I broke my Tractor L245dt

Black Cloud

I got stuck and was lifting my self out of the hole with the bucket and I torqued too hard.I was supporting the back end with the hoe bucket. To make a rather long and sad story short I broke the main transmission housing. I stopped everything before I seized up but the main housing is broken. So I guess the backhoe has to be taken off and the loader bucket. The service manual I have does not speak specifically to this job. Where do I start ? I would imagine this is way beyond wrenching a few bolts? The internal tran parts would probably have too removed,special tools etc. I am so P.O.ed at myself right now. Any advice or help is welcome.

shvl73

You'll have to split the tractor, a major job for some, not so for others. Your wrenching ability & determination will be key factors. Do you have anyone local with experience to assist?

Black Cloud

Yes I have an experienced friend who can help me. I will find out on Monday about parts. Hopefully I can get a new housing, the tractor is a 1982 so wish me luck.

shvl73

if parts are not readily available (I'd bet they are available), google search for tractor junkyards or used Kubota parts. I think it will go well if you have an experienced hand to help. I'd try it if it came to that and I am a bit of a hack. Goog luck and keep us posted on any progress. If you have any welding/fabricating skill, you might fab a subframe from the loader mounts back to the rear axle.

Black Cloud

The part is discontinued. I am going to haul it into town and pay the price to have the tractor split. There is a very experienced welder who figures he can fix it. It was quite an experience getting it out of the clay bog. One of my friends who lives on the lake about 5 doors down has a Bobcat and is a pretty handy guy. We lifted the hoe off and then chained it up through the front axles and back through. We parked the trailer on a hill and let the tractor roll down onto the ramps being controlled by the Bobcat. It went like clockwork. The most fortunate thing is the loader subframe was ahead and behind the break so it kept things from getting out of hand. I will be hauling it into town on Wednesday; in the meantime I am going to look for a used part. I was also thinking that a subframe for the hoe would be a good idea. Hanmey does not sell one so maybe a fabricated one would do. Are there any good information sources out there that would give me some design ideas on this.

Black Cloud

I played on the net last night and West kentucky has already replied to my e-mail. Sounds like a competent outfit. I am waiting a call back from a farm salvage outfit in Ontario Canada and will probably go that route as it will be quicker. Customs often slows things down considerably. Thanks for your information. I will keep everyone posted. I will be looking very seriously at getting a sub frame for the hoe as I think this may have been the route cause of the break.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd have to agree a sub frame for the hoe would be a good idea. :thumb:

Good luck with the repair. I'm not a sadist or anything like that, but would like to see pics of the tractor and your mishap if you have them to share.

Black Cloud

The excitement is over and the tractor is safely on it's trailer. I should have taken pictures. My rather excellent neighbour who owns a skid steer Bobcat was the brains of the operation. He also finished the work I was doing on my pole shed so I can complete my framing etc. The clutch casing or housing was cracked al the way around. If not for the loader sub frame the unit would have been in two pieces. Live and learn I guess. I actually questioned the salesman on this necessity of a sub frame and he convinced me it was not required. That is simply not the case, it is definitely required. I snapped that casing like a dry twig with very little effort on my part. It will be approx. a $1400 lesson. Good thing I love my orange friend. The wife is looking at it a little sideways at this time however.

dsl

broke massey 571 in fla. & 5 more of the 71 series in us 600 hrs.

we all teemed up & massey fixed it, and some others to.You must search to see if your tractor was a problem tractor like these were!:tiphat:

dsl

study & research it first(could be a factory defect)ck that first,

just plan it and go at it slow,be organized and lable things.a factory book would be helpful/very helpful.also ask around on the disscussion forums to see if some one has a book that they might send u copies of those few pages,or your local dealer.Come to think of it i had a l 245 took it on trade for rebuilding a injection pump on another kubota for it,i just sold it then should have been a 2 cylinder diesel.Good luck!

Black Cloud

The part is coming. The toughest part will be signing the cheque and hauling it into town. There are some switchbacks that are rather anal sphincter tightening. There is active logging right now so I am going to wait for the sand truck and then take a rather slow drive in to Smithers. Thanks for all your help and I will send in pictures down the road after I have the sub frame fabricated and installed. This will not be until the new year.

fbson395

L245DT

I also have a L245DT and most of the repair books. If you let me know what you want I can e-mail them to you. Also you may go to tractorsmart.com and get the complete breakdown for free. Best of luck.