Tires for the tired

rodkleiss

Hello all, I must say this is the nicest, friendliest forum I have come across yet. And of course, I have studied all of the posts and have just ordered my new 06 RTV. Only one question remains and that is tires. I have the option at this time of selecting the first set. I live in Wisconsin on 40 acres, half of which is forested wet land. I plan to use the RTV primarilyas dump truck for making paths through the forest and for snow plowing our building at work. In the summer it will be driven in the wet land and on the lawn. The dealer convinced me to stay with the smooth tires on my BX23 tractor. In general, that has been a good decision. I can mow the lawn without making ruts, and when I really need traction, I put on chains. In general however, that is not necessary.</P>

Now I expect the worksite standard tires are best for the lawn. I don't expect to be driving in 6 inches of muck every day since my purpose is to fill it in, but at the same time I don't want to slip and slide all the time and wish that I had made a different initial choice. Maybe I'll just have to consider two sets of wheels or another set of chains. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rod

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your RTV.

I started with the worksite tires. Honestly, I couldn't get through mud that was more than a couple inches deep. I removed them before winter so I can't comment on their snow capabilities but if I recall correctly, others said they seem to work OK.

For the OEM options, I would think the ATV style may best suit your needs. The tread isn't so aggressive that it'll tear up your lawn but it will provide you with the extra you need for the soft areas.

I purchased an aftermarket set of tires/rims thinking I'll use them for the bad areas (and times of year) and switch back to the worksite in the summer.
Well... I just keep them on. They work well on everything. I'm running the Maxxis Bighorn's and purchased with rims from hunterworks.com

One caveat. The 25x10x12 (which is the OEM size as well) Maxxis Bighorn's actually stand about 26 1/2" tall. Running around on relatively level ground causes no problems but if I was going down a steep hill with probably 1200# in the cargo box and went into a tight turn, I would get a little rub on the front tire. Pretty extreme condition and it was rare but I put a 2" lift kit in anyway.

It sounds like you have some potentially challenging terrain with all the wet areas. May I propose you also consider a winch? Kind of a bugger to have to walk back to get the BX to tow you out. The winch is also handy for dragging logs in the woods. I went with the Ramsey 3000 as it has a wireless remote so I can stand/work/winch while standing next to and guiding the log instead of in the RTV.

Brian

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Rod, You are so right about the "members" here. Everyone is so nice and eager to help. I really agree with Brian on the tires. I bought my RTV in february 05 and now have over 560 hrs on her. I got the WS tires since they would be the same price as the atv factory type. The WS tires are thick, smooth ridingand are great for heavy loads during dry weather. BUT when it rains oh man will you be sad.I would get stuck on anything wet. I found aset {ITP Muds with rims }and now I can cross a ditch in 2 WD!!They do remind me of rear tractor tires and they are a little rough on take off, but I can now go inplaces with standing water. I still am cautious since I don't have a winch.[Maybe one day I will.]But what freedom!!!I still love the WS tiresas they are so tough.I will use them in the summer to take wear off of the bar treads. There is over 750 acres here and I believe the Bar type treads will take me through most of it .Look back to the discussion on the hydro trans and" how to make it mind you".I would impatiently put my foot in it andthe RTVwould just sit there,{ back when I would get stuck.} Now, {thanks to the forum members}I can get out of ditches by going in low and easy on the pedal when faced with a wet area.If your land is really muddy, look for tread that won't clog up. I must have bar treads in the winter because of corn/cotton rows and a lot of mud around feed troughs.Good Luck!! Bordercollie

rodkleiss

Well, thank you gentlemen very much. You answered my specific question. I'll start out with the Kubota ATV tires since it is a no-cost switch and go from there. Thanks primarily to this forum, I've outfitted the RTV pretty well I think. It will be the '06 model withsoft cab/glass windshield, one wiper, heater, winch, snow plow with hydraulic control, tail light guards and engine heater of course, and now ATV tires. I looked at a sprayed on bed liner at the dealers, but it was a rough surface. That particular liner looked like it would hold on to dirt in the bed, which is the prime material to be hauled. The machine will be stored indoors and cleaned regularly so I'm not too worried about the bed, unless someone knows something I'm not thinking about.</P>

Thanks again. I'll post my first experiences with it in my current snow land next month when it arrives.</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rod,

Sounds like you have it pretty well equipped.
I don't know how much dirt is being hauled but everyone that has had the spray in liner swears by it. If you do decide to get it sprayed, everyone also says to pull the rubber floor mat out of the cab area and do that floor as well. Another option (hey, I like spending other people's money) is to get the spray in then put the plastic liner over top of it.

Brian