2N problems

haffasst

OK Guys,I need advice from real mechanic's. My 1946 2N hasn't run in two years. I changes oil and filters. It cranked up and sounded pretty good. I added water to the radiator and it filled the exhaust stack (vert stack) and then ran out the carb. (not good).

I suspect a cracked block but is there anyplace a head gasket would let water from the water jacket enter the exhaust without causing significant compression loss. It runs OK without water in the radiator.

This is a pic of the old girl.

Attachments

• 100_1796-640x480.jpg
    100_1796-640x480.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14

Mith

Is it possible that one cylinder has compression loss, but it runs OK on the others?
Probably worth popping the head off anyway, should be able to see if there is a break in the head gasket then.

haffasst

Thanks mith, Yep the head has to come off either way. Jus thought someone would come along and say "that's your head gasket" wishful thinking. I have a new one laying on the work bench.

shinnlinger

Halffasst,

I am curous how your wrenching went. It seems that those flatheads are pretty simple.

NOw on that note, there are converson kits to bolt a flathead V8 into your rig....now that would get the neighbors talking if your 4 banger ended up being a boat anchor.

haffasst

I have the head off now. I don't see anything wrong with the block, so this Saturday I am going to put a new head gasket, torque it good and then run a compression test. If all checks out, I'll have it running Sunday.

Attachments

• 100_1808.jpg
    100_1808.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1810.jpg
    100_1810.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1813.jpg
    100_1813.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1812.jpg
    100_1812.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1817.jpg
    100_1817.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Your photos sure bring back memories. Is that the same head as on the pre-war 221ci Ford V8?

haffasst

California, I think it is. I undrestand old "Henry" copied as many parts from one vehicle to another as he could. The original steering wheel was the same one used on trucks of the day. The 4 cyl flat head is 1/2 of the V8. Very simple to work on and very reliable. This one has been modified by me. It has the front mt dist. but it runs on electronic ign, a standard automotive tube coil,

haffasst

Well I got a break. I installed a new head gasket, cleaned the carb, ran a compression check and it started right up. Not many pic's because there was nothing to see. Just need to re-install the hood and re-torque the head bolts.:rolleyes:

btw: the compression was about 65# on all cylinders.

Attachments

• 100_1829.jpg
    100_1829.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1830.jpg
    100_1830.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1831.jpg
    100_1831.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 14

haffasst

Well it's coming along. Last night I reset the carb. re-torqued the head bolts, but the hood down, put the grill back, installed the front bumper. The PTO seal was leaking so I knew the hydraulic and tranny fluid was low. I stopped at NAPA today at lunch and 5 gals of GL-1 oil is now $60.64. Guess I'm going to change that seal tonight.:pat:

Mith

Glad it going well, and boy do you work fast! :D I'm guessing that the water no longer floods into the exhaust then.

Keep up with the pics, maybe some of the trans and diff?
BTW, if I may ask, how long is your toplink? Need to buy one for my tractor......
Cheers

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good work and great pics. Way to bring that 2N back to life. Makes me wish I still had my 8N just to tinker with. :D

haffasst

It's all back together and running like new.

Attachments

• 100_1843.jpg
    100_1843.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1844.jpg
    100_1844.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 11

Tommie

Flatheads

I'm not a mechanic but my dad was and I remember him saying back in the early 50s that a lot of them had cracked heads. Back in them days there were a lot of us tring to get more HP out of them than posible. I had a 49 and we pulled the flathead and put a chrysler hemi 338 cu in . My dad said that was the only car in town that jumped across intersections. That car ate for tranys for lunch. Long story I'll put it in the car section someday.