RTV 1100 in swamp

Pokeboater

Need some advice. I'm considering purchasing an RTV 1100 for the cab. One of the farms (tree farm) is on a river that floods a few times each winter. I'm concerned about the weight and how deep water you can go in one of these. Currently been using a Polaris XP900 and a Mule 4010. Both work fine for my purposes as far as weight and water fording. I did replace the tires on both with more aggressive mud tires and put winches on them. And does anyone tow theirs with a single axle trailer? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

RickW

The deepest water we have had our 1100 in about the bottom of the door seals. The seals on the cab are very tight so water entering the cab should not be a issue. Depending on the depth of the water you travel thru you may want to consider a snorkel for the air intake. The intake is under the hood with very little if anything to stop water being forced thru the front grill into the intake. I am not sure about axle vents or other vents that may be effect by extended use in water. I would have to look.

As for tires I would definitely put a more aggressive tire on the unit if routinely in very slippery conditions. I have the industrial tires on ours and it does not take much to get 1 wheel slipping on wet clay or wet grass if starting on a incline. 99% of the time just stepping on the diff lock is more then enough to get us moving again. Whenever unsure I just put it in 4WD first just to be safe. Only once in 5 years have I required a tow to get unstuck. Wife dug in with the diff lock in soft oversaturated ground and had the rear buried too deep before trying to pull herself out with 4WD. In fairness the ground was soft enough I feared getting the tractor stuck too in trying to get her unstuck. Had to use several straps to reach and keep the tractor on solid ground.

As for the trailer what is its weight rating? Fully loaded the 1100 has a GVWR or 4000 lb. The curb weight/GVW is 2400 lb. So almost any trailer should be capable of hauling the 1100 safely except for maybe some of those very small utility trailers with wheels/tires about the same size as on the 1100.

As for pulling a trailer I had both of my rolling tool boxes loaded with tools in a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer when building my shop. I moved the trailer without any issues with the 1100. Even across uneven ground. Now due to the short wheel base of both the 1100 and the trailer, I found that backing it was much easier if I used the front hitch. Especially into tight spaces.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If you consider tires , consider the Blackwater Evolution tires - deep lugs and can the weight of the RTV too. bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i run an X1100C in real boggy but not slick slimy mud. i put a set of ITP Bajacross next size up and run low air pressure and get by real good. 26x11x12 size i think.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you need to check the mfg actual tire diameter and width and height to answer that question. i know for soft ground not mud you need width more than height. the 26x11x12 itp i used actually measure almost 27 inches tall. i say try the ones you have and see how they do. they might rub though. i used one of the harbor freight tire changers to swap mine out. worked great.

Last edited:

Pokeboater

Thanks for all the advice. I went to get one today and got cold feet after driving one. It was a lot louder inside than I expected, need to ponder it a little more. I know, I’m being picky

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for all the advice. I went to get one today and got cold feet after driving one. It was a lot louder inside than I expected, need to ponder it a little more. I know, I’m being picky

Nothing wrong with being picky. You will be living with and working this for a long time, and these puppies are far from cheap.

I thought my 900 was loud when I first got it. I got used to it. Same with the honda Pioneer ...seemed very loud when new. It has quieted down some but still, I would call it loud. And neither of those UTV's have a full cab option.

The RTV 1100 is the only side by side I know of with a full cab. I had the vinyl cab for both the RTV and the Honda Pioneer and often wished they had a full cab option. My problem is I do not want full cab 3 of the 4 seasons, so I do with vinyl in the winter and get by. I also added a little heater for this upcoming season. Not near as nice as the 1100 but works for me.

As the others said, take your time. Try out others just to be in the know. I think overall you will find all UTV's are on the loud side.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Haha Arthuritis :) .. Well... the turning radius is poor on the Roxor , no locking differential and they weigh 3000 lbs but clearance is good and they are really quiet for a 62 hp turbo diesel - open air though. With real mud grippers - it makes all the difference in getting around just like tires do with the RTV.
Well, I loved my 2005 and 2011 RTV 900 especially. But am use to the Roxor now so believe I won't go back . collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
hey Doc. just for information sake you should know it only takes a few minutes to disassemble the cab on the 1100 to make it open station.

Lee1935

Need some advice. I'm considering purchasing an RTV 1100 for the cab. One of the farms (tree farm) is on a river that floods a few times each winter. I'm concerned about the weight and how deep water you can go in one of these. Currently been using a Polaris XP900 and a Mule 4010. Both work fine for my purposes as far as weight and water fording. I did replace the tires on both with more aggressive mud tires and put winches on them. And does anyone tow theirs with a single axle trailer? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

With the Kubota I suspect you will find ground clearance a big problem. The ability to pickup speed quickly to make it through short stretches of mud or snow is something you might also find a problem. As I'm sure you know boots and a winch are must haves ☺