Mattracks

G

Does anybody have a set of Mattracks on their RTV? If so how do you like them? Any negatives other than the price?</P>

</P>

Thanks..... Doug</P>

Doug Huffman

'Price' (and cost) must be a mighty negative asince they're so ashamed
of it as to not publish. Just like the for-sale ads in the paper,
if the price isn't listed then I won't look into it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Member rtv900 has tracks on his.</P>

They worked very well as I recall but were a bit pricy. There's other mfgrs of tracks but I don't recall the details.</P>

Doug

The do have the price listed in their store but you have to do some digging to get there. They are listed at $4,800 on the web but I had called them before I found the price on the website and was told $5,500. Not sure if the $4,800 is for a regular ATV or what. I know the ones for the RTV are heavier duty to support the weight.</P>

From what they told me it lowers the gear ratio and top speed is reduced to about 18 mph, which is not a big deal for me. I am just wondering if anyone has a set on and how they like them.</P>

G

I have the tracks for my rtv. After breaking a front bracket and replacing it , under warrentee, with an upgraded version, I really enjoy them alot. I am able to climb over all sorts of things and go through stuff that my tires were not able to conquer. Pretty rough ride on the pavement though. </P>

Aj</P>

Doug

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a set and should have them some time next week. I am looking forward to them for the mud and snow. Since I don't do any driving on the road it should not be a problem.</P>

</P>

Thanks...... Doug</P>

Doug

Will do if I can figure out how to do it. I talked to Mattracks today and they said I may have them by the end of this week. I'll be anxious to see if it realy only take 45 minutes to install them.</P>

</P>

Doug</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doug,</P>

OK, we're drueling. Tell us more.
How they doing?
Hard to install?
How do they handle?
...</P>

Brian</P>

Doug

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Installation took a little longer than I expected, but I could see being able to switch back to tires relatively quickly.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>The ride is smoother on a lot of surfaces, especially small ruts or ditches the tracks tend to float over rather than bounce through.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>The traction is incredible.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>We have driven it through every place that we’ve gotten it stuck before and some places our 4 wheeler would get stuck, and you can literally stop and start in the middle of a mud-hole that you would have to get a run at with anything else.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>It will climb up an incline that is too steep to walk up.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The first thing you notice when driving it is the reduction in speed.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>The tracks reduce the gear ratio by about a 3<SUP>rd</SUP>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>I was ok with that, because I have gotten mine in a few spots that it would barely turn the tires in low range.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>I could see someone who doesn’t think the RTV is fast enough in stock form, would have a real problem with the tracks.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>For me, I’d just as soon get there without getting stuck or having a flat tire, than fast.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Doug</P>

Doug

I have never checked it as it throws the speedometer off. Mattracks says you loose about a third and I would guess that is pretty close. Unless you are hung up on going fast it does give you more lower end. With tires I've had situations where the engine does not have enough power to turn the tires. I've got no problem in spinning the tracks. Most of the time I run in Medium range anyway. If you want to go most places fast, you wouldn't be happy with the tracks. If you want to go ANYWHERE, in medium or low, then you'll love the tracks. I have not been able to stick this thing anywhere on our farm. We've even driven it through the ponds with no problem. Of course you have to make sure not to get in water too deep and drown the engine. We've run it in snow, 10 inches, sand, mud and water and it is amazing. If you are running on hard surfaces there is some vibration from the tracks. If you are running on ruts or small ditches the ride is smoother than with the tires.</P>

Doug</P>

fordnut

I have had my Mattracks on for only about 2 weeks, and it makes the RTV quite a different machine. It raises the machine about 6", and the first thing you notice is the reduction in speed AND power. In low, it crawls around smoothly, but id say 1/3 slower, and that much power loss. (I DO live in Gunnison, Colorado, at 8500 ft, so i know the power loss is compaounded due to my altitude). I bought the tracks to get around in the snow better, which the tracks allow and then some. I can go right threw the 2 feet plus of set up snow in the fields, but in snow that deep, the tracks barely spin in low gear, with the engine screaming.. I really like the tracks, but one thing i dont like, and found out after i installed them, plowing snow is actually worse with the tracks. The RTV is quite a bit higher now, and the factory snow blade has to drop that much farther to hit the ground, which puts a forward pitch on the blade, allowing it to "dump " forward when the blade hits uneven ojects in it's path. I can tighten the return springs on the plow, but the angle is still wrong for the plow..... Just something to think of for those who are concidering the tracks/ heavy duty plowing..</P>

The atv tires i had on it before handled the plowing quite well before actually, but then again, i couldnt go pointing the machine threw the deep snow before either. </P>

</P>

Ride is great with the tracks, but they have never been on dirt yet. Just snow!</P>

</P>

Jeff</P>

Doug

Jeff,</P>

My guess would be the altitude is the reason for the low power. I can spin the tracks in mud but am only at 1,000 feet above sea level. I do wish the RTV had about 10hp more than it does, I can live with the speed.We don't get the kind of snows you do but the tracks are amazing in mud. They do very well in sand but again it is a little underpowered for that. Love everything else about the RTV, just wish I had an extra 10hp or so. I did see in another post where someone has come out with a turbo kit for the RTV, but as best as I can tell it doesn't do anything hp wise at lower altitudes. I'm sure some enterprising person will come out with a way to squeeze a few extra horses out of them one of these days.</P>

</P>

Doug</P>

Doug

Yeah, I know, I've been somewhat neglectent in getting some taken. I'll try and get some taken tomorrow. Mine is covered in mud right now, it's been kinda wet here.

orca

I'm not hung up on speed necessarily but I have tracks on my RTV and was surprised by how slow the machine is. I use it to pull firewood out of our woods and have been very impressed with it's ability to handle deep mud and snow. To get to my wood lot I have to drive about 1 mile on flat dry terrain. I clocked with a GPS and in H could only get about 10 mph. I'm trying to figure out if I have a kubota problem or a mattracks problem or no problem. I bought my RTV used (250 hours on it) and then had the tracks installed.