rtv 1100 problems

ronan281

my rtv 1100 was in 4 wheel drive and wounld not go back to 2wd and then the motor died and wont start . any feedback will help.
thanks , ronan281

Tailrotor

my rtv 1100 was in 4 wheel drive and wounld not go back to 2wd and then the motor died and wont start . any feedback will help.
thanks , ronan281

Ronan

Don't know if your 1100 is a old 1100 or new but let me ask this do you have a factory hydraulic plow and if so look and see if the switch that runs the rotary broom on the shifting handle is in the center portion if not this could be what shut your engine down.

I found this out on my 1100 x with factory hydraulic plow set up when the switch is moved from the center postion in will dead head to the value with no we're to go and will load the hydraulics down and kill the engine.

Just wanted to pass on. Good luck

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
When you say won't start do you mean it cranks over and won't fire or it does nothing at all? If it does not crank the likely suspect is the neutral safety switch or the trans linkage that pushes it.

King

When those little diesels are running they just don't die. Did you run out of fuel or low on oil if any of that was a problem it wouldn't restart. They can be tricky to get out of 4wd on some of the older models but there are a few tricks once you get it running again.

ronan281

problems

The engine turns over but wont fire ,and it is in nutral but the 4 wheel drive is stuck between 2 wd and 4wd.
Thanks

King

Fuel filter could be plugged, Water in your fuel,Low on oil, weak battery. Just some things to check.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Most likely stuck between 4wd and 2wd because you are trying to move gears in a transmission that is not turning.

These don't shift gears very well when the engine is not running or the machine is not moving.

I know it's hard but rock the machine back and forth a little and it should go back into 2wd or 4wd.

Stop trying to shift manual transmissions when they are not running or moving.

Is the main transmission in Neutral when you are trying to start the engine?

Do you hear the click of the fuel shut off solenoid when you turn on the key?

ronan281

problem

I will try and get some help to rock it this afternoon ,and I do here a click before starting sounds like a solenoid
Thanks george

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Fuel filter is on the passenger side of the engine, down on the inside of the frame rail.

Pinch off the hoses and replace the filter.

Before replacing make sure fuel flows freely when you remove the pinched off hose.

I'm not sure now how I found it, but on the side of the fuel pump should be a little lever that you can use to pump up the fuel. Don't believe it is mentioned in any manuals and only found it after I had replaced my fuel filter and started the engine. They are usually pretty easy to start as you know.

Good Luck.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The click on the solenoid on the 900 anyways is about 5-10 seconds after the engine is cut off. It sounds like "tink". The hour meter counter clicks when the key is turned.
On my 900, I also prefill the filter before connecting the last hose and check mine to make sure that it is positioned correctly.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Thanks BorderCollie, I knew there was a click but thought it was at startup.

So Ronan, it is still important to listen for that sound as it tells you the solenoid is working.

Great indicator for anyone with starting issues, that the solenoid works.

ronan281

O.K. got it in 2 wd and towed it back to the house and I think its fuel filter not good flow , and the selinoid is working when I turn it over it wants to star but I think starved for fuel , I can not find lever at fuel pump ,but tomorrow will replace filter and try.
Thanks ,guy's for all the help

ronan281

still will not start ,changed fuel filter and nothing ,bleed the line I think ,also what I have is a RTV900 ,solenoid is working , it seems like the glow plugs are not getting power,is that possible?

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Is it real cold where you are? If you raise the bed up you should be able to feel the warmth of the glow plugs if they are heating. The Kubotas like their glow plugs below 40 degrees. Did you fill the filter before attaching the line to the engine? If you are getting fuel you should have some smoke from the exhaust after cranking it a while. At 20 degrees I usually run my glow plugs about 30-40 seconds to start.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Check all of your fuses to to eliminate possible blown fuse and does your glow plug light come on when you turn the key to the side?.. What conditions did it die under the first time? Also make sure the hydraulic dump lever is in normal center position. ..to eliminate that.

edit: One other possibility, when you changed the fuel filter, while you had the fuel hose detached, did fuel run out? I am hoping that either the fuel tank is just clogged there where it enters the hose or maybe your gauge is off and maybe you are out of fuel.... That would be a cheap fix. Hoping for the best .. collie

ronan281

its 60 degrees here in houston,and i did fill filter and fuel flowed well when i lowered the gas line and put more fuel in ,I have 8 volts going to glow plugs and i bled the pump and checked lines to injectors and fuel comes out when i turn it over,but very little no smoke when i turn it over and no popping any more,for a while it seemed like one cylinder was firing,the only fuses i checked were the glow plug and the 2 big main fuses,i am lost tomorrow i was going to take valve cover off and check valves and cam

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I use farm diesel with conditioners in my 900 and have never had a fuel problem . It turns over quickly with a good hot battery and when I rush the glow plugs too fast, it runs rough till it warms up. Is you battery putting out near 12 volts? If not ,maybe borrow another battery to see if it is hot enough to heat glow plugs up.. Just trying to eliminate the easy stuff before you have to do the hard stuff..

Tailrotor

its 60 degrees here in houston,and i did fill filter and fuel flowed well when i lowered the gas line and put more fuel in ,I have 8 volts going to glow plugs and i bled the pump and checked lines to injectors and fuel comes out when i turn it over,but very little no smoke when i turn it over and no popping any more,for a while it seemed like one cylinder was firing,the only fuses i checked were the glow plug and the 2 big main fuses,i am lost tomorrow i was going to take valve cover off and check valves and cam

Ronan this is the procedure for my 1100 RtV x don't know if yours is the same but this must be done to get mine to start if I change filter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 96