Discolored transmission fluid? RTV 1140

kubota.ray76

Howdy everyone, I changed the coolant after I noticed it was brownish in color. I thought I’d check the transmission fluid since the bed was up and was shocked to see it was off white?

I’m just curious if anyone has experience this before? What caused it and how did you fix it? I haven’t submerged it either...

Thanks

2012 kubota RTV 1140 with 1523 hrs

Attachments

• A9C0D0D9-4126-4C53-B264-5D05EB80E0F7.jpg
    A9C0D0D9-4126-4C53-B264-5D05EB80E0F7.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 46

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome ! Wow that sure looks like it has water in it. Did you buy the RTV new? What brand of hydraulic fluid is that and if you changed it last yourself, was the container sealed ?. I don't have that model but would check the cap and dipstick to make sure they are intact. Wonder if it was pressure washed?
If that were mine, I would not run it at all till the fluid and filters were changed. and maybe changed again after a short use to get the rest of the water out.
One member this happened to used a cheaper fluid to flush with but the filters would have to be changed each time anyways. Transmissions are so expensive that it would be worth the price to flush it out well. Good Luck !! bordercollie

edit: how does the engine oil look?

kubota.ray76

I bought the utility vehicle used form an auction.

I replaced the transmission fluid with tractor supply’s Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid.

The fill cap and dip stick are intact.

I did pressure wash but I’m not sure how water would have made it’s way into the tranny?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
replace with Kubota fluid or cry later. check to see if you have transmission fluid in the coolant???. off color could be air in the oil also. foaming oil is a bad deal in these tranns.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Did you check those fluids when you bought it? Or did you operate it awhile and then find this?

The previous owner may have submerged it and perhaps that's why he sold it?

MOst of us agree that only Kubota fluids and filters be used in these things if you want to avoid troubles.

Check the transmission case for cracks or holes. One place that can happen on some models is where the exhaust pipe leaves the exhaust manifold... about 10" aft the forward part of the muffler bolts to the top of the transmission housing and if the exhaust pipe fractures or separates from the flange at the manifold... the mounting bracket on top of the transmission can crack and that will allow water to enter.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it is possible that your transmission oil cooler has a leak allowing transfer of fluids. look at the filters for the tran. one has coolant lines running to a ring around the filter base. i suspect that you may have forced water in while washing. don't fool around with milky oil or you will need new plates in your pumps soon.

kubota.ray76

I’ll definitely give it a look tomorrow, I just drained the fluids and i will fill it up tomorrow morning, how do you flush the transmission fluid? I’m guessing you drain the fluids, filters fill it up and drive it around and repeat?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
KubotaRay.76 On my 2011 RTV 900, the Sudt2 transmission fluid is so clean at changing time that I need to hold the dip stick horizontal and press on my finger. That way, it leaves a wet outline of where the oil is on my finger as the stick is too invisible with the clear oil to see. I have 4,166 hours on my machine right now. kubota hydraulic fluid and filters are all I have ever used in the transmission. But as I mentioned on an earlier post have used JD premium II motor oil since we have it for our big farm tractors... but I never ever use the JD hydraulic fluid and it is good stuff and expensive too...
I would also get enough sudt to change the knuckle cases and the front diff. it doesn't take much but that is one of the most overlooked maintenance chores and it's really not hard. I also use a really good "red" grease, to grease the rear ujoints and they have held up great. These ujoints have around 2,300 hrs on them since I replaced them myself. :) collie

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I’ll definitely give it a look tomorrow, I just drained the fluids and i will fill it up tomorrow morning, how do you flush the transmission fluid? I’m guessing you drain the fluids, filters fill it up and drive it around and repeat?

Kubota.ray76.... THAT IS A GOOD USE FOR THE CHEAP AFTERMARKET HYDRAULIC FLUID...such as that cheap TSC fluid. Use it to FLUSH the system, then when it looks good again, change the FILTER and the FLUID to Genuine Kubota. Remember tho'.... the existing filter will likely contain a lot of water in it and make the "flushing fluid" contaminated …. so, expect to see some still. It's a shame but it may require a couple of flushings to get it all out. :myopinion:

RickW

I agree that sudt2 fluid should be so clear on the stick you can not see it easily. Currently the fluid in the RTV1100C only has about 50hrs on it. Still as clear as the day it was put in. Currently in my B3030 tractor the sudt2 fluid has around 175hrs on it. Also it is still so clear that when I am checking fluid levels I have to press the dipstick on a dry, clean shop towel in order to accurately check the fluid level.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the system case drains completely. the only fluid left in the system will be in the steering a few hoses and the lift on the bed. you can put the lift lever in float and hand cycle the cylinder to purge most of that oil. i would fill at 1/2 rate with Kubota fluidthen start for about 20 seconds then shut off drain and refill. some of the synthetic oils don't mix well.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
replace with Kubota fluid or cry later. check to see if you have transmission fluid in the coolant???. off color could be air in the oil also. foaming oil is a bad deal in these tranns.
Some members with the newer machines had trouble with their transmissions because the fill ports were poorly described and they ended up actually thinking they were refilling the transmission but weren't. I don't know about this model of yours but just confirm the right fill port. Also as Arthuritis said, the foaming of the cheaper transmission oils are not good for the RTV transmissions. Only flush with the cheap stuff. Members way back tried this and had weird acting transmissions as well. I did once as a young RTV owner under the assurance of a fellow at the Kubota front desk (Gold Bond) and just literally threw that money plus the K filters away. Got it out as fast as I could.. just a couple of hours I think...Never again ... We live and learn... I would like to know how that water look got there though.. And your radiator.. that is strange... Now that being said, I'm getting my RTV ready to sell and did the whole maintenance thing to it Fuel filter, engine oil transmission, all the filters , air, knuckle cases , front end, and greasing. but not the power steering this time .. My antifreeze looked pretty and green from the cap area, but when I drained it, it was discolored and not so pretty.. So maybe its just the same case... I put some generic antifreeze in andat 50/50 and drove it the past weeks and now has the good stuff in it. Maybe your antifreeze was discolored likewise and that all. I hope so. bordercollie