Accessing engine compartment with a dead engine?

doggman

It hasn't happened to me but is there a reasonable way to lift the bed ( with the hydraulic lift kit) to get to the engine if the engine is dead? It seems like this could be a problem - especially if you're in the sticks a long way from anywhere. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep.

Push the hyd. dump control all the way down and lock into the float position.

You can now lift the bed.

It is heavy. You may want to have a piece of wood or something to hold it up unless you can reach the piece of steel to stop the cyl. from falling..

Haven't tried it, but once you have it up, if you can reach it, release the dump control so it's no longer in float mode. It "may" stay up (not sure since I haven't tried) but
make sure you block the bed up with the steel brace that fits over the cylinder.

Brian

RTV4us

Yes, the dump bed will remain in the raised positionwhen you take the lever out of the "float" position. It may settle a small amount until it takes up the slack in the cylinder, but it will remain raised. Always install the safety lock on the cylinder before working in there.</P>

That being said, NEVER work underANY hydraulic mechanism without securing a safety lock. Even though a failure isunlikely, it is possible, and it could be a disasterfor the poor person caught under it. People die from those accidents every year.</P>

</P>

doggman

Thanks for the great tip andI hope I never need to use it! (Too bad it won't unload the trans pressure, too...) </P>

I block every piece of hydraulic equipment that I work on as matter of prinicple. I've seen too many hoses and seals let loose in my lifetime - not to mention the times a lever has accidentally been bumped, running or shut down. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="doggman"](Too bad it won't unload the trans pressure, too...)[/quote]
Are you having problems?
Most of have gotten our machines past that issue.
If you are having problems, please start a new thread and elaborate on what conditions you're having problems as well as any current steps you take to get it in or out of gear.

Brian