Almost a new Owner, couple of questions for the group

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doggman,</P>

Welcome to the forum.</P>

Travel distance. Hmmm.... I've never measured it. As best I can figure, from it's sitting still position, the tires can only go upwards approx. 1". My reasoning. In the rear, there's a rubber stopper that goes from the suspension to the frame (just above the tire if you're looking at it). In the front, it's about the same in that I've put the RTV under load and had some rubbing that was fixed with a 2" lift kit.</P>

Downward suspension travel is probably a bit more. I'm guessing but would say probably 5". My guess is based solely on how much I have to jack it up to replace a tire. Maybe you could take a floor jack to the dealer and hoist a machine to see. If I think of it next time I'm out, I'll do the same (but it's too dang cold to go out and play with metal today...).</P>

For noise, how did the Ranger compare to the RTV? My Dad has a Ranger and at higher speeds, you can pretty much forget about talking. With the RTV, it seems the amount of noise is the same from idle all the way to full throttle. Just the pitch changes. Personally, I think the RTV is quieter as I can talk to my kids without issue.</P>

Brian</P>

Ricochet

[quote user="bczoom"]

Doggman,</P>

Welcome to the forum.</P>

Travel distance. Hmmm.... I've never measured it. As best I can figure, from it's sitting still position, the tires can only go upwards approx. 1". My reasoning. In the rear, there's a rubber stopper that goes from the suspension to the frame (just above the tire if you're looking at it). In the front, it's about the same in that I've put the RTV under load and had some rubbing that was fixed with a 2" lift kit.</P>

Downward suspension travel is probably a bit more. I'm guessing but would say probably 5". My guess is based solely on how much I have to jack it up to replace a tire. Maybe you could take a floor jack to the dealer and hoist a machine to see. If I think of it next time I'm out, I'll do the same (but it's too dang cold to go out and play with metal today...).</P>

Brian</P>

[/quote]</P>

I agree.[Y] :)</P>

doggman

The Ranger XP with the 700cc twin and EFI was considerably quieter than the regular single cylinder Ranger 4X4. I guess you're getting two small pops instead of one big one... The XP had a different sound than the RTV but it was not too bad. Like the RTV, it got better as you went faster. I can't remember what manufacture I looked at but they listed the idle and full out decibel level for their vehicles. Maybe it was JD or Kawasaki. I guess if you've got quiet equipment you're going to tout it. </P>

Yeah, it's the total up and down swing measurements that I'm after. It is odd that Kubota doesn't mention it. However, it always seems like there is one measurement missing from everybody's specs. I'm not even going to start up about how much hydraulic pressure and flow are available at the remotes... I guess it helps out with creating an apple and oranges thing for buyers. </P>

G

[quote user="doggman"]

I'm not even going to start up about how much hydraulic pressure and flow are available at the remotes... I guess it helps out with creating an apple and oranges thing for buyers. </P>

[/quote]</P>

I don't know why they don't post that. The numbers are floating around here somewhere. I think its about 5.5gpm @ 2100lbs (or so)</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doggman,</P>

Yep, my Dad's is the single cyl and is pretty loud.</P>

You noted your terrain but didn't say what the 95% "with a mission" was going to be. I too had it narrowed down to a Ranger or RTV. What determined my choice was to get ademo version brought to my property so I could test under my terms/conditions. After doing so, the choice became obvious. If possible, I would suggest you try to do the same.</P>

Brian</P>

doggman

Hi Brian </P>

I think the local (60 miles away) dealer might be interested in doing a demo. None of the 4 in the area are set up to do demos. That will tell me a lot. It's really to their advantage to get customers behind the wheel. </P>

I use my Gator to haul tools, wood, supplies, pull a trailer with mowers and compact tractor, haul fuel, feed, check the property, showguests around the ponds, chase off poachers, running back and forth, etc. I can't remember the last time I used it for fun like visiting the neighbors, etc. I've got tractors and crawlers for the tough work. </P>