My New Antique Massey

shvl73

I bought another tractor Saturday. A Massey Harris 22. It runs pretty well and has hydraulics and a 3pth. It should be handy during hay season.
I bought a rain cap for the exhaust and a toplink at TSC today, then worked it a little this evening.

Attachments

• 0328001213a (800 x 600).jpg
    0328001213a (800 x 600).jpg
    195 KB · Views: 168
  • 0328001213b (800 x 600).jpg
    0328001213b (800 x 600).jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 0328001820a (800 x 600).jpg
    0328001820a (800 x 600).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 159

shvl73

It's my second. My wife uses our Mahindra to feed and muck out stalls so this will help me mow, ted and rake.

shvl73

Thanks Bob! It does seem real straight. That was one of the things that made me look closer at it, and well, you know the result. I had to have it!

shvl73

Thanks! Until the rain hit, I was driving it around the field, just for fun!
What do you think of that chipper, look familiar? :D

Ductape

:wink: I've seen that somewhere before.

Might want to run it sitting on a couple blocks of wood...... pretty steep u-joint angles sitting on the ground.

How far did you have to travel to pick it up?

Archdean

Soon our older stuff will be a century old, I sometimes wonder (and strongly doubt) if there will be a culture left to appreciate the tools and the people who crafted real machines that have endured the test of time or will it all to be heaped into the dustbin of history as rapidly as our society is shredding it's decency and values!

Just a thought............

shvl73

:wink: I've seen that somewhere before.

Might want to run it sitting on a couple blocks of wood...... pretty steep u-joint angles sitting on the ground.

How far did you have to travel to pick it up?
I usually run it at a better angle on the Mahindra. The Massey seems to have shorter lift arms.
I picked it up in Pittsfield, on Rt 107. The guy has about 50 old tractors.

Coolnorth

Hi Shvl73,

That is a nice tractor! I have a Model 20, so no 3PH and still not at the original sheet metal point.

Now I can see by your photos where the differences are (wheel mounts, etc.) I have a winch on the front for a snow plow, old chipper screen for the grille, hand bent AC unit door for the hood....

Graham

Attachments

• P6270153.jpg
    P6270153.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 112

Coolnorth

those wheel weights will be handy if you pull a plow. Never seen a winch up front before.

The winch is a custom add on for the snow/pusher blade.

The rear wheels are different than what shvl73 has, but amazingly, those aren't wheel weights per se, but just the actual wheels themselves. They are cast, have the axle taper in the hub, key-way, etc. The 4 holes are for addition of the weights as required.

Also, I could not source original front wheels, but found trailer rims that worked with tires I could get at our local tire shop.

Attachments

• Blade full view.jpg
    Blade full view.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 90

Coolnorth

Here's a few pics of the rebuild, shows some of the details of how it looked on arrival home, how some of the sub-assemblies look. :wave:

Graham

Attachments

• Engine Right 2.jpg
    Engine Right 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 68
  • Frame-engine-trans.jpg
    Frame-engine-trans.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 68
  • painted parts.jpg
    painted parts.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 69
  • rear view.jpg