructed that way.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I wonder if it was the cap that was the problem? do you think one of the newer fuel caps would work any better on an older RTV?

The tanks and caps threads was the problem. Found out from several dealers in my area. The threads on the tanks back then, was not exactly the threading of the caps. SO, after going threw the "changing of the cap thingy" a few times.
My dealer ended up changing the tank out. Worked out perfect. Another thing, stole the gasket off one cap and stacked it on another ( double ringed ) . That sealed it where one would not have to tighten it up so damn tight.

I can remember when the RTV was first purchased. And we would haul it somewhere on the tandem trailer. There would be diesel fuel sprayed all over the back of the trailer. It was so aggrevating........

......... two guns

Attachments

• cottonmouth.jpg
    cottonmouth.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 83

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Messicks hooked me up with a new cap years ago when I got a bunch of tractor filters from them. Used it with the old gasket doubled up over the new one and solved the leaking problem on mine. Still is a wrestling map to get on and off. I only have to fill about twice a year so it ain't that big of a deal. Sure beats slopping diesel all the time. Thanks again to Neal.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

Still is a wrestling map to get on and off.QUOTE]

Hey muleman,
Pick one of these up. Have them at parts store or walmart. We keep a pair
under the seat of the RTV's at all times. Works like charm on removing the
damn fuel cap. ( oil filter pliers ). Good for the nerves !!!!!:tiphat:

...... two guns

Attachments

• Oil Filter Pliers.jpg
    Oil Filter Pliers.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 80

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
My objection is that the fuel tank opening is recessed too deeply inside the cab ... its position makes it unnecessarily problematic to pour in fuel from a can. QUOTE]

I agree with you Heatwave !!!!!

We use the Mr. Funnel when fueling up. And we have engineered a hose at the end that routes to the opening of the RTV's fuel tank.
I'm just happy the RTV's get the fuel milage that they get or I'd be pucking everytime it's time to fill 'er up !!!

.. ...... ........ two guns

Attachments

• Grobeck Sick.gif
    Grobeck Sick.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 81

Heatwave

My objection is that the fuel tank opening is recessed too deeply inside the cab ... its position makes it unnecessarily problematic to pour in fuel from a can. QUOTE]

I agree with you Heatwave !!!!!

We use the Mr. Funnel when fueling up. And we have engineered a hose at the end that routes to the opening of the RTV's fuel tank.
I'm just happy the RTV's get the fuel milage that they get or I'd be pucking everytime it's time to fill 'er up !!!

.. ...... ........ two guns

Does it take two people to fuel your RTV? ... one to hold the Mr. Funnel in place and one to pour the fuel? I can't visualize how just one could both hold the funnel and pour fuel.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Does it take two people to fuel your RTV? ... one to hold the Mr. Funnel in place and one to pour the fuel? I can't visualize how just one could both hold the funnel and pour fuel.

If Mrs. Two Guns in around, she will hold Mr. Funnel, but if not.
I just strap it beside the grab-bar and start pouring. Not really no problem.
I have the bigger Mr. Funnel, so it makes it easier to work with and faster.
I use military jerry cans and metal safety cans with spouts......

That Mr. Funnel is the thing to have for any type of fuel. Be surprised how much " junk " this thing captures.....

....... two guns

Attachments

• Dark Room.jpg
    Dark Room.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 81

Treehouse

Site Supporter
Kubota sells a replacement cap the solves the leak/threading problem but still a pain to fuel. Bought the replacement cap for my '05 from a dealer for $10