We need. Rtv900

Moejoe

I recently purchased a RTV 900 work station model. I love the machine but it seems to be very weak in climbing hill with any speed. My drive is 1800' long with a steep incline and the most speed I can hold is about 10 mph in low. Seems to really strain the engine. I also know about backing out of the throttle to keep the RPMs up. It had about 15 hrs on it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

15 hours is like new. Any warranty still on it?

Have you checked the spark arrestor?

Does the tranny have OEM fluids and filters?

Moejoe

I bought it new last week. I'm not sure there is anything wrong it is just not what I expected very slow. I was warned about the hydrstat being slow but I figured it would do better than it does. It will almost stall out if you keep the pedal on the floor. Like I said I know about keeping the engine RPMs up. It will be lucky to maintain 11-12 mph up my drive.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
RTV's are not speed demons by any means.

I'd give it awhile. They're pretty tight when new. Once things loosen up a little (and after your 50-hour service), you should see some improved performance.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had similar thoughts when I first got my RTV900. I wondered if it would make it up my hills. 3 years later and I love the thing. It does everything I need.
As for the putting the pedal to the metal, yeah, that will cause it to stutter / die. Hydro is different than other trannys. You let off the gas and you get more speed. Not intuitive at all.
10 to 12 up your drive is probably close to what you drive in your car or truck also. That is about the speed I'm going most the time around my place. The RTV is not a speed demon but a work horse. After a while you'll wonder how you ever got by without one.

Moejoe

Thanks for the encouragement.. It is a wonderful machine in all other aspects. I am sure it will loosen up some. If not it still is a great machine.

Kanook

Do you have a hand throttle on it? If not put one on (easy install). Going up a long grade open up the hand throttle and control the speed with the go pedal..Like night and day.