fixing plastic

poke

Being proud owner of a brand new x900 I dumped my first load of firewood the other day. One piece managed to flip over the front of the bed and on lowering the bed crunched the black plastic gutter thing below. Since this is a large piece of plastic (looks expensive) and has a relatively minor piece broken out I want to try to fix it.
Q: What kind of plastic is this? What solvent / glue will work? Can it be welded (heat)?

I don't want the gutter to dump onto the shiny new engine.
Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Sorry that your first post had to be about something broken. :(

A pic would be really handy.

I could give advise but would suggest you start with a place like www.usplastic.com

I'm going to guess that it's probably an ABS plastic. With that, I'd go there and look at their ABS products for a fix. They have sheets, ABS welding rod, glues/adhesives... Using their info and products you could probably make it look like new.

poke

Looking like new is not a requirement fortunately.
Note the crunched area left of the plug hole.
There is also a soft rubber seal in the edge groove, removed for clarity.
While the intact piece would keep major floods from dropping onto the engine there is likely to be some leakage in those weird (mounting ?) H-slots.
The piece just to the left of the plug hole is loose and misaligned in the picture... looks worse than it is.
No, no warranty.

Attachments

• kubiplastic.jpg
    kubiplastic.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 105

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
If it's the part I think it is (see #50 in attachment) it's only $26 on Messick's website

Attachments

• Kubota.jpg
    Kubota.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 104

poke

Wow. Thanks for the pointer... that settles it nicely. While I may have some pride and skill in crafting and fixing there is a limit
Thank you.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Super glue and baking soda makes a really good bond on plastic

First time I have heard of this little recipe. Could you PLEASE give a few more details as to the mixture. How much of each? Use it as filler? Even stronger than just the glue?.........Thanks......

Ol resin, fabric, and yes super glue type guy here. I use the glue to hold whatever in place and then lay down resin, fabric, resin and perhaps more layers........Thanks.....God bless.........Dennis

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
This video is on the SuperGlue website.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXgtoakys4[/ame]

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So use this like "bondo" or filler, not for strength???..............Thanks........God bless.......Dennis

King

I saw a video somewhere of a guy fixing a tractor part with super glue and baking soda he mad a putty with it had to beat the part back on the tractor with a hammer I was really surprised it held up. Just something we should all know that can be used for some simple repairs with stuff we have around the house.