It's official: I'm Retiring

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The paperwork is in. My last day of work at this job will be Dec 28th.

My wife is retiring on the same day.

We plan to travel some ...and catch up on projects around the house. Then ...I have my eye on a couple potential part time jobs that I might want to do, or not. Looking for ideas on how to donate time and efforts but have not zero'd in on one. I'm not ready to be put out to pasture.

I have mixed feelings on all this. I'm not sure how I will handle retirement. I need something to do, to feel needed or that I'm accomplishing something. Will working my property be enough? There is work here but not sure my back or knees can do that 4 or 5 days week. It's all new to me. I'm sure it will all work out. I'm excited but also hoping I will not feel empty or bored.

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
I have been retired for 10 years and have no problem finding something to occupy my time. Of course I am a perfectionist, so I see something is broke or need replaced I have to fix it. No use having it if it doesn't work.

If you looking for something to make a little income, sometimes one of your hobbies can be turned into profit. At any rate look around and you will figure it out, retirement is fun!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Doc you'll soon wonder how you had time to go in to the office every day.

Retirement shouldn't mean ceasing activity! Rather, a redirection of your efforts to other endeavors. Charity work, farm improvements, travel, maybe for months. Why not?

I took early retirement from a government job at half pension at age 54. It's the best decision I ever made. We've always lived below our income and saved. Now looking back 18 years after I retired, we've put two kids through college without debt and our savings are as substantial as the day I retired. Working longer would have been pointless.

Doc, remember Vin Dowd, Daedong from South Australia? He and Mary just completed a year motorcycle trip: SE Asia, China, Russia, then West as far as Ireland then flew over to Bogota, then all the way down to Chile.

http://www.rtw2up.com/ is his (Mary's?) narrative of their adventure country by country. They should be flying home about now.

You gotta see this video in the final chapter, descending the Andes crossing from Argentina into Chile. No boredom here! Now that's doing retirement right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nURD_Zjqzk

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys and thanks for sharing Chris. Awesome. Glad to see what Vin and Mary are up to. Amazing. Good for them. They are truly seeing the world. I'm jealous. I just hope to do a west coarst tour, and a north east tour and maybe slip to Michigan's upper peninsula somewhere along the line.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Doc but you know that since I did a long reply on FF.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep. Thanks again Brian for sharing your wisdom. I felt I should post the news here to as quite I few do not visit the other forum.