RTV Windshield

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I bought one of these windshields (hardcoat ) for my rox yesterday and saw they were available for certain RTVs also. They're not currently on sale but you never know. I'll post a review when mine comes in and let folks know my impression of it. https://www.sidebysidestuff.com/dot-approved-full-windshield-kubota-rtv900.html bordercollie

There's a video on bottom of their RTV windshield ad showing the hardness test on different plastics. .

v10rick

Site Supporter
I installed a sidebyside windscreen on my RTV900. Shipping was delayed but it arrived in perfect condition.

The mounting clamps require an occasional check for tightness. The windshield rattles when the clamps loosen up. The tape supplied to prevent rattling does not help much.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi V10rick, Did yours have the hardcoat and if so, can you tell if it scratches less? I saw that wipers were for sale there for those windows and wondered how the lexan could hold up unless the hardcoat really worked. ? thanks for the reply. bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if you can find a piece of 1/8 inch thick plate steel and have someone like a machine shop use a plasma cutter to cut out the center then you can prime and paint it and take it to a glass shop to have a piece of safety glass put in with rubber molding. you can also have it drilled for wipers at the same time. i would bet that you would have less money in it than lexan and it would be more durable. i used to have these made for machinery through the years. works great. want to save even more money then have four strips welded together in a rectangle and then have the plasma cutter trim to fit the inside dimension for the glass. remember to make the bottom a little wider so you can add defrosters. some of the glass shops that work for machinery dealers and trucking can fabricate the whole thing in house.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I used rubberized gasket-tape wrapped around the ROPS at the point where the clamps fit to take up the slack. Works great.

Here’s a hint on how to care for Lexan: When you clean it, use only aircraft type cleaners (found online or at local airports) specifically for plastic windows. DO NOT USE WINDEX WITH AMMONIA or anything else with ammonia or you will severely damage/craze the plastic.
When you wash the windshield, wet it down with water (or water/Dawn det solution, or aircraft window cleaner) and use soft cotton or SOFT paper towels...Gently, and only in a VERTICAL DIRECTION., IE, wipe it only UP and DOWN...NEVER horizontally or in any circular motions.... or the windshield will eventually develop fine scratches that will cause glare at night.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i use a company called "Aircraft Spruce" for online purchases. they have always been good to me.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
i use a company called "Aircraft Spruce" for online purchases. they have always been good to me.

Thanks, I ordered a product called Plexus. It says on the label that it was developed for the aircraft industry. It was shipped a couple of days ago-rather expensive too . It's worth it though to preserve a window . It also said somewhere in what I read that it helps keep the plastic on modern automotive headlights clear. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00092CKN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

v10rick

Site Supporter
Hi V10rick, Did yours have the hardcoat and if so, can you tell if it scratches less? I saw that wipers were for sale there for those windows and wondered how the lexan could hold up unless the hardcoat really worked. ? thanks for the reply. bordercollie

Honestly I have not needed to clean it since the installation. It has been smacked hard by overhanging brush, while traveling through the woods. No noticeable marks on the surface.
It is made of MR10 hard coated polycarbonate

Cleaning instructions by the mfg...

1) A mixture of a mild liquid dish soap and water is recommended for the
cleaning solution
2) Only use a soft, micro-fiber cloth to wipe gently and do not scrub
3) Rinse well and air dry

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's great to hear V10 rick. I'm looking forward to getting it, I'm hoping the one I ordered will work for me - I see it was made in the USA too . :tiphat: collie

ytr1903

I have found a very good alternative to spending megabucks for a factory windshield. Here it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Viny...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

We bought this material back in March.I doubled the border over and installed grommets at around 6 inch intervals, attached the whole piece of material to the front rollover bars with wire ties and have not had one problem with it since installing. That being said, I am careful when travelling through the woods so that a branch doesn't damage it. Several have lightly brushed it with no damage, though. We were so happy with the results that we made a rear windshield and it is just as useful and successful as the front windshield.

Tom

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That looks like really good stuff. I bet it will work too. Back years ago I made a cheap windshield out of thin plastic and wooden frames- being a 2 piece windshield. However I think I would have liked this material much more than that. I also made my very first windshield on the 05 with that heat shrink (hairdryer) window film. It was ok for a short while but was very, very delicate . Great find and thanks for posting !! collie

edit.. this is a link to the windshield I made on the cheap - but I wish I had put your material in it.http://www.nettractortalk.com/forum...highlight=cheap+windshield+bordercollie+style

ytr1903

Bordercollie,
I used the window film for around 5 years. It worked great, but like you said, it was fragile. I probably replaced it once or twice a year. The new windshield is mounted on the horizontal pvc pipes that mounted the window film.
Tom

man00

Not sure if Honda still has their all purpose cleaner/wax but it was very good for glass, plastic and paint..and fairly cheap