New owner - Tires, liner, and dump speed questions.

doggman

I just took delivery of a new 2005 model. I used the search feature but couldn't assemble an answer to these issues. </P>

1. The spray in liner seems to be in favor with owners in this group. Does it do anything to protect the bed floor and walls from dents? If not, what do you guys reccommend? My 6X4 Gator had a liner which worked pretty good except the issue of water and dirt under the liner. Is anybody using rubber truck bed liners? My dogs ride in the back and it's like a hockey rink for their footing. </P>

2.I got the ATV type tires. However, I've got over 100 ponds laid out like a checker board. The tires are really tearing up the top of the levees and dams even at slow speed.My D-6 does less damage... The big Gator tires had a super light footprint - and in 11 years I got stuck only once - in snow crosswise on a pond bank ( I put all the dogs and the girlfriend on the tailgate and eventually got out - but don't tell her I told you she's great ballast...). Any suggestions for a light ground pressure setup that still has good traction? I don't run in super deep mud or on asphalt. Also, I don't want to put in a lift kit for tire clearance. </P>

3.The dump bed catapults material! Any suggestions on turning down the control rate? Our big Kubota, like a lot of tractors, has a control valve for hydraulic rates. </P>

Thanks,</P>

Craig</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Craig,

Congrats on getting your RTV!!!

1. The spray in liner will offer no real impact resistance against dents. If you're expecting the possibility for high-impacts, I would put a bed liner or something over it. A rubber mat will help with the dogs. If you cut a cow pad down (the 1" thick rubber), that'll take care of impacts as well (at least on the floor). The cow pads are pretty heavy though... Where are you located? I know someone that may still have a bedliner for sale.

2. I'd like to see a pic of those ponds!!! In what fashion are the current tires tearing it up? Are they leaving imprints of just the tread bars or is the whole tire leaving a rut?
If it's an imprint of the tread only, you "might" be able to get away with the worksite model tires but they aren't good if the mud gets over a couple inches. Something like a Kenda Scorpion may work but Kenda doesn't make in the 25x10x12. Other options (if you want to think out of the box) are car tires.
Now, if you're actually leaving ruts, remember, this thing does weigh a ton (literally). You're going to probably want something a bit wider. I would look for 24 or 25x12x12. A possibility for this option would be rear tires/rims off the back of a Kubota BX1500 tractor. They're 24x12x12 and I think (check before purchase) the bolt pattern is the same.

3. I don't know how to slow the flow rate. I just lift the handle gradually which controls the speed.

doggman

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks for your reply, bczoom. </FONT></P>
<DIV>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>I might be interested in the bed liner. I'm in Missouri. In the meantime, I cut up some rubber playground mats for the bed floor until I get a permanent solution. I thought aboutstock pads but they are kind of overkill. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>The tires are definitely a problem. After running back and forth through some damp areas they are making ruts where none existed before. In the long run I'm going to have to find a floatation type solution. Probably wider rims withfat tires. Turf type tire won't work because of the need for some traction. We found that out with some compact tractors. I'll check out your suggestions. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>The other issue is that I found, at least with these tires,is that this thing wants go a lttle sideways on flat, uneven,slick surfaces at slower speeds - even with a steady throttle. I have to say that really surprised me. It reminds me of the early 2WD imported pickups where the ass end would be in front if you weren't careful. It would be interesting to put the wheels on scales to see how the weight is distributed. This is something, like the suspension travel, that Kubota doesn't put in their literature.</FONT> <FONT size=2>I think the tires are partly to blame for the squirrelly handling. </FONT></FONT></P>

I attached an aerial photo of the property - hope it works. </P></DIV>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Craig,

I run the Maxxis Bighorn tires and they work great except (like most any other tire), they will leave depressions of the tread pattern on soft ground. They do stand taller but if you're on relatively flat ground you shouldn't need a lift kit. I needed one but only because I'm in very hilly conditions and I get an occasional tire rub when going down a steep hill, into a sharp turn while having 1000# in the box. Other than that condition, I don't get any rubbing.
Just wanted to throw that out there so you have one more selection on tire.

That's quite the setup you have there with all those ponds. Do you run a fishery of some sort?

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Craig,

I just checked and I do know someone that has a bed liner for sale. He's about a 3 hour drive from St. Louis.

doggman

Brian,</P>

Thanks for the heads up on the Maxxis Bighorns. I'll keep them in mind.</P>

I swapped the ATV tires for a set of the HDWS tires and the footprint lightened up considerably. I'll run them for a while and see what happens. The machine seems to handle better, too. I don't think that they'd be too great headed down a really steep leaf covered slope with a full load. </P>

We raise wholesale aquatic plants for garden centers for backyard ponds.Everything from exotic water lilies to water hyacinths. The place is set up for fish farming as well. There used to be a trout hatchery and a fee fishing operation on the premises long ago. With all the water we're loaded with deer, turkey, and water fowl so it's not all hard work. Nobody fishes it except me and my friends so the fish are plentiful. Right now we're fighting the annual winter beaver and otter war. We're winning, I think. </P>

I'll let you know about the liner if I want to go that route. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Craig,

Glad to hear the HDWS are working out for you.
I don't recall having any issues on hills (sliding or otherwise) with the HDWS tires but obviously use caution/discression. The only problem I had with the HDWS related to mud.

Brian