What Year Model for New VIN?

Hi All,

Newbie here, and I'm searching for an 1100 for our ranch in New Mexico and going hunting occasionally .

The state is very anal about the way they require RTV's to be titled/registered. They require a title from another state for titling used vehicles brought in to NM. Many states don't title RTV's, and many states do title but don't register. I've gotten that far; Texas is that way (kinda).

Since they (NM) require a previous title, in what year did Kubota start putting 'real' VINs on RTVs? In other words, the 17-digit number versus the old 16-digit number. I've narrowed it down to 2008 or 2009.

Thanks !

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

I don't recall the year myself but thought it was before 2008. Someone should hop in here with an answer.

So, NM won't issue a title on a used vehicle, bought in or out of state? What if you buy some old Chevy that never had a title? Won't they issue you one with a valid bill of sale and/or a Certificate of Origin?

My State also requires registration and title. They rejected my application due to my old 16-digit VIN. I sent them a pic of the VIN plate so they could see it was only 16 and all they did was add a 0 to the end to make it accepted in their system.

That's about the story of it.

I've figured out that (as near as I can tell) 2007 and prior years used the 16-digit ID number ... the old 'KRTV...' format. I see that on a 2010 model, the VIN is the 'A5K...' format. I'm just trying to figure out what year model is the oldest I can buy with the new format so the state can title it.

I found a nice 1100 in Texas but it had come from another state without a title as a farm vehicle. The Texas owner never tried to title it since it was a 'strictly farm use' vehicle. New Mexico stated they would not honor a Bill of Sale to get a title and registration issued. If it doesn't meet the wording in their manuals, it doesn't get done. No help at all.

Everything has to meet their exact requirements. Basically, a used vehicle from another state must have a Title, and to have a New Mexico title issued the VIN must be verifiable, and fit in all the blanks on their forms. AAAAaaarrrrrggggg! :2gunsfiring_v1:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These States are getting so picky that people are throwing up their arms and saying the hell with it and don't bother getting them titled/registered.

They want their money but make it so damn hard to comply they're losing revenue since people would rather deal with the consequences of not having the paperwork.

Last I checked, I have 13 titled/plated vehicles/trailers I need to keep on top of. It can be a real PITA. I see why many don't bother.

Yep, I understand completely. It's been a frustrating experience.

I'd do it without titling but I'm afraid as soon as I took it out hunting I'd get stopped...just my luck :) .

I basically need to know what's the oldest model year I can look for that has the full VIN. I've gotten it narrowed down to 2008 or 2009.

Then I get to try to get an 18' flatbed trailer titled :) .

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I basically need to know what's the oldest model year I can look for that has the full VIN. I've gotten it narrowed down to 2008 or 2009.
Until we get some 2008/09 owners in here, and while you're doing your shopping, ask prospective sellers:
How many characters are in the VIN (16 or 17)?
If 16, you're probably not interested.
If 17, what's the 10th character (this is the year, e.g. 8=2008, 9=2009)

OK, I think I have it narrowed down somewhat.

16-digit ID # (KRTV...) is 2009 and prior. The ninth digit is the model year.

17-digit VIN (A5K...) is 2010 and newer. I still haven't exactly figured out how to read the model year. It has something to do with the 9th or 10th digit. On 1100's, it appears the tenth digit (right before the constant 'G') indicates the year, starting with 'A' for 2010, 'B' for 2011 (and that's as far as I've gotten). Kubota dealerships were no help ;) .

Bottom line: the 2009 and older models have a 'product ID' which is 16 digits long. The 2010 and newer have 'real' VINs which are 17 digits, so if you're trying to register/title it, you'll be better off with the 2010 or later.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
AFAIK, on all equipment with a 17 character VIN (cars, boats, ATV's, UTV's...) the 10th character is the year.

Sorry to hear Kubota started using the alphabet. They did that on cars back in the 1990's and it messed everyone up since they decided to letters from being used so the count got all messed up. I believe they skipped the letters I, O, Q and maybe a couple others)