Do older rtv's have titles

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know I have one but as I recall:
- RTV came with a Certificate Of Origin.
- I got a title when I registered it with the State (PA requires registration).

A couple things.
- Depending on your state, some will give you a title but no registration if you request. These are normally for farm use. If you do get it registered, you'll pay sales tax on it.
- Old RTV's were one digit short on the VIN. E.g. KRTV900A410nnnnn. That caused a problem since all the computers that generated the Titles, plates... all required 17 characters but the RTV only had 16. I don't recall what year Kubota fixed it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I didn't get a MS title with my '05 nor my '11. I did pay full sales tax though. Even though it is solely for farm use, it must have a pto to qualify for the lower farm equipment tax..... bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did pay full sales tax though. Even though it is solely for farm use, it must have a pto to qualify for the lower farm equipment tax..... bordercollie
That must be a state thing. So, you had to pay taxes on your new skidsteer? It doesn't have a PTO.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good question, I will check with the bil and let you know. The skid steer is his- I couldn't even think of buying it.
edit:
I called the state when I bought the RTV and the person that answered the phone told me "NO" it had to have a pto to qualify for the lower tax and even read me the "law".. This must not apply to heavy equipment but to the " horsepower or fun things ?". The rate was reduced on the skid steer ....... bureaucacy .... bordercollie

Last edited:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I guess it really depends upon the state as we pay sales tax on equipment but NOT supplies or feed in Georgia........NO title or certificate of origin either back in 05.......God bless........Dennis

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
No title, no tax and no registration. I ain't much for registering things.........:hide:

Heatwave

I didn't get a MS title with my '05 nor my '11. I did pay full sales tax though. Even though it is solely for farm use, it must have a pto to qualify for the lower farm equipment tax..... bordercollie

I didn't know about the pto requirement. I do not find a reference to that in state law, but it may be a standard buried in Department of Revenue minutiae.

Mississippi sales tax is 7%. There's an affidavit farmers have to submit annually to qualify for a 1.5% sales tax on farm equipment and machinery purchases. To qualify for the lower rate, a farmer must certify that he or she is "a farmer growing agricultural products on a commercial scale for market."

http://www.msfb.com/public_policy/sales tax affidavit.aspx

In Mississippi, RTVs aren't "vehicles" requiring a certificate of title or license plates. Indebtedness secured by the RTV is evidenced by a UCC financial statement filed with the state secretary of state. When the debt is paid, the owner receives a formal release document.

treeeman00

ok. I feel better now. The guy I bought my rtv off of said he thought that he would be able to get the title from his company. He bought the rtv from the company he worked for and then he sold and I bought it. He told me today he talked to his company and he said that the titles were non existant. He bought 2 of them and he just got the other one and I can buy it for $4500. 07, manual bed, winshield, heater, 1400 hours.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
ok. I feel better now. The guy I bought my rtv off of said he thought that he would be able to get the title from his company. He bought the rtv from the company he worked for and then he sold and I bought it. He told me today he talked to his company and he said that the titles were non existant. He bought 2 of them and he just got the other one and I can buy it for $4500. 07, manual bed, winshield, heater, 1400 hours.

Weird Heatwave, I will try again the next time I get one since it is only for farm use, however, the dealer said he had people try and "they" always came after them and got what "they" wanted.
treeman, I would get a bill of sale, that way you would be safer if there was a lien etc from way back... bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is good Treeman. One thing about buying used from an individual- they have taken the tax hit. :)
Heatwave here is a link in the Delta Farm Press mentioning the pto: “said 4-wheelers tend to be multi-use items, being used on the farm as well as for hunting, and in his opinion, would not qualify. He also pointed out that even if they were used for spraying, the equipment was not powered by PTO and would not qualify. http://deltafarmpress.com/government/new-mississippi-farm-tax

Heatwave

Heatwave here is a link in the Delta Farm Press mentioning the pto: “said 4-wheelers tend to be multi-use items, being used on the farm as well as for hunting, and in his opinion, would not qualify. He also pointed out that even if they were used for spraying, the equipment was not powered by PTO and would not qualify. http://deltafarmpress.com/government/new-mississippi-farm-tax

The state tax people construe the revenue laws as favorably to the state and unfavorably to the taxpayer as possible. i guess that's how it's supposed to be ... that's their job.

The tax people get down in their 4-point stance and dare you to challenge them, and they're tough to budge. A lotta people lean on their legislators to "put in a good word" for them with the tax agents and legislators try to make a big show of it, but few of them want to do or say anything that may put them on the tax agency's radar screens. Just my view: the presence or absence of a pto is a factor ... but not an ironclad, bulletproof, totally decisive factor ... that should be considered in determining what qualifies as lower-tax farm equipment. It depends on more than that.

I can see where it's impossible to draft a one-size-fits-all regulation or statute governing the tax classification of 4-wheelers. You use yours exclusively for agriculture purposes. You should qualify for the 1.5% sales tax. I use mine for riding around in the woods, giving grandkids bumpy rides and making them laugh and serving up memories of me they will have long after I'm gone. There's no justification for me to claim the 1.5% rate. And everyone else is somewhere in between our two extremes. I won't be buying another RTV, so I'll not worry about the sales tax rate.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Well, here's another old thread worth resurrecting, IMO...
Each state will have it's own laws, of course, but over here in Texas... it makes no difference if a taxable item is sold the first time...or a subsequent time...in most instances, EACH time a sales or "use" tax is due.
Example: I bought an 8-year old used travel trailer as the 5th owner. I paid $28K and the Bill of Sale reflected that. I paid 8.25% sales tax when I titled and registered it. No way out of that.
But buying a used tractor I was able to claim an "Ag/Timber" exemption because I registered with the state as a farmer raising hay. (Absolutely no requirement to report hay sales, but the address must be rural and an inspector "may" visit. Works for me.)
In Tx all off highway 4-wheelers MUST be Titled...but not registered for highway use. NOT allowed on highways unless you are a "farmer or rancher" so I guess you should dress the part when carrying your deer rifle down the county road.
Anyway, no tax on the used RTV (Bill of Sale reflected the $11.5K price) but it had to be Titled to the tune of $33. No sales tax (although I'm not certain why not.. I did show her my ag/timber exemption cert. but she showed no interest.)

That's the way it happened here in Texas this month.