YM186D - Should I buy it?

urednecku

Thanks, Cali. I hadn't thought about crutches, but can understand less pain with less loading on the spine.
Just take care of it, it'll take a while. Even when ya think it's better, remember to NOT do the things ya used to do.....like picking up too much, bending your back & not your legs..........

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Hi, California. I can certainly relate to the back pain, mine gradually increased over a period of about 15 years (L4-L5 for me) until it was painful to do anything about a year ago. My daughter persuaded me to try her chiropracter, which I had never considered - MDs don't ever seem to suggest them. My back is very much better, to the point that I am now able to work a 7:30 to 5:30 job standing on my feet every day. Once I started it about a month ago, I started having some problems again, and went back to a chiropractor. My problems are again rapidly straightening out. Not everyone has good result, so YMMV, but you might consider trying it.

Good luck with the back, take care of it, and with the new tractor.

Fred

urednecku

Green, glad to hear you got a good chiropractor. I've been to about 6 or 7, and I'll call 1 of em damn good, 1 real good, and the rest, well, I won't bother going back to them. (More interested in my ins. money.) I'll say those 2 have kept me outta the OR room for almost 20 years with my neck, but they can't fix a herniated disc. You take care of your back, like me you're not as young as ya wanna believe ya are any more.

Ductape

I had a 186D for a couple years...... it was a great little tractor! I would buy another one in a heartbeat. As far as front weights, you can use the JD suitcase weights available at your local JD dealer, or can be ordered through Lowes. They are about 40 lbs. if I remember correctly. There should be room for five on the front of the tractor. Mine had under 200 hrs on it (for real) when I bought it and was as close to mint as I think anyone would find. I found a used YFL650 loader for it on EBAY .... complete down to every mounting bolt. I also added a set of turfs off of a 187D..... what a set of stemrollers on the back. Sure made it stable !! Mine also had the factory wheel weights, and came with a Woods L59 belly mower attached. Eventually, I even added a Woods BH6000 backhoe to it. That little tractor sure earned its keep around here....... and no doubt yours will too !!!

Attachments

• Yanmar YM186D 035.jpg
    Yanmar YM186D 035.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Yanmar YM186D 075.jpg
    Yanmar YM186D 075.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Yanmar YM186D 139.jpg
    Yanmar YM186D 139.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Yanmar YM186D 167.jpg
    Yanmar YM186D 167.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Yanmar YM186D 088.jpg
    Yanmar YM186D 088.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Yanmar YM186D 011.jpg
    Yanmar YM186D 011.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 88

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ductape, that thing is gorgeous! I'm envious.

My first Yanmar (YM240) is weathered from outdoor parking, but doesn't particularly have other flaws.

But the YM186D I just bought is plain beat up. It runs fine, but it seems like every panel has numerous unnecessary dings, even tears. Looks like some owner's ex-girlfriend vandalized it, in addition to 20 years of bumping into things and outdoor parking. There's more rattlecan paint than original everywhere.

I found front suitcase weights and put on four 60's. This feels just right.

I also put water in the rear tires but that's not near enough weight. I'm still looking for wheel weights. Meanwhile I carry the QuickHitch for a little more rear ballast when I'm pulling the harvest trailer.

Here's what one looks like that's been worked hard all its life.
P1530779rBerryPicYM186D&Trailer.JPG

xyzer

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I am looking at a YM186D with 515 hrs with a Yanmar loader. From what I see here it is a good little tractor. I have a Kubota 4330 for around the farm and I am looking for it to use once in awhile to push snow at a piece of property I have in snow country. I realize a set of chains and some weight will help out with the job and that will depend how much snow there is when I show up. How well do they start in cold weather? Also I am confused with the domestic vs. grey Yanmars. From what I read this is a domestic sold before John Deere had Yanmar build theirs? The Grays are different than the domestic Yanmars and the John Deere’s? Are the domestics easier to get parts for? Do you go to John Deere for parts? After reading this thread I feel good about the tractor but got confused along the line of parts availability and where you get them.
Thanks

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I am looking at a YM186D with 515 hrs with a Yanmar loader. From what I see here it is a good little tractor. I have a Kubota 4330 for around the farm and I am looking for it to use once in awhile to push snow at a piece of property I have in snow country. I realize a set of chains and some weight will help out with the job and that will depend how much snow there is when I show up. How well do they start in cold weather? Also I am confused with the domestic vs. grey Yanmars. From what I read this is a domestic sold before John Deere had Yanmar build theirs? The Grays are different than the domestic Yanmars and the John Deere’s? Are the domestics easier to get parts for? Do you go to John Deere for parts? After reading this thread I feel good about the tractor but got confused along the line of parts availability and where you get them.
Thanks
Wow! Where to start? If that really has 515 hours I would jump on it. Clean units like in Ducttape's photos are advertised clear up to near $7,000. Considering they were built 1980 to 87(??) I think that's excessive, but they do hold their value if not abused.

Cold starting: should be fine. My 186D sure starts easier than my other, 2 cylinder, Yanmar. My experience so far is just good weather, but the moment I touch the key it is suddenly running smoothly. These have a Thermostart manifold heater (burns a tiny amount of diesel in the intake manifold) intended for snow weather. Cold starting shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, this model was sold in the US when Yanmar had dealers here. I've read it is a twin to the Japan-market YM1510D which is widely imported (used) by gray-market dealers. This US version has a few adaptations to US standards, for example an 'overrun clutch' (ratchet, actually) inside the pto so the inertia of a mower can't push the tractor.

This model is supported by Yanmar-USA and there are still Authorized Parts dealers. But now so many gray market Yanmars have been imported used, that the gray market parts channel is bigger. It's sort of like NAPA for Yanmar with tons of good quality compatible parts. Maybe the best example is that Fredricks went to a certified US builder of ROPS (rollbars), probably the one who originally supplied Yanmar-USA, and contracted them to provide a full line of OSHA-certified ROPS for nearly every gray market model Yanmar that you will see here. And see the Hoyetractor website for parts. This active third-party parts channel is your primary support. I like to say that the support is as good as the aftermarket support for Jeeps and VW's.

OEM parts are available from Yanmar-USA for the US Yanmars (but they won't sell to grays).

Forget Deere for support. Many of us have found them unfriendly and unhelpful, even from dealers who once sold Yanmars alongside Deeres 25 years ago.

In summary - many Yanmar models, including this one, have parts support equal or better compared to most American-brand 25 year old tractors. It's simply not a problem.

And I like this particular model. While I bought one that is pretty beat up, it runs like new and is perfectly suited to my use. Summary - Recommended!

I suggest if you get serious about buying that Yanmar, start a new thread in the Yanmar forum here and you will get a lot of good advice. And please post pictures. We love pictures!

xyzer

I suggest if you get serious about buying that Yanmar, start a new thread in the Yanmar forum here and you will get a lot of good advice. And please post pictures. We love pictures!

California,
Thanks for the recomondation on the YM186D and the explanation of the Grey vs Domestic issue. If I get it I will do as you say and post Pics and also ask questions like where to find a manual or at least what oil types how much and where it goes!
Thanks
Dave

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
The YM186 is a great tractor. Parts should be easy to get, like California mentioned.

I think we have one or two gray market dealers here, one being LMTC. I know he supplies gray parts, but they may cross over from the YM1500 or YM1510.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think the 3-cylinder YM1510, also with Powershift, is the near-twin to this YM186.

YM1500 has two cylinders; essentially a smaller and lighter second-series YM1700. Jerry, didn't you have a 1700 long ago? Got any old pictures? That would make a good thread!

Mark777

Just a great all around tractor!

All I can add is it's a quick and nimble machine and with simple maintenance will last you for decades.

Mark