Decision Time: Kubota RTV. Need advice

TNcowboy

Hi Guys,
Well I've been doing some research on adding a piece of equipment to the farm. Now I am hoping to lean on a little good advice from those in the know (you all).
I've narrowed it down to either a Kubota rtv 900 or a 1100. Both have their advantages.

First let me say that I am looking for a used unit. There are quite a few of both with low hours within a few hours drive. Actually the 1100 are not that much higher than the 900 with similar hour tallies.

Now comes the need for the experts to chime in.
What is your experience with both?
What are the strength/ weakness of each?
What should I look for in terms of typical issues seeing that it will be a used unit?
Should I have a dealer look at this prior to buying?

I guess my biggest concern is the functionality of the four wheel drive as it will be more difficult to be sure it operates properly. most everything else is pretty easy to assess.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Michael

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Obviously, the biggest difference is cab vs. no cab. How you use a RTV and climate are the biggest factors on deciding whether a cab would be right for you. The 1100 does have a bigger engine and heavier front shocks to accommodate for the increased weight of the cab.

Personally (I have a 900), my usage is very short trips and in-and-out of the cab a lot. For me, a cab would be a bit of a pain opening and closing doors all the time. Others that are doing things like plowing snow love the cab.

Properly maintained, you can get 5000 hours or more off the RTV. If the RTV itself looks beat up I'd guess that the owner doesn't take good care of their equipment and therefore doesn't do maintenance on the engine. If you're buying used, I'd look for a clean machine with lower hours.

Both are pretty bulletproof machines. When you're kicking the tires on a used one, the first couple things that come to mind to look closely at are:
Check the hour meter. One with a lot of hours would get a much closer inspection. Also check the general condition to see if it seems to match the hour meter. E.g. if the hour meter says 200 hours but the tires are bald (which they shouldn't be that quickly), something doesn't jive.

Check the u-joints on all 4 wheels. Make sure they're tight.

Check the boots on the front axles. Make sure they aren't torn.

Check the drive shaft joints that go from the engine to the front end.

Others will chime in with other places to check but as already said, they tough machines so unless abused, there's not a lot to go bad.

TNcowboy

Thanks for the response. I thought about the doors, but seeing how everything is a compromise, the added bonus of ac/heat might outweigh that; plus, I guess you could lift the doors off like our CJ-7 during the "friendly" months.
Most of the machines we are looking at are at or under 550 hours. and the 1100's seem to run around 11 or 12k with those kind of hours.
Thanks for the ideas on where to check.
Michael

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
TNcowboy, does the name mean Tennessee? Welcome to this family.

Tell us how you will be using the machine, where you live, terrain, etc.

I'm in west-central Arkansas and have a 2011 RTV 900 XT. If you think the 900 will work for you, I strongly suggest getting the XT version. The word is that the XT has more noticeable power than its' predecessors. The XT also has a less abrupt stop when letting off of the accelerator. The predecessors seem to buck out the front.

I have zero need for the 1100. We use the 900 on a 135 acres cattle farm. Our farms has progressed from three pastures to 13 paddocks. The 13 paddocks are just one reason (maybe 13 reason) why were are often stopping, sliding out of the drivers seat, and opening a gate or something. Having to open a door would drive me insane.

Now, if I lived in the great northern region, I believe the doors would be required.

Any how, please tell us more so we can be of better assistance with your decision.

TNcowboy

Hi Pepr,
Yes we're in middle Tennessee east of Nashville about an hour. Hills and hollows with quite a bit of ridgetop that is usable. We've got a mix of blueberries, apples, pears and getting pasture ready for cattle. The unit will be used for general farm chores and checking fence lines, etc.; basically for anything that is easier than using the fourwheeler or one of the tractors.

My wife takes the herd of dogs we have for a run at least once a day with her on the Kawasaki Prairie; this would make it easier for her in the winter. Seems like we could also use it for transportation to the equipment shed/shop, where the trucks and tractors are, as it is about a quarter mile from the house.
Thanks for the feedback!
Michael

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Perhaps some of the "nice to have" stuff. We live just down 24 from you south of Chattanooga. Same kind of country basically I guess with hills, ridge tops, and bottoms. Not to many bottoms though for US......But if you have the least bit of mud/slop/slippery, some good tires beside the work site would be a plus perhaps. Extra lighting installed comes in handy as does for sure, a high lift air filter. A record of recent fluid changes tells a lot or if they use SUDT fluid or not is a good thing and shows how much care they give it.
A back plexi glass or window is a good thing, along with an overhead console or extra switching for accessory switches to wiring back at the back or front for "stuff" you use. A winch is somethin really nice..................

So......If it's used, NO problem if it's broke in correctly......Don't worry about the abrupt stopping that the trans/engine does.......you get used to it and actually if you are kinda good you USE it as it is great on hills. The transmissions are stiff as is getting in and outta 4WD..........several tricks there but it's just part of the machine and doesnt mean something is wrong............LOTS more........God bless......Dennis

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tn, I have had both and for me the 1100 was best. You can easily take the doors off the 1100 and I have done that a few times but usually leave them on. The cab does a good job of keeping dust and heat off in the summer. The ac works great even in the hottest days of the summer. I spray a lot of fence rows and food plots and like not getting covered in chemicals with change in wind. Good luck, can't go wrong with either model.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
TN Welcome to the RTV Forum. Lots of good folks here that will give you honest opinions based on their experiences. Either the 900 or the 1100 would suit your needs. I have a 1100 and at my advancing age enjoy the A/C in the summer and the heater in the winter. If you will be getting on and off the machine many times, the doors can be a pain . But you can take them off easily.
Find a Kubota dealership you have some confidence in... really important when you need service and/or parts.

If and when you get a RTV, plan on changing ALL the fluids and filters. Thats really important as the transmission is a hydro and depends on those fluids as it's life blood.
Don't skimp and get something other than Kubota fluids. Don't know why exactly but those oils/filters keep your machine running as it should. (Just as a heads up... those fluids/filters are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e!!!!! )

When looking at a used machine, see if you can find out some of its past usage and service records. Looks for excessive rust under the body and wheel wells.

All the above posts also offer good advice as you continue your search.

They aren't speed machines but can do their share of work for you.

Good Luck.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome ! I had a long reply all typed andready to go yesterday and then the internet went off . anyways the members that have already posted have covered many points I had.
I love my RTV 900 open air and really like the wind to cool me off in the summer. A windshield in winter sounds better and better. But I doubt I would ever buy a fancy one... too many limbs come in the front when rounding up cows and would mess it up. I used the hydraulic feature to operate my hydraulic weed wiper. (I did add a hydraulic cooler) I use my 2011 RTV every day and love it . If you have any questions just ask. collie

TNcowboy

Thanks for all the info. I have called on a few units but not had the time to check any out. I'll let you all know what the results of the hunt are. My wife has been looking over my shoulder reading ya'll's posts and thinks that the rtv forum members ROCK! :thumb:
Michael

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

I have in my possession. A like brand new RTV 900. Belongs to a close friend.
2012 with only 62 hrs on it.
Just had the first service.
Camo
Windshield, winch, Spray bedliner, Bed Rails
High Rise, Hydraulic Bed.
OEM back work lights. LED lights in the front.
He seen mine and could not live without one. Now he has it. Realized he don't have time for it. It's ALWAYS been in a covered carport.
He is a 62 year old truck driver and is gone most of the year.
He told me 11,200 is what he has to have.
If you are interested, private message me your email and I will send pics.

............ two guns

Attachments

• swerfserer.JPG
    swerfserer.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 313

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Nice rig....REALLY NICE.........wishin I could someway justify doing some swappin and tradin to get rid of the 05 for a good deal like that. I figure mine would go for in the 7 or 8K range so not much of a difference actually.............Just dreamin though. Somebody is gonna get a really nice deal........God bless.....Dennis

TNcowboy

Latest update

Hi Guys,
We ran over to a local Kubota dealer that has a 2013 1100 with sliding windows (nice) and radio/CD (nice but not a necessity). the unit has 23 hours on it and was taken in on trade for a new tractor. The story is the original owner bought this last November to look over auction property...anyway, the unit is like new with about 6 months left on the warranty. I asked his bottom line price if I paid cash on the barrel head. He hemmed and hawed for a bit then comes back at 16,900; he was asking 17,500.

That seems like a small drop, so my question to you all is...twofold....first, how bout that price? I am finding some 2012 and 2013 with under 100 hours that are in the 14.5k to 15.9k ASKING price.

Second, I was wondering opinions on a new 2013 unit. I get zero financing and I don't get the independent rear suspension that seems to be the latest buzz. I would like one with the sliding windows. Also, I don't know what kind of $ we're looking at vs the 16.5k price, so...opinions gentlemen?
Thanks
Michael

Treehouse

Site Supporter
If the 2013 1100 you looked at is right for you and you want the cab/sliding windows I'd go back at the dealer and offer 15.5 in the hopes of shaking hands at 16k.

If you were ok with a 900, I'd be talking to two guns about that nice looking rig his friend is selling.

As for the independent rear on he '14s, there's a lot of folks concerned about the play/slop in the rear and wondering how well they are going to hold up. There is a thread on the independent rear design issue on the site but I don't know how to point you to it.

Ben (aka treehouse)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Chances are ,at least here in MS, you would have to pay tax on the dealer one too...... just something to consider. If I could justify it, I would grab Two Gun's friends RTV. nice looking machine. I have over 1650 hrs on my August of 2011, 900... it still purrs. collie

TNcowboy

Here in TN we're registered as a farm so no tax on farm equipment. I am going to make some calls tomorrow. There is a dealer in KY that has a '13 and my notes say he's asking 17.5k, we'll see how firm that is though it seems decent; and no interest for 48 mo if we decide to use Kubota's $. I don't know if it has the sliding windows. I'll keep ya'll up to speed.
Michael

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Windows shmindows.........THAT is NOT what gets the work done Bud.........It's your money; but golly ol Border Collie crashes around her place chasin cattle day in and day out without even a windshield. Yes, I gotta admit, I do like my roof and glass windshield and back window........BUT.........What are you gonna use the thing for.....WORK or driving back from the beauty parlor????????...........Some on here are strictly the latter and it's their game to play and their money to spend..........So.......THANKS Jamie for offering up your friend's rig.......Hoping someone with sense gets it.......God bless.....Dennis

TNcowboy

Sweet..., I'm beginning to really love this forum, I mean you get great advice WITH ATTITUDE. I was unaware that the 900 is for work and the 1100 is for trips to the beauty parlor... See, there's so much to learn from you all.
Michael

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Seems as if I have offended Doc, Michael, and probably others with my thoughts on usage of the RTV. For that I truly apologize to all that took this as a put down towards their choice of and use of the RTV. It would seem that I limited my vision to what "I" feel and think and perhaps expected it to pertain to others. For that, again, I am sorry.

I liken this place to the corner store/cafe in many respects. The bunch of good ol boys sittin at "THE" table or out on the bench in front watchin all and talkin about all. I don't go down there every morning; but when I do there is warmth and my thoughts are listened to and commented upon both positively and negatively. I have seen and been part of sharing thoughts with "newcomers" that move in and try to become part of. Some never are accepted and others are made to feel welcome the first time they sit down on the bench..............With that said, typically, stuff that is said is not taken as a "put down" but with honesty, humor, and a bit or sarcasm........

The above comments directed toward use of the RTV by members is just that..........

Thanks for listening.........God bless.........Dennis