Question on the new RTV shaft

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've heard about the updated single piece drive shaft for the RTV's. Any thoughts or opinions on them? I hear that it runs over $500 plus labor by self or dealer but eliminates the carrier bearing and that the 2 pieces of shaft are replaced by one long one. I just priced the original type front shaft at $95 and I believe that the carrier bearing was around $30 then there's the rear shaft @$?. . I really don't want to spend the money on my old machine but don't want it to fall apart either. It has a pretty good rattle and has become very apparent during this drought and going across dried cattle tracks.I understand that the rattle will end with this new shaft. Is $5oo+ really correct? Thanks, Bordercollie

The uprade is around 500 here too. I opted to replace with the OE style when I replaced mine (twice on one macine and three times on the other) in the 5 years we had them. It will eliminate that rattle though. The new shafts are on our three new units and they are a much better design, heavier, no carrier bearing and they have sealed cv-like boots on either end. We don't have enough hours on the new ones to be able to say if they last any longer, but IMO they look like they should.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I am probably going to try and keep mine going with the cheaper shaft for now as I need to save up for a new machine in the next few years. I did the cornejo repair and it did help but its is rattling again after many ,many hours of use. If I need to buy the carrier bearing too the total would be a 1/3 of the cost of the new improved shaft. Especially this time of year so close to the holidays, I am being conservative..We lost 3 registered bulls due to intense heat this summer and then if you can believe 3 more due to injuries. Not a good year for a drought neither.No grass to carry over to winter and the ponds are dry but for 3. I will be hunkering down. Thanks again for the replies. Bordercollie

Onfoot

Sorry to hear about the tough year, Bordercollie. Seems to come in bunches, sometimes. May the coming months bring reasons for encouragement!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Onfoot.Even though I don't own this farm I am a part of it and love it (most of the time.) As for the bad turn of events, that's the nature of farming. I suppose that the market will be flooded with cattle because of the drought and "on the hoof" prices will fall as the market is over run then will go up as supply of cattle fall in the spring. As far as the drive shaft goes, I jacked up the front end today and discovered a ball joint with some slack in it. I put on another one I had stored back when I replaced the pair (even though one was ok .) Nice to save things huh. Anyway the rattle is much less clacky now so I think I just eliminated some of the noise. I changed out the front axle case oil and in the wheel axles then jacked up the rear end and may have some slack in those joints but very little so won't worry about that -for now. I am still going conservative though and tightening the proverbial belt. Thanks again, Bordercollie

Onfoot

The nature of farming and the nature of life, I think. We do the best we can with what we have. And even small encouragements, like less clacky rattles can be a blessing. Good on ya.

htr4

Just went through this with mine. My carrier bearing fell apart and driveshaft starting bouncing around under there - not a pleasant noise. I looked into the 1 piece shaft update but decided against it because of the price. I figured the two piece that was put in there in 2008 had made it this far, I could fix it. Bought the carrier bearing $55 at kubota after trying to call multiple bearing companies to no avail. Pulled the shaft and attempted to pound the old one off. Wound up knocking the ball bearings out and the top race off. I was left with a collar on the driveshaft that wouldn't budge. Wound up using a grinder to cut two slits in it and a screwdriver to pry it apart. Once I got the thing off, the new one went on pretty easy. Hopefully another 1700Hrs on this one. I saw no reason to change it if it made it that far! The only benefit I see is no u-joints...but they're relatively easy on those too. :)

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
NOTHING to be sorry for! That's more good info for those of us who haven't yet (but no doubt will be) dealing with this problem in the future!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
HTR4. I agree with cajunrotor! Your added information is very helpful for members and a necessity to keep our forum informative. Thank you for adding your experience.

Mark.Sibole

yes its a tad old but can always be revived.I dont mind changing out the u joints on it but they rape you on the carrier bearing.I looked into the one piece shaft but they litterally slip you the shaft when you pay for it.I think it was just a hair over 500 for it.They supply the template for you to cut away the old carrier bearing frame.Thats the hardest part of the job.I dont work well upside down to many dizzy spells.One of these days ill do some calling around and see if any scrap yards have one off a dead machine to replace mine but until then ill live with the old style.

Fitch

I've heard about the updated single piece drive shaft for the RTV's. Any thoughts or opinions on them? I hear that it runs over $500 plus labor by self or dealer but eliminates the carrier bearing and that the 2 pieces of shaft are replaced by one long one. I just priced the original type front shaft at $95 and I believe that the carrier bearing was around $30 then there's the rear shaft @$?. . I really don't want to spend the money on my old machine but don't want it to fall apart either. It has a pretty good rattle and has become very apparent during this drought and going across dried cattle tracks.I understand that the rattle will end with this new shaft. Is $5oo+ really correct? Thanks, Bordercollie

I don't remember the price but I put the kit in my 2004 RTV 900 when it had ~1,435 hours on it. The mud and moisture had taken it's toll on the center bearing and three of the four u-joints. The corrosion was getting to the spine shaft on the front differential and to a lesser extent the spline shaft coming out of the transmission. The new design protected those expensive spline shafts and reduced the complexity of the design, so I gulped and ate the cost of the kit. I installed it myself. It wasn't hard. The instructions with the kit are excellent, just read them all the way through first.

I attached a few pictures. The most important is the small pneumatically operated saw. That tool turned the frame cutting into a piece of cake. I included a picture of the corrosion on the drive shaft end. It was looking ugly in there. Then, just for fun, threw in a couple of pictures of my backyard machine shop. Don't give me grief for the gears on the lathe not being covered. I'd just finished chambering a rifle and the cross bolts to center it conflict with the gear cover. It was back in place a few minutes after the picture was taken.

Fitch

Attachments

• 20120212_12 differential end - RS.jpg
    20120212_12 differential end - RS.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 20120212_20 - the saw that made it easy.jpg
    20120212_20 - the saw that made it easy.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Cross Member Cut 20120212_1 - RS.jpg
    Cross Member Cut 20120212_1 - RS.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 20120212_27 right side of machine shop - RS.jpg
    20120212_27 right side of machine shop - RS.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 20120212_28 Left side of machine shop - RS.jpg
    20120212_28 Left side of machine shop - RS.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 186

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
That shop looks neat and organized! If mine looked like that I might could find something when looking for it.:a1: