Is this normal???

Doggonedawg

Thought I'd pop the top off the transfer/hyd fill an d there was a piece of aluminum mesh folded up inside. just resting over fill opening. Is this a screen for the fill and how is it to attach?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's normal- both RTV's I've owned have had it. To put new fluid in, the black plastic part you are looking at with the "screen" will just twist/pull out. Welcome to the forum. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I should add.. in case it is missing....there is a rubber cap that fits on it. I was assuming you had taken it off to show a picture of the screen.. bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

it just sits in there.when you pulled the cap you exposed it.Generally you pull the whole thing and just not the cap.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You will also notice that there is a little small "vent edge" on the side of that rubber cap. Back when I got my first RTV in Feb of 2005, I wondered the same as you about the mesh.. I guessed that it was there for a reason, something to either act as a baffle if the oil is thrown upwards as the machine operates, keeping it from going out the vent, or something like that dealing with the oil so left it. bordercollie

cchaffee

howdy,

That is a breather for the case. the mesh is designed (quite simply) to catch oil vapor, and drip it back in as a liquid.

One note is you should see a 'notch' in both the cap and the body. Align the two up when you put it back together as this is how the system breathes.

I'm here in PA waiting for the first real snow after getting my plow. I will post picture of dog and plow (dogs and RTVs seem to be the theme here :winterrules:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
howdy,

That is a breather for the case. the mesh is designed (quite simply) to catch oil vapor, and drip it back in as a liquid.

One note is you should see a 'notch' in both the cap and the body. Align the two up when you put it back together as this is how the system breathes.

I'm here in PA waiting for the first real snow after getting my plow. I will post picture of dog and plow (dogs and RTVs seem to be the theme here :winterrules:

Thanks for the explanation . :tiphat: I knew it was vented such as for allowing the transmission to breathe but did not know about the catching of vapor in the mesh. All of the breathers I had seen in the past, like on my Dad's equipment, usually had the mesh contained as one piece . I remember one that was a chrome cap and filled securely with this type of mesh.. not the just thrown in looking stuff like on my RTV...
70 + degrees today 40 something Monday only plowing here will be with a disc in a few weeks. :)