Almost a new Owner, couple of questions for the group

oneal

[quote user="Admin"]Just a quick note to encourage you guys to register and post under a user name. Its quite confusing to read the thread above and know who is who.[/quote]</P>

Done ! </P>

Neal</P>

rleonard

Hi Neal,

Did those tires make the machine handle any differently? Bumpy at low speed? Noisy on the road at transport speed?

Any negatives?

Bob

G

<DIV>No , I only felt positive effects . Little higher top end speed and MUCH better traction .</DIV>
<DIV> Neal</DIV>

ba7man

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on">
<TBODY>
<TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">

<FONT color=#808080>Neal</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#808080>You say the you're running 27" 589's. Do they fit okay clearance wise or is your machine lifted? I am getting ready to buy an "R" model in Alaska and as you might guess am planing on "recreation". I have been looking at other tires and my friends are saying the 589's are tops, but I did not think 27's would fit under a non-lifted machine. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#808080>I am also hearing the same advise from others about buying the Ramsey winch over the Warn..</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#808080>Thanks</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#808080>Ba7man</FONT></P></TD></TR>
<TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ba7,</P>

First, welcome to the forum!
Second, congrats on getting your RTV.</P>

I know your question is directed to Neal but if I may thrown in my 2 cents.</P>

The 589's are fantastic tires for snow, mud... but are pretty hard on grass surfaces. I run them on ATV's but always swap them out in the summer. If you're going to put them on your RTV, you may want to purchase with rims so you can swap them out if your terrain doesn't dictate their need year-around. The ATV tires on the RTV will get you through most things (in the lower 48...).
I run Maxxis Bighorn tires that stand 26 1/2" tall. I do get some rubbing when turning while going down hills. I installed a lift kit which corrected the problem.

I have both Ramsey and Warn winches. Although you can't go wrong with either, the Ramsey does have some things that are making me go more towards them. The wireless winch and lower amp draw are probably the 2 biggest. They just came out with a 5000# but I don't have any first or 2nd hand product review yet.</P>

For your area, you may want to consider putting a block heater on both the engine as well as the tranny. It helps in the cold weather. I used the stick on kind and they work well. If you want any details, let me know.</P>

Brian</P>

PS. Do you have any other accessories planned? Windshield might be handy for your area.</P>

</P>

ba7man

Thanks for the info Brian. Up hear, grass isn't much of a problem. Everything off road is wet, boggie or verticle. I have really been torn between the RTV and the Rhino, so I have put off buying until after 2 friends completed Rhino trials this last summer and hunting season. I'l pretty firm in the RTV camp, but a little concerned about the added weight. I think the right tires will make up the differance. You said the bighorns ribbed a little. Were they 27's or 26's?. Whatare the actual 589 measurements? </P>

Take care..</P>

Ba7man</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ba7,</P>

I'd like to propose you go over to www.ridesidebyside.com and check out the differences between the Rhino and RTV if you're considering both. I have a RTV and love it but there's a few members over there from AK and northern Canada that can give more insight. </P>

The 589's are pretty true to height. If you buy 25", they'll be 25". The Bighorn's run a bit tall. The 25" are really 26.5", the 26's and 27's are slightly higher than their listed height.</P>

I would think that either of those tires would be fine for you.</P>

Brian</P>

ba7man

Well;</P>

My new Worksight RTV is ready for pickup. What an exciting day. It was held up waiting for the windshield. Anyway, I have been looking at new tires and know that many have installed the 2" lift kit to install larger tires. My concern is with the increased angle of the rear drive shafts. Has anyone noted this as a problem or concern?</P>

Thanks and safe driving, Glenn</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glenn,</P>

Congrats on your RTV!!!</P>

On the lift kit, I haven't found any problems. Which tires are you looking at? I stayed with 25x10x12, but the Maxxis Bighorns in that size (which is what I have) actually stand 26.5" tall. I was getting an occasional rub on the front tires (going down a steep hill, into a corner with 1000#+ of wood in the box) but that's the only reason I got the kit. For day-to-day use, the kit won't be needed.</P>

Brian</P>

ba7man

I have been thinking about the 26" Bighorns as my first joice. I have just been concerned about the drive line angle and stressing the U-joints

G

if you have the newer U-joint I would not be concerned. As I understand
it that driveline yoke is the same one thats used on the ZD-PRO mower
decks. Those see much more of an angle than I suspect you would see
from lifting the RTV.

G

alright, I am turning off Anonymous posting. Its far to easy to forget that you are not logged in.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="ba7man"]I have been thinking about the 26" Bighorns as my first joice. I have just been concerned about the drive line angle and stressing the U-joints[/quote]</P>

Glenn,</P>

Why 26" Bighorns? The 25's stand as tall as a 26". You're also raising your center-of-gravity. You'll notice a difference as the tires get taller and you'll really notice it if/when you install a lift kit.</P>

I meant to do some measuring to determine angles but forgot. Now I'm wondering... The lift kit for the front is a 2" extension that slides between the top of the strut and the frame. In the rear, it's an extension that connects from the top of the rear section of the leaf springs where it attaches to the frame.
Based on where they're going, I'm now wondering if it changed the u-joint angle at all.</P>

ba7man

Thanks for the info Brian; I'm leaning towards the 26" not for height, but need the extra inch in width. I think I'll go with the lift and the 26's, plus will do the angle measurements you suggest and repor back. Worst case, I'll have a slightly used lift kit to sell on e-bay.</P>

Have a good one and safe riding..</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I started a new thread to discuss a lift kit installation.</P>

Why do you need more width? What kind of ground conditions are you in?</P>

26x10x12 and 25x10x12 "should" be the same width. What size are you buying?</P>

ba7man

Thanks for the other lift kit post Brian. I'll follow it closly and appreciate your efforts. In Alaska, the ground conditions can and are everything you can imagine and most of it is wet. The 26's are 12" wide as apposed to the 25's at 10". I'll let you know and send pictures from the top of the world this summer

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glenn,</P>

Where are you in AK? With as much snow as you get, tires are an issue. I know a couple other people up there that run UTVs. Do a search for "tires" on www.ridesidebyside.com for their thoughts on what work best up there. Are tracks an option for you? They work great in the snow but pretty pricy...</P>

Brian</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glenn,</P>

Just thought of something else.</P>

You may want to consider getting a engine and tranny heater. Your RTV will appreciate it on the cold days.</P>

I bought the kind that stick/glue on to the bottom. A search here should provide the details of which model as well as any installation hints.</P>

Brian</P>

doggman

After happily owning a Gator 6X4 for 11 years it's time to move on from the simplest to the most complicated. I already own some larger Kubota equipment so I'm in the fold. I use my equipment 5% for fun and the rest with a mission. I'm in the Ozarks with hills, creeks, clay, loam, grass, rocks, and 130 ponds in a wet setting. The light footprint on the Gator has been good around the ponds except crosswise a steep bank with hard pack snow. </P>

There's one nagging question that I can't find the answer to anywhere. What's the travel distance for the front and rear suspension? There's nothing in the specs. The only thing I have seen is the comparison chart in the Polaris Ranger brochure that lists it as "Minimal" . http://pi54.com/brochures/2006/2006ranger.pdf (They have the Rhino at 7.3", front and rear, for example. ) I know it's more than minimal because I did a test drive over a curb or two. Also, owning a Gator, I personally know minimal... I'd really like to have the numbers. </P>

FYI - I demo'd a Bobcat 2200 4X4 Diesel (Kubota) for a weekend (Bobcat is great about the demo thing) and it was great. Pulled hills, hauled ass, easy to operate, etc. The drawbacks were the industrial styling, no noise dampening, and it was a noticibly narrower.It is probably a great jobsite machine or plant maintenance machine. I just want to be able to talk to the person next to me without yelling. The price was the same as everybody else - $10,500 range.</P>

Right now it's either the Polaris Ranger XP with fuel injection or the RTV900. </P>

Thanks!</P>