Propane tank

Well I went and stoled a 1000 gal propane tank. Not really I bought it at Govdeals.com for $101.00. Going to make a water hauling tank out of it.:cool:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dumb question, but wouldn't a plastic one be lighter and better suited for that application?

urednecku

Careful with it, don't forget most of those are double-walled. I've heard of people cleaning em out good, maybe even filling with water before cutting, then use a torch to cut a hole in it----BOOM!!! It only takes a real small leak in the inner wall.......

I'll admit tho, I've thought of getting one for a roller.

AND, $101 ain't much money for that size tank! Congrats!

I worked propane for 6 and 1/2 years. I never seen a double wall tank any size. Yes it will be heavy but the Texas sun does funny things to plastic in about 3 years. They must be properly purged to cut or weld. I have done alot of them, and never had one blow up.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kewl. So you know what you are getting into for sure. Never thought of the affects of the Texas sun on plastic. Good point.
How big is 1000 gallon propane tank? Post a pic if you don't mind.
Congrats on the find. I guess 101 dollars is a good deal for one.

Jeep

texas sun will dry it out then it break's into little pcs I have that problem with my spray tanks Jeep

B

bczoom

1000 gallons for hauling water? Do I interpret that as you're going to have this tank be mobile? That's going to be over 4 tons. What are you putting it on?

OK My back is feeling a little better so I will try to give an answer with out acting like a horsesa$$. I am going to only use this tank if the well goes dry. If I have to use it to soon it will have to be on a 16 ft trrailer. I just won't be able to fill it. I later plan to put an axle under it with brakes and duals. The tank weighs 1800 lbs and the water will weigh 8330 lb. All of this has been given some serioius thought and had a pen put to it several times before I bought the tank. I really appreciate all the thoughts an help.