e-RTV

cpsseals

Here's a thought, or maybe the start of a new rumor. I'd be the first in line for a new e-RTV 1100 equivalent! Give me something with 4 to 5 hours operating range and the comfort of the 1100. Electric over hydraulics with a PTO. Plug in at the barn at night. It's all I'd ever need. Any thoughts?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a thought, or maybe the start of a new rumor. I'd be the first in line for a new e-RTV 1100 equivalent! Give me something with 4 to 5 hours operating range and the comfort of the 1100. Electric over hydraulics with a PTO. Plug in at the barn at night. It's all I'd ever need. Any thoughts?

Ahhh, FINALLY... you could be known as THE ELECTRIC COWBOY! :yum:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think I'd want an e machine ....till they were tried and proven to be able to tow and carry the load like the RTV's can. Golf carts have come a long way, as have battery powered tools. Very handy. I'm simply not sure the technology is far enough for it to replace the diesel power plant in the RTV.

cpsseals

I see that Polaris has an e-ranger and so far it’s gotten rather good reviews. With the advances in e-vehicles I’m sure an RTV would do very well. Torque is what the diesel is all about and an electric motor makes full torque starting at 0 rpm. Trains have been running on electricity for decades (the diesels only supply the generators) and they produce serious numbers.
I really like the idea of just plugging in at the end of the day and starting fresh and full the next morning. My only concern is the drastically reduced range in extreme cold weather, something we see too much of up here.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I see that Polaris has an e-ranger and so far it’s gotten rather good reviews. With the advances in e-vehicles I’m sure an RTV would do very well. Torque is what the diesel is all about and an electric motor makes full torque starting at 0 rpm. Trains have been running on electricity for decades (the diesels only supply the generators) and they produce serious numbers. ….

ALLLLL-RRRIIIIGHHHTYYYY THENNNN! I can GET BEHIND a Kubota Diesel-Electric! :clap:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just think how quiet it would be..aaaaahhhhhhh.... one could sneak up on a sleeping newborn calf and grab 'em before he had a chance to run off. Whyyy.. that would be really nice for old and/or tired folks . Myself, I find it harder tagging and weighing calves than it used to be. so.. Could it be that gray hair and aching bones actually mean something?

OldMasterTech

Not a Kubota but the Club Car Carryall series is similar to what you describe. No PTO but an electric dump bed, quantity 8 x 6 volt batteries, on-board charger. All aluminum & plastic - no rust!
I have the Carryall 500 but would like to trade it in for a 550 which has a bit more ground clearance.
I never see deer from my 1100 but I spook them all the time in the Carryall!

RickW

Have you checked out the Nikola NZT? Not exactly designed for work but pretty impressive.

Don't forget to throw a solar panel or two up top. It will not solve all your charging needs but will make a difference.

I have a buddy who was doing some testing for a golf course where they removed the old 6v lead acid batteries with some lithium ion batteries on a couple of golf carts. The lithium battery packs where from a Chevy Volt (broke the Volt battery pack in to 48v pack segments). Huge weight reduction going from lead acid to lithium. On lead acid the carts would go out in the morning then have to be placed on the charger for a refresh before being used for an afternoon round. Due to being able to discharge the lithium batteries to 20% state of charge the cart did not need a refresh charge in the middle of the day before sending out for a 2nd round. He threw some old panels he had on top of the maintenance cart and just that little bit of extra charge he was getting from the panels would allow the cart to all day with out needing a recharge.

cpsseals

Have you checked out the Nikola NZT? Not exactly designed for work but pretty impressive.

Wow! That’s crazy! Specially the $80,000.00 starting price tag. I’m sure Kubota could do a 50 hp, enclosed model, with a 50 mile range for $20,000.00.

Electric would be perfect for a work buggy and all the costs involved in making a race car would be avoided