Colorado Kubota with Plow and Mattracks

fordnut

Happy New Year everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying the first day of the new year. I am looking at at major winter storm out there this AM, and the wind is loding up my drive with feet of snow..... I'll spend some of the day in the Kubota, getting rid of the white stuff once again..</P>

I posted a couple pictures on a lower thread, "how do i post pics?". I appologise for the huge size of them, as i cant figure out how to reduce the size of them. There were a few questions for me about my set up. Here it is in a nutshell: </P>

I live on 40acres off the grid, just south of Gunnison, CO. I have a long drive to plow, about 1/2 mile long, and its pretty steep grade up to the house here. I just bought this place last summer, so i also bought the brand new Kubota (04) model for maintaining the grounds here, and hauling wood up to the house, and for fun stuf, like hunting and recreation as well. I did the research on different machines, and decided to go with the tractor like toughness of the RTV. I ordered it with all the bells and whistles, cab, heat, factory Kubota Plow and angle kit, winch, wipers, storage boxes, etc. It came with the atv tires, that i feel work great. They have good traction, but the ground clearance is a little lacking in the RTV with the stock tires. Well, after doing more research on Tracks i decided i need (wanted) them also, and then id be done with the RTV settup. I ordered them almost 2 months ago, just when it started snowing a bit here. I plowed with the atv tires quite a bit before my tracks finally arrived. The stock tired rig actually plows quite well, and i felt the power was adequite for my needs. I have had over 1000 pounds in the bed, and the RTV will go up my hills fully loaded without problems, in Low, and just works hard all day long, if you want to. Fuel consumtion is incredible also. Sometmes i think someone is sneaking up here, and filling my tank when im not around! The snow is really piling up here, and when the tracks showed up, i eagerly installed them, and off to see what they would do in the snow. First thing i noticed is the redction of speed, AND power. In low, it always has enough grunt to spin the tracks, but ever so slowly. I pointed the RTV right threw the virgin snow in the fields, and it claws its way threw slow and steady. It can honestly go in 2-3 feet of powder, The only thing that stopped me, was the front end brush guad pushing snow till it was a wall in front of the rig, and this is without the plow on. On hard pack, the speed and power are reduced, but that is ok with me, just wish it had a bit more power. Driving up my long drive with the tracks, the machine labors to keep the RPMs up, in Low gear, not pushing snow or anything. Now, with the factory plow on with the tracks installed, the machine sits higher than stock, and the snow blade had to drop about 6" further down to meet the road, or whatever you are plowing. This pitches the blade forward a bit, and makes the blade much easier to catch on imperfections in the road, dumping the blade on the return springs. Im getting better at adjusting the blade height from in the cab now, and this issue is starting to get resolved. Pushing DEEP snow, (a foot or so), and there is no issues, as its pushing like a bulldozer then, with the blade floating a bit off the ground due to the deep snow. </P>

All in all, i feel like i made a great choice with this RTV. The tracks are great for getting around here, as the tires would never allow such floatation. I still haul wood up the hill with the tracks on, and it has plenty of power for that. Just slow.... Perhaps i need (want) the turbo kit for it, as at 8500 feet, im loosing up to 30% power verse sea level, are the figures ive heard. I dont want to fork over 2k for a "maybe this will get me more power" for the Turbo yet. AND, i wonder about longevity of the motor, with the turbo.... I plan on having this rig for a long time.</P>

Great forum yj 4&C=3SDd9FebLlkrN7QjVxADWO-6lK_iv0LQ8 in, as ive been lurking here since before i ordered one up. You all made my decision easier. Thanks!</P>

Have a great warm day out there!!</P>

Jeff</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jeff,

Sorry, I've been wanting to reply but haven't had time. Only have a second right now.

Tell me your driving style when going up hill (and running out of or low on power).
Is the pedal to the floor or do you back off to 1/2 (or so) for the aux pump?

When I mash the pedal on steep hills, it's not pretty. If I back off the pedal when it bogs down (approx 1/2 way... you'll feel/hear/notice it), it comes back to life and says "lets go".

Brian