Best rpm

warcloud

I have a BX 2360 with 3 hours on it I need a little input from you experts. My tractor manual states not to run engine at full RPM until after the 50 hr. break in. The mower manual states to run engine at full RPM for best results. I guess I need to know which way to go less RPM while mowing or full speed. If less RPM what rpm you all suggest?

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
It is a little contradictory, isn't it?

On every tractor I've been on the PTO rpm is not full rpm. There is usually a couple of hundred rpm to spare above the PTO mark. What I did with mine is that during the break-in period I backed off another 200 - 300 rpm while mowing and just took it a little bit slower. I never saw any difference in the quality of the cut. I also did other work with it that didn't require high revs and soon racked up the 50 hours. I honestly don't know if it did any good or not but it made me feel as if I was complying with the manufactures instructions and gave me a certain peace of mind. Also, I think it is more important not to let the engine labor or lug down during the break-in period rather than watching an absolute value on the rpm meter. JMO.

Now, the M5700 at the farm was thrashed from hour one and it hasn't affected it at all.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Warcloud. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
Congrats on getting a new tractor. :thumb: :clap:

I did the same as Frank. I backed down the RPM a tad until I had the 50 hour service done. Then I bumped it up to the mark for PTO mowing. I was only 2 or 300 RPM shy and like Frank said, I didn't notice any difference in the cut quality. Course with new blades that sure helps. Plus the big grin that was on my face for weeks after I got her home ...I might have been a little biased. Really though it worked fine that way.