Kubota RTV fuel filter change

Brothfeder

Hello, I got the Kubota RTV900 and I have a stupid question.

I can't get the fuel filter out of the bracket. a 10mm ratchet fits on the top, but a 10mm wench won't fit on the bottom nut. 11mm is too big. I had someone crawl under the RTV and try clamping the nut with tiny vice grips but that didn't work either.

I feel like an idiot. I know it should be simple!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I dont know about your 900 but my fuel filter just "hangs" there as part of the fuel line. For me, I have the air filter kit that places the filter up by the top and in back of the cab, I take off the plate there by the filter itself. I think it is 4 13mm bolts and by doing that, I have better access to reach in with small vice grips to crimp the fuel end of the hose shut.

By the way, after running out of fuel a few times, thanks to old age and an ignorant hired hand, I find that the engine is self-priming when one drains the fuel for one reason or another.

You might do a search or perhaps "Border Collie" will chime in with some pictures that are in a past thread of this subject.........God bless......Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I can't get the fuel filter out of the bracket. QUOTE]

Welcome to the site. Glad you are here !!!

When it comes to time for that fuel filter change. Most
just trade their Kubota RTV and get another Kubota RTV.

............................ two guns

P.S.
Just joking with you. Had to be the be the first to take a swing.
Our RTV 900, is a few years old. My filter just hangs in line, no bracket.
I have plans, and have been wanting to do this from day 1, to get a
spin on filter kit and install.
Sorry no help, but might ask a member who has a newer model like that
has already been suggested !!!

Attachments

• Tractor Mach.jpg
    Tractor Mach.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 178

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Brothfeder, I have a 2011 RTV 900 XT and as I recall, the nut was locked in place; therefore, a back-up wrench was not needed. Pretty sure I just used a 1/4 ratchet, extension, and socket on the bolt. Give that a try

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Brothfeder, I have a 2011 RTV 900 XT and as I recall, the nut was locked in place; therefore, a back-up wrench was not needed. Pretty sure I just used a 1/4 ratchet, extension, and socket on the bolt. Give that a try
Pepr has the same type of clamp as I do on the filter bracket- the nut made on . Your nut may have come loose though. I would suggest , once you get it loosened not to take it out all the way. Once I took mine out all the way, sprung the clamp, and it was the devil getting it lined again without cross threading.. Not a big deal at all but a pain with such little working room. Or you may want a whole new bolt and nut /clamp and be done with it. Best of luck to you. bordercollie

edit: a small pair of needle nose Vice Grips may work on holding it...

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
They got smarter with the new ones?? Don't sound like it to me. While the clamps are a pain on my old one it was not any worse than working on a newer vehicle is. Why would you have to unbolt a fuel filter?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I was in the back pasture last month ,snagged a limb , and jerked the hose off of the fuel filter. The RTV started sputtering and shaking.I jump off and stuck my arm up there and held my finger over the hose from the tank- till I could get the hose and little "pa" squeeze clamp back. I made sure no trash was in the hose. I did get a nice arm pit full of diesel- but she cranked right up.. hummm... I'm not crazy about those oem hose clamps neither after they have been taken off/on a few times... should get some new ones.. bordercollie

Last edited:

Brothfeder

Damn Pepr, you were right. Being an amateur mechanic, I didn't know they made nuts that are locked in place. I just grabbed onto that filter and gave her hell with the ratchet. Loosened right up in one glorious moment. I quickly replaced the filter. Also whoever mentioned using stats to clamp the hose-ends was a smart one. Much easier than trying to manipulate vice grips in there. Amazing. Thanks!

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Brothfeder, I'm glad this worked. Been at this mechanical maintenance stuff for many, many years. It's just that my memory struggles with the more recent stuff, not so much that of years ago.

Now I'm not bragging on myself, but sure am on the guy who taught me all of the mechanical maintenance stuff. Sorry to say that that guy has gone onto visit with the Lord. That guy, my GREAT Dad, could fix or build anything!!! Love you Dad.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Pepr:

Nice comment on the mechanical fix, but more so of your kind words in tribute to your dad. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling the same way about my dearly departed father. Makes me smile knowing I had a great relationship with my parents. Might be a lot fewer problems in this world if people still cherrished family.

Keifer

Keifer

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Pepr:

Nice comment on the mechanical fix, but more so of your kind words in tribute to your dad. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling the same way about my dearly departed father. Makes me smile knowing I had a great relationship with my parents. Might be a lot fewer problems in this world if people still cherrished family.

Keifer

Keifer

I second that. My folks were wonderful also. I miss them everyday . God Bless them all and Ya'll too. bordercollie

TRIBUTE100

2010 RTV 900 FUEL FILTER

I just changed mine. The nut on the bottom is welded to the bracket. Take off the plastic panel attached to the frame to give you easier access. Use a long extension on the ratchet and hold the filter as you break the top nut free. I drained the fuel tank on mine before changing (to prevent the tube leaking), then put in some fresh fuel with a diesel additive and sea foam.