Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's been pretty quiet on the forums the past few days. Everyone doing OK?

A bit too much rain around here to get much done without making a mess. Garden was tilled but I don't think we're going to plant this year. Too many other things going on. We still have over 100 quarts (mainly tomatoes) from last years crop.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
YEA!!! somebody go break something so we can fix it already!!!!! or get stuck,or haul something heavy. or something just about anything!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hot here and just trying to get caught up on stuff. Trying to keep my tomatoes alive so bought a Field king backpack sprayer with the pumper lever on the side. I sure do like it.. bought it on a mazon warehouse deal and saved $10. puts out a nice mist or a stream. The box only had the old shipping label torn off -never opened. Also picked my first tomatoes this week.
The first picture is from weeks ago so the plants are much bigger now and as tall as 4 ft to 6 ft

:) collie

Attachments

• 1526746469276.jpg
    1526746469276.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 117
  • KIMG0039.jpg
    KIMG0039.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 112

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Question: Would two 55 gallon irrigation drums (plastic) in the bed make the X1120 too top heavy to safely operate in our orchards and wild patches?

Its about 970lbs if my estimating is right.

The terrain is generally level but there are some 4 degree slopes.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How many drums physically fit in the bed? If you had 3 or 4 and only filled 1/2 way, your center of gravity would be lower.

I put a 330-gallon tote in my bed and put about 120 gallons in it and it felt a little tippy when the fluid sloshed around. With 55-gal drums, you won't get as much sloshing but you'll still probably notice it. Just drive slowly.

Attachments

• CIMG6330.jpg
    CIMG6330.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 118

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang Judy. You already have tomatoes. Up here, they would have only been planted a couple weeks ago. Any time prior to Memorial Day is still risky for frost.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
True Zoom . I started the seed in late February . When they got too big for the flats in the house, I put them in a lean to I made.. later to the garden and had to cover with mineral tubs 2x around Easter. I bought 1/2" rebar and made stakes out of that. The concrete wire baskets are too hard to store or I would use them. Having to spray for blight and bugs though. Last year, I think neighbors drift killed all my plants (60) .. couldn't prove it but they all died the same week in 2017 and all had big tomatoes on them... I have to play nice because we occasionally have a cow get out on him . It wasn't deliberate but I did let him know that they died back then so he'd be more careful...

Attachments

• KIMG0042.jpg
    KIMG0042.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 114
  • KIMG0017.jpg
    KIMG0017.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 112

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Been pretty busy here. Planted all my crops... everything went great... a week ago Tuesday we had 3" of rain in a night, luckily only on one farm got that much but I have been replanting drowned out beans this week. Rtv is running great, tightened the ac compressor belt again and were off!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Cat on a hot tin roof

This morning I went to the barn after it had warmed up- sorta late and rather hot already- and started the feeding chores there. However, I was short a cat. I called and could hear a faint reply but it seemed to change locations. I walked around the barn..no cat found . I was concerned it had fallen off the dividing walls of the commodities and was in the fluffy feed stash. I had to push up the feed to make ready for another load coming today so made sure it wasn't in that pile and piled it up with the skid steer. Still heard the cat so that was good.. One more trip around the barn and then I look up .. there on the tip top of the tall barn is the missing cat.. I called it to the low side near a tree and nope..the hard head isn't gonna use the tree as a ladder. By this time, the pups and me decide to use the Kubota and its roof to "acquire" the cat. I pull around close to the tree and call the cat back.. she flirts with me but won't get close enough to grab.. so she turns her tail to me as she pants.. in one quick motion, I stretch and grab the tail and sling it to the RTV's roof top where I'm standing. . One cat rescued thanks to the RTV. It was so fast I didn't get a scratch neither. :) Wish I had taken my phone but I forgot it so no pictures. bordercollie

cchaffee

Question: Would two 55 gallon irrigation drums (plastic) in the bed make the X1120 too top heavy to safely operate in our orchards and wild patches?

Its about 970lbs if my estimating is right.

The terrain is generally level but there are some 4 degree slopes.

PawPaw,

I haul off-road diesel to use in oil furnaces, I do my Dad's, mine, and help a couple neighbors once in a while. I haul 2 55gal drums full, and i take her over a slope to fill my Dad's tank--no problem. I do run a ratchet strap around them, but it is mostly for when they are empty. Oh, mines an old RTV900

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Post Driver for Skid Steer

At last, a real post driver that works ! We tried one of those hand held air operated ones that had good ratings but it was sorta wimpy. I believe it is a Roher.. Gonna put it on ebay I guess.
This one pictured is a different animal ! If you have a front end lift and hydraulics ,the selector to use it, like the thumb drive on the Cat- then this is awesome. We got the adjustable offset so we can work in a straight line without backing up and turning- etc.. bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0020.jpg
    KIMG0020.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 39

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Pawpaw harvest time in Ohio. Spent several hours picking fruit, shaking trees and getting new pup used to the RTV. We only brought 4 5gallon buckets and they were full.

Also checked progress on pole barn - coming along nicely with posts in the ground and gravel delivered for the concrete floor.

herman48

DANG MICE! My RTV 1100 was overheating and the a/c was working only intermittently or not at all (it's in the mid-nineties here in Alabama). I took it to the dealer's a couple of weeks ago and they found mice had nested behind a radiator, reducing the air flow, and had chewed on the a/c unit's wires. I guess that's why I smelled mice every time I got into the RTV! One day I even found a rather long grey rat snake coiled up on the driver's seat. It must have smelled the mice, too. I opened the door on the other side, tickled it (they are rather tame) and it slithered out of the cab. I spread mouse poison in the garage, and now there are no mice. And the a/c works so well that yesterday (almost 100 degrees outside) I had to turn it down because I was getting cold. And the temperature gauge never went beyond the third bar.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
At last, a real post driver that works ! We tried one of those hand held air operated ones that had good ratings but it was sorta wimpy. I believe it is a Roher.. Gonna put it on ebay I guess.
This one pictured is a different animal ! If you have a front end lift and hydraulics ,the selector to use it, like the thumb drive on the Cat- then this is awesome. We got the adjustable offset so we can work in a straight line without backing up and turning- etc.. bordercollie

i am getting one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rCeLwTeEM

i work by myself all of the time.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Are you serious Aurthuritis ? That looks mighty nice :) but I could never logic that one to the bil. If you were to get that you could make a wad installing fence for other farmers.Down here , it's about a dollar per foot labor on clean line- owner does all the path clearing too ! The front end hydraulic auger and the hydraulic T post driver with offset cost about 4,000 total. The driver without the offset is 1,900 .
We already have the skid steer for the farm and I use a bucket on it to load the feed wagons.Also have an auger for it and now this hydraulic driven driver. I made a cheapo wire stretcher years ago with 2x4s and bolts that hooks to the little Case 1840 skid steer bucket with a chain and then gentle pressure till taunt. The fence will about stand up by itself when pulled right . It worked fine when I was doing the fencing by myself and the bil likes it ok. (He retired from town job and that is taking me some getting use to . He is a perfectionist.)
I rigged up a temporary horizontal wire unroller with 2 pieces of pipe(one inside of the other for smooth rolling) and chain until I can get everything gathered up for the vertical one that will be made from an old half axle and used in the vertical position. collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea Collie have one on order. i don't have a skid steer and i work by myself 100% of the time. i thought about a skid steer with an attachment but by the time i did that it would cost more and i would have to hire another person or crawl in and out for every post. this way i can load the posts on the machine and just walk behind it pulling old posts and driving new as i go. you can buy 4 point HT wire now in 1 mile rolls that the machine will load by itself. i don't plan on hiring out

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We just bought 6 miles of that HT hog wire and 6 1/2 ft posts. It isn't cheap is it haha. You are really going to enjoy using that machine. ! If we didn't have trees all in the fence line , that would work for us. The height though would be in the trees (shade for cows) . Bil did hire one of the tree limb wackers to drive along and clean off the low limbs but left a decent canopy for the cows.
I 'm very proud for you ! If I still worked alone all the time, I would drool over that kind of time saver. anyways, Great !!!! collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea i am considering some of the HT hog wire or "Net Fence" as they call it. it comes in great big 2200 foot rolls so you don't have to splice it so much. probably get one of those stockade staple guns too so my aurthuritis won't bother me so much. i already use the HT smooth wire electric and reels of electric twine to control grazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.